Computer to computer connection

ms

Please forgive this newbie question:

Two laptop computers, both running Windows XP Pro, both with PC card
wireless networking adapters. (Although one card is "B" (from D-Link), and
one card is "G" (from Netgear).)

Can these two computers, not in any standard network, connect to each other
via the wireless cards, without cables, to transfer files back and forth?

If so, how should I set the settings to get that result. I guess that would
be considered an "ad-hoc" network, no?, since there are no routers or
servers, etc. Besides setting "ad-hoc", what other settings would need to be
made?

Each of the cards comes with configuration software for setting the
settings. Since they are from different manufacturers, the software is
different for each card (although similar). I believe Win XP also comes with
wireless network configuration capability. Should I use the manufacturer's
configuration utilities to set the computers up to connect, or just use the
utility built into Win XP Pro?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

You are on the right track.

Install the cards drivers (AD-Hoc Mode).

Configure the Network and the sharing.

Configuration of the Sharing is the same for Wire and Wireless.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Please forgive this newbie question:
>
> Two laptop computers, both running Windows XP Pro, both with PC card
> wireless networking adapters. (Although one card is "B" (from D-Link), and
> one card is "G" (from Netgear).)
>
> Can these two computers, not in any standard network, connect to each
other
> via the wireless cards, without cables, to transfer files back and forth?
>
> If so, how should I set the settings to get that result. I guess that
would
> be considered an "ad-hoc" network, no?, since there are no routers or
> servers, etc. Besides setting "ad-hoc", what other settings would need to
be
> made?
>
> Each of the cards comes with configuration software for setting the
> settings. Since they are from different manufacturers, the software is
> different for each card (although similar). I believe Win XP also comes
with
> wireless network configuration capability. Should I use the manufacturer's
> configuration utilities to set the computers up to connect, or just use
the
> utility built into Win XP Pro?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

ms

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't yet got it to work.

Both the cards are set to Ad Hoc. They do seem to connect with each other,
both have an icon in the system tray that there is a connection.

Both hard drives are set for sharing, the whole hard drive of each.

However, I cannot get them to communicate with each other. If I look in "My
Computer" in either, I cannot see the drive from the other computer listed.
If I click on "Tools", "Map Network Drive", it doesn't find the drive of the
other computer.

I have run the "Network Setup Wizard (Windows XP Pro) on both. One of them
set up as main Internet connection. (Although I'm really not doing this for
internet connection, just to transfer files, etc.) The Wizard seemed to do
its thing and complete OK.

What have I done wrong, or not done?

Thank you.

"Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> You are on the right track.
>
> Install the cards drivers (AD-Hoc Mode).
>
> Configure the Network and the sharing.
>
> Configuration of the Sharing is the same for Wire and Wireless.
>
> Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
> Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Please forgive this newbie question:
> >
> > Two laptop computers, both running Windows XP Pro, both with PC card
> > wireless networking adapters. (Although one card is "B" (from D-Link),
and
> > one card is "G" (from Netgear).)
> >
> > Can these two computers, not in any standard network, connect to each
> other
> > via the wireless cards, without cables, to transfer files back and
forth?

> > If so, how should I set the settings to get that result. I guess that
> would
> > be considered an "ad-hoc" network, no?, since there are no routers or
> > servers, etc. Besides setting "ad-hoc", what other settings would need
> be
> > made?
> >
> > Each of the cards comes with configuration software for setting the
> > settings. Since they are from different manufacturers, the software is
> > different for each card (although similar). I believe Win XP also comes
> with
> > wireless network configuration capability. Should I use the
manufacturer's
> > configuration utilities to set the computers up to connect, or just use
> the
> > utility built into Win XP Pro?
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS