No users shown on welcome screen

Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system was
stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin, administrator,
etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe mode, tried
boot from cd rom. nothing...
help !!!!!
Dennis
10 answers Last reply
More about users shown screen

    damn thats a new one on me...the only option i could recommend would be to
    find your system restore from dos. hundred dollars says that yourwelcome
    screen is most likely another folder in your system and has been renamed...if
    u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have this virus
    problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging like submarine
    sonars, which would draw it like a magnet if you have been online at all in
    the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as ya msn
    messengers. with no protection its a sitting duck, still could be something
    totally different. If you know your way around dos try that and also look
    around for your sys.ini file. if you know your way around dos you will be
    able to tell immediately if this is your prob cus the files will be in odd
    places.

    "" wrote:
    > damn thats a new one on me...the only option i could recommend
    > would be to
    > find your system restore from dos. hundred dollars says that
    > yourwelcome
    > screen is most likely another folder in your system and has
    > been renamed...if
    > u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have
    > this virus
    > problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging
    > like submarine
    > sonars, which would draw it like a magnet if you have been
    > online at all in
    > the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as
    > ya msn
    > messengers. with no protection its a sitting duck, still
    > could be something
    > totally different. If you know your way around dos try that
    > and also look
    > around for your sys.ini file. if you know your way around dos
    > you will be
    > able to tell immediately if this is your prob cus the files
    > will be in odd
    > places.
    >
    > "Dennis McMurtry" wrote:
    >
    > > Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown,
    > system was
    > > stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or
    > deleted.
    > > do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
    > administrator,
    > > etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe
    > mode, tried
    > > boot from cd rom. nothing...
    > > help !!!!!
    > > Dennis

    "find your system restore from dos."

    good luck, you canot access NTFS partions using DOS

    "hundred dollars says that yourwelcome screen is most likely another
    folder in your system and has been renamed"

    I’ll have that $100 then, it’s not a folder.

    "u have been offline for that long it is unlikely that you have this
    virus problem but then again, all your ports are probably pinging like
    submarine sonars"

    How can you ping a computer that dosnt have anetwork connection of any
    sort? and further more you can only ping on one port, that been port
    7.

    "which would draw it like a magnet if you have been online at all in
    the last few days, esp visiting any of the old haunts such as ya msn
    messengers."

    How ever you percive this "pinging" concept, it’s wrong. Ping works
    by a computer sending another computer some data on port 7, that
    computer will then send the exact same data back also on port 7 (be
    that UDP or TCP) Also, if you didnt notice, this person dose not have
    an internet connection.

    "with no protection its a sitting duck, still could be something
    totally different."

    This person dosnt need protection, no internet connection! The only
    way a virus could get on to the computer is via a storage device or
    media, which is uncommon these days, in the times of yesturyear when
    MS-DOS and PC-DOS where the most commonly used OS’s around it was
    the most common method of virus infection.

    "If you know your way around dos try that and also look around for
    your sys.ini file."

    Windows XP dosnt have or run on DOS, and why would missing users on
    welcome screen indicate to you some thing is wrong with the sys.ini
    file?

    "if you know your way around dos you will be able to tell immediately
    if this is your prob cus the files will be in odd places."

    Again, windows XP is not equiped or based on DOS, and why would files
    in odd places indicate "this" (what ever you are refering to) was the
    problem?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-users-shown-screen-ftopict400894.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327118

    One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.

    Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator account, which is
    prevented by account restrictions from logging on.
    Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the beginning of
    the startup process. After you're up and running in Safe Mode, you can run User
    Accounts to create one or more new accounts.

    Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you on as administrator
    without a password (provided a password was not created in this hidden account during
    setup).

    Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.

    Accessing Safe Mode. #12
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
    and/or
    How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039

    If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership of your files if they
    still exist.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative
    privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to
    the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that
    has Administrative rights.

    "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system was stable for
    > past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
    > do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin, administrator, etc, no
    > passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried safe mode, tried boot from cd rom.
    > nothing...
    > help !!!!!
    > Dennis

    Safe mode does not cure the problem is it possible to get to the C
    prompt and then do a re-install of win ??
    Or worst case, re-format the hard drive and start from fresh..??
    Dennis

    TaurArian [MVP] wrote:
    > One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator
    > account, which is prevented by account restrictions from logging on.
    > Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the
    > beginning of the startup process. After you're up and running in Safe
    > Mode, you can run User Accounts to create one or more new accounts.
    >
    > Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you on as
    > administrator without a password (provided a password was not created in
    > this hidden account during setup).
    >
    > Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
    >

    > Accessing Safe Mode. #12
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
    > and/or
    > How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039
    >

    > If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership of your
    > files if they still exist.
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
    > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    >
    > NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
    > administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition,
    > in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in
    > Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.
    >

    > "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users shown, system
    >> was stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or deleted.
    >> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
    >> administrator, etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot get in. tried
    >> safe mode, tried boot from cd rom. nothing...
    >> help !!!!!
    >> Dennis

    Do you have TweakUI?

    If yes, open TweakUI
    [+] Logon
    Make sure that Show "Name" on Welcome screen is checked.
    Click Apply
    Click OK

    Have a look here...
    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to
    22. Hide Users on Welcome Screen - Unhide
    Click on Unhide

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OW5x8RskFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    dennis <dmcm@infinet.net> hunted and pecked:

    "" wrote:
    > Safe mode does not cure the problem is it possible to get to
    > the C
    > prompt and then do a re-install of win ??
    > Or worst case, re-format the hard drive and start from
    > fresh..??
    > Dennis
    >
    > TaurArian [MVP] wrote:
    > > One possibility, deleted all local user accounts.
    > >
    > > Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the
    > Administrator
    > > account, which is prevented by account restrictions from
    > logging on.
    > > Instead, you must start Windows XP in Safe Mode by pressing
    > F8 at the
    > > beginning of the startup process. After you're up and
    > running in Safe
    > > Mode, you can run User Accounts to create one or more new
    > accounts.
    > >
    > > Once in safe mode - select Administrator and it will log you
    > on as
    > > administrator without a password (provided a password was
    > not created in
    > > this hidden account during setup).
    > >
    > > Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
    > >

    > > Accessing Safe Mode. #12
    > > http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#12
    > > and/or
    > > How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
    > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039
    > >

    > > If you manage the above, then you may need to take ownership
    > of your
    > > files if they still exist.
    > >

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
    > > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    > >
    > > NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account
    > that has
    > > administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP
    > Home Edition,
    > > in order to have access to the Security tab, you must first
    > start in
    > > Safe Mode and log on with an account that has Administrative
    > rights.
    > >

    > > "Dennis McMurtry" <dmcmurtry@telus.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Help !! welcome screen comes on Win xp home, no users
    > shown, system
    > >> was stable for past year, not on internet, nothing added or
    > deleted.
    > >> do ctrl alt del get box with log in name etc, tried admin,
    > >> administrator, etc, no passwords ever used. still cannot
    > get in. tried
    > >> safe mode, tried boot from cd rom. nothing...
    > >> help !!!!!
    > >> Dennis

    I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is load
    recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the recovary
    console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32, then make a copy of
    logon.scr (so you can restor it later) then delete logon.scr and copy
    cmd.exe to logon.scr, then close recovary console and restart so
    windows boots.

    Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command prompt will
    apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1) when commpand promt
    apears you must quickly type out the following command,
    "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must be done quickly becasue
    cmd will close with in a few minuets of it opening, this will load the
    user managment screen, quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the
    user mangment screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this
    way yopu can at least logon.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-users-shown-screen-ftopict400894.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327611

    "Sparda" wrote:
    > I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
    > load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
    > recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
    > then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
    > then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
    > close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
    >
    > Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command
    > prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
    > when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
    > following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
    > be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
    > of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
    > quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
    > screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
    > yopu can at least logon.

    From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
    perhaps I’m wrong.

    "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

    > How ever you percive this "pinging" concept, itâ?Ts wrong. Ping works
    > by a computer sending another computer some data on port 7, that
    > computer will then send the exact same data back also on port 7 (be
    > that UDP or TCP)

    Ping does not work by sending anything to 'port 7'. In fact, ping resides in
    the network layer of the OSI model below TCP/UDP - ping does not use any
    transport protocols. Ping uses ICMP Types & Codes (not ports) which is
    likely where your confusion stems.

    Cheers!.

    The problem is , I CANNOT get into winxp to load anything, the xp
    install disc does nothing, even if I change boot sequence to cd rom, a,
    c, , I think the best thing is to try and get to format and start
    clean, how do I do that when xp seems to take control of the screen and
    keeps me out ???

    Sparda wrote:
    > "Sparda" wrote:
    > > I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
    > > load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
    > > recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
    > > then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
    > > then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
    > > close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
    > >
    > > Now (in theory when the screen saver tries to load command
    > > prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
    > > when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
    > > following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
    > > be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
    > > of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
    > > quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
    > > screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
    > > yopu can at least logon.
    >
    > From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
    > perhaps I’m wrong.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Cured the problem!!! boot from cd rom only works on xp home disc if you
    wait till the boot from cd rom message goes away , then you have about 5
    secs to press any key and win xp install will appear.....thanks for all
    the interest and ideas..

    dennis wrote:
    > The problem is , I CANNOT get into winxp to load anything, the xp
    > install disc does nothing, even if I change boot sequence to cd rom, a,
    > c, , I think the best thing is to try and get to format and start
    > clean, how do I do that when xp seems to take control of the screen and
    > keeps me out ???
    >
    > Sparda wrote:
    >
    >> "Sparda" wrote:
    >> > I think I have the answer to your problem, what you must do is
    >> > load recovary console (from XP install disk) then using the
    >> > recovary console navigate your way to C:windowssystem32,
    >> > then make a copy of logon.scr (so you can restor it later)
    >> > then delete logon.scr and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr, then
    >> > close recovary console and restart so windows boots.
    >> > prompt will apeara, at leaste this works on Service Pack 1)
    >> > when commpand promt apears you must quickly type out the
    >> > following command, "C:WINDOWSSystem32nusrmgr.cpl" this must
    >> > be done quickly becasue cmd will close with in a few minuets
    >> > of it opening, this will load the user managment screen,
    >> > quickly (becasue when cmd closes, so will the user mangment
    >> > screen) add a new user and set it as administrator, this way
    >> > yopu can at least logon.
    >>
    >> From what I understood all user acount some how got deleted, but
    >> perhaps I’m wrong.

Windows XP