No users shown on welcome screen

Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system was
stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin, administrator,
etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe mode, tried
boot from cd rom. nothing...
help !!!!!
Dennis

dani

damn thats a new one on me...the only option i could recommend would be to
find your system restore from dos. hundred dollars says that yourwelcome
screen is most likely another folder in your system and has been renamed...if
u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have this virus
problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging like submarine
sonars, which would draw it like a magnet if you have been online at all in
the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as ya msn
messengers. with no protection its a sitting duck, still could be something
totally different. If you know your way around dos try that and also look
around for your sys.ini file. if you know your way around dos you will be
able to tell immediately if this is your prob cus the files will be in odd
places.

"Dennis McMurtry" wrote:

> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system was
> stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin, administrator,
> etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe mode, tried
> boot from cd rom. nothing...
> help !!!!!
> Dennis

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> damn thats a new one on me...the only option i could recommend
> would be to
> find your system restore from dos. hundred dollars says that
> yourwelcome
> screen is most likely another folder in your system and has
> been renamed...if
> u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have
> this virus
> problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging
> like submarine
> sonars, which would draw it like a magnet if you have been
> online at all in
> the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as
> ya msn
> messengers. with no protection its a sitting duck, still
> could be something
> totally different. If you know your way around dos try that
> and also look
> around for your sys.ini file. if you know your way around dos
> you will be
> able to tell immediately if this is your prob cus the files
> will be in odd
> places.
>
> "Dennis McMurtry" wrote:
>
> > Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown,
> system was
> > stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or
> deleted.
> > do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
> administrator,
> > etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe
> mode, tried
> > boot from cd rom. nothing...
> > help !!!!!
> > Dennis

"find your system restore from dos."

good luck, you canot access NTFS partions using DOS

"hundred dollars says that yourwelcome screen is most likely another
folder in your system and has been renamed"

I’ll have that $100 then, it’s not a folder.

"u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have this
virus problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging like
submarine sonars"

How can you ping a computer that dosnt have anetwork connection of any
sort? and further more you can only ping on one port, that been port
7.

"which would draw it like a magnet if you have been online at all in
the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as ya msn
messengers."

How ever you percive this "pinging" concept, it’s wrong. Ping works
by a computer sending another computer some data on port 7, that
computer will then send the exact same data back also on port 7 (be
that UDP or TCP) Also, if you didnt notice, this person dose not have
an internet connection.

"with no protection its a sitting duck, still could be something
totally different."

This person dosnt need protection, no internet connection! The only
way a virus could get on to the computer is via a storage device or
media, which is uncommon these days, in the times of yesturyear when
MS-DOS and PC-DOS where the most commonly used OS’s around it was
the most common method of virus infection.

"If you know your way around dos try that and also look around for
your sys.ini file."

Windows XP dosnt have or run on DOS, and why would missing users on
welcome screen indicate to you some thing is wrong with the sys.ini
file?

"if you know your way around dos you will be able to tell immediately
if this is your prob cus the files will be in odd places."

Again, windows XP is not equiped or based on DOS, and why would files
in odd places indicate "this" (what ever you are refering to) was the
problem?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-users-shown-screen-ftopict400894.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327118

One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.

Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator account, which is
prevented by account restrictions from logging on.
Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the beginning of
the startup process. After you're up and running in Safe Mode, you can run User
Accounts to create one or more new accounts.

Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you on as administrator
without a password (provided a password was not created in this hidden account during
setup).

Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.

Accessing Safe Mode. #12
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
and/or
How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039

If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership of your files if they
still exist.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative
privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to
the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that
has Administrative rights.

"Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system was stable for
> past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin, administrator, etc, no
> passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe mode, tried boot from cd rom.
> nothing...
> help !!!!!
> Dennis

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Safe mode does not cure the problem is it possible to get to the C
prompt and then do a re-install of win ??
Or worst case, re-format the hard drive and start from fresh..??
Dennis

TaurArian [MVP] wrote:
> One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.
>
> Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator
> account, which is prevented by account restrictions from logging on.
> Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the
> beginning of the startup process. After you're up and running in Safe
> Mode, you can run User Accounts to create one or more new accounts.
>
> Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you on as
> administrator without a password (provided a password was not created in
> this hidden account during setup).
>
> Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
>

> Accessing Safe Mode. #12
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
> and/or
> How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039
>

> If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership of your
> files if they still exist.
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>
> NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
> administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition,
> in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in
> Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.
>

> "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
>
>> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system
>> was stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
>> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
>> administrator, etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried
>> safe mode, tried boot from cd rom. nothing...
>> help !!!!!
>> Dennis

Do you have TweakUI?

If yes, open TweakUI
[+] Logon
Make sure that Show "Name" on Welcome screen is checked.
Click Apply
Click OK

Have a look here...
Read the instructions at the top
Scroll down to
22. Hide Users on Welcome Screen - Unhide
Click on Unhide

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OW5x8RskFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
dennis <dmcm@infinet.net> hunted and pecked:
> Safe mode does not cure the problem is it possible to get to the C
> prompt and then do a re-install of win ??
> Or worst case, re-format the hard drive and start from fresh..??
> Dennis
>
> TaurArian [MVP] wrote:
>> One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.
>>
>> Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator
>> account, which is prevented by account restrictions from logging on.
>> Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the
>> beginning of the startup process. After you're up and running in Safe
>> Mode, you can run User Accounts to create one or more new accounts.
>>
>> Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you on as
>> administrator without a password (provided a password was not created in
>> this hidden account during setup).
>>
>> Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
>>

>> Accessing Safe Mode. #12
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
>> and/or
>> How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039
>>

>> If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership of your
>> files if they still exist.
>>

>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>>
>> NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
>> administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition,
>> in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in
>> Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.
>>

>> "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system
>>> was stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
>>> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
>>> administrator, etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried
>>> safe mode, tried boot from cd rom. nothing...
>>> help !!!!!
>>> Dennis

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Safe mode does not cure the problem is it possible to get to
> the C
> prompt and then do a re-install of win ??
> Or worst case, re-format the hard drive and start from
> fresh..??
> Dennis
>
> TaurArian [MVP] wrote:
> > One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.
> >
> > Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the
> Administrator
> > account, which is prevented by account restrictions from
> logging on.
> > Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing
> F8 at the
> > beginning of the startup process. After you're up and
> running in Safe
> > Mode, you can run User Accounts to create one or more new
> accounts.
> >
> > Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you
> on as
> > administrator without a password (provided a password was
> not created in
> > this hidden account during setup).
> >
> > Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
> >

> > Accessing Safe Mode. #12
> > http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
> > and/or
> > How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039
> >

> > If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership
> of your
> > files if they still exist.
> >

> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
> > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> >
> > NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account
> that has
> > administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP
> Home Edition,
> > in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first
> start in
> > Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative
> rights.
> >

> > "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users
> shown, system
> >> was stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or
> deleted.
> >> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
> >> administrator, etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot
> get in. tried
> >> safe mode, tried boot from cd rom. nothing...
> >> help !!!!!
> >> Dennis

I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is load
recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the recovary
console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32, then make a copy of
logon.scr (so you can restor it later) then delete logon.scr and copy
cmd.exe to logon.scr, then close recovary console and restart so
windows boots.

Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command prompt will
apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1) when commpand promt
apears you must quickly type out the following command,
"C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must be done quickly becasue
cmd will close with in a few minuets of it opening, this will load the
user managment screen, quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the
user mangment screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this
way yopu can at least logon.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-users-shown-screen-ftopict400894.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327611

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"Sparda" wrote:
> I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
> load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
> recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
> then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
> then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
> close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
>
> Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command
> prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
> when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
> following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
> be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
> of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
> quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
> screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
> yopu can at least logon.

From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
perhaps I’m wrong.

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> How ever you percive this "pinging" concept, itâ?Ts wrong. Ping works
> by a computer sending another computer some data on port 7, that
> computer will then send the exact same data back also on port 7 (be
> that UDP or TCP)

Ping does not work by sending anything to 'port 7'. In fact, ping resides in
the network layer of the OSI model below TCP/UDP - ping does not use any
transport protocols. Ping uses ICMP Types & Codes (not ports) which is
likely where your confusion stems.

Cheers!.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

The problem is , I CANNOT get into winxp to load anything, the xp
install disc does nothing, even if I change boot sequence to cd rom, a,
c, , I think the best thing is to try and get to format and start
clean, how do I do that when xp seems to take control of the screen and
keeps me out ???

Sparda wrote:
> "Sparda" wrote:
> > I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
> > load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
> > recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
> > then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
> > then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
> > close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
> >
> > Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command
> > prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
> > when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
> > following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
> > be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
> > of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
> > quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
> > screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
> > yopu can at least logon.
>
> From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
> perhaps I’m wrong.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Cured the problem!!! boot from cd rom only works on xp home disc if you
wait till the boot from cd rom message goes away , then you have about 5
secs to press any key and win xp install will appear.....thanks for all
the interest and ideas..

dennis wrote:
> The problem is , I CANNOT get into winxp to load anything, the xp
> install disc does nothing, even if I change boot sequence to cd rom, a,
> c, , I think the best thing is to try and get to format and start
> clean, how do I do that when xp seems to take control of the screen and
> keeps me out ???
>
> Sparda wrote:
>
>> "Sparda" wrote:
>> > I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
>> > load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
>> > recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
>> > then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
>> > then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
>> > close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
>> > prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
>> > when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
>> > following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
>> > be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
>> > of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
>> > quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
>> > screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
>> > yopu can at least logon.
>>
>> From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
>> perhaps I’m wrong.

TRENDING THREADS