can anyone help with installation of ATI Drivers?

I am getting no where with ATI. I have recently replaced my nVidea 4600ti
card with a Sapphire X800XL AGP and at the moment can only run the card on
'VGASAVE'. Tried installed CAT 5.5 both from hardware wizard where I get the
following message 'there was a problem installing this hardware. Video
Controller (VGA compatible). An error occurred during the installation of
the device. The data is invalid' OR direct from the drivers where I get the
following message 'setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set
up your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup'

Can anyone provide some advise on how I can get these installed before I
take the card back to PC World and exchange for nVidea.

I have a P2.4 running on Intel D845GBV motherboard

I have installed, re-installed the ATI drivers. I have installed and
un-installed the existing nVidea drivers. I have tried in SAFE mode and now
at a loss on how to get these drivers in

Really appreciate some expert guidance

Dave

Worth a try with Omega drivers?
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

David Hewitt wrote:
> I am getting no where with ATI. I have recently replaced my nVidea 4600ti
> card with a Sapphire X800XL AGP and at the moment can only run the card on
> 'VGASAVE'. Tried installed CAT 5.5 both from hardware wizard where I get the
> following message 'there was a problem installing this hardware. Video
> Controller (VGA compatible). An error occurred during the installation of
> the device. The data is invalid' OR direct from the drivers where I get the
> following message 'setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set
> up your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup'
>
> Can anyone provide some advise on how I can get these installed before I
> take the card back to PC World and exchange for nVidea.
>
> I have a P2.4 running on Intel D845GBV motherboard
>
> I have installed, re-installed the ATI drivers. I have installed and
> un-installed the existing nVidea drivers. I have tried in SAFE mode and now
> at a loss on how to get these drivers in
>
> Really appreciate some expert guidance
>
> Dave

On my old GF2 I used to get the 'Data is invalid' error. It was on a
Windows 2000 machine and basically the error was an obscure one which
was to do with permissions in the registry (Even happens if you're
running as administrator - some permissions are set to read only for a
bizarre reason)

Having a quick search around the web I found how to solve the error
again - and I believe you could try this for yours:

(from here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-256959.php)

ofn01 wrote:
> David Hewitt wrote:
>
>> I am getting no where with ATI. I have recently replaced my nVidea
>> 4600ti card with a Sapphire X800XL AGP and at the moment can only run
>> the card on 'VGASAVE'. Tried installed CAT 5.5 both from hardware
>> wizard where I get the following message 'there was a problem
>> installing this hardware. Video Controller (VGA compatible). An error
>> occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid'
>> OR direct from the drivers where I get the following message 'setup
>> was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display
>> adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup'
>>
>> Can anyone provide some advise on how I can get these installed before
>> I take the card back to PC World and exchange for nVidea.
>>
>> I have a P2.4 running on Intel D845GBV motherboard
>>
>> I have installed, re-installed the ATI drivers. I have installed and
>> un-installed the existing nVidea drivers. I have tried in SAFE mode
>> and now at a loss on how to get these drivers in
>>
>> Really appreciate some expert guidance
>>
>> Dave
>>

> On my old GF2 I used to get the 'Data is invalid' error. It was on a
> Windows 2000 machine and basically the error was an obscure one which
> was to do with permissions in the registry (Even happens if you're
> running as administrator - some permissions are set to read only for a
> bizarre reason)
>
> Having a quick search around the web I found how to solve the error
> again - and I believe you could try this for yours:
>
> (from here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-256959.php)
>

> > That error is due to a registry permission
> > prob Dan (If you use XP)
> >
> > Go to start/run. Type regedit.
> >
> > Then go here.
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI
> >
> > Go the entry where it shows that videocard (click
> > on the [+]'s). When u find it, highlight it, and select
> > permissions, then tick Full control. Reboot, then
> > the driver should load with no probs at all.

P.S. I think from memory you're meant to set the permissions to full
control, then do the driver install (setup.exe), THEN reboot the machine
and it should all install fine.

Or it could be that you do the setup.exe for the driver install after
doing an initial reboot after doing the registry changes (if the first
option above does not work then try this one)

"David Hewitt" <david.p.hewitt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Paul, the Sapphire card requires a separate power supply. Inside the PC
> there already existed a power lead running from the PSU to the hard =
> drive.
> The lead from the PSU was split two ways, one supplying the hard drive
> =
> and
> the other hanging free. I used the free one to plug into the Sapphire =
> card.
>
> The card is functioning under the VGASAVE drivers so I assume the card
> =
> is
> ok. Would it still be necessary to check the IRQ setting on the =
> motherboard?
> The previous nVidea 4600ti ran fine though it didn't require an
> external
> power lead.
>
> I am sure the power supply is providing adequate wattage though there
> is
> nothing visible to show what it is. I would be very surprised if it is
> =
> below
> 300W. Do you know if there is an easy way to check?
>
> Appreciate your help. Just a bit frustrating having spent over =A3200 =
> and
> can't get the card to work
>
> Dave

Uninstall the ATI drivers. There is a program called NFR (Nasty File
Remover) at www.guru3d.com . Set it for ATI and run it to get all the old
ATI driver remnants out. Then set it for Nvidia to take care of those before
rebooting. Reboot and install the drivers. My X850 PCIE by Sapphire uses the
ATI reference drivers, not sure about yours. If in doubt, just use the
latest drivers from Sapphire's site. Good luck.

Ed