Question regarding Advanced Filesharing - Recognizing Netw..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi,

I've read about this already but have failed to get it to work. I have a
few computers in my house on a wireless network and I want to share a folder
on a computer that has XP Pro SP2. I want this shared folder only to be
accessible, over the network, by one other computer in my house (XP Home) but
not the rest. I disabled simple file sharing but the problem is that when I
try to set the permissions for the folder, it does not recognize the user
account name on the remote computer that I want to grant access to. From
what I've read I think I am supposed to grant access by using user account
names but I could be wrong. Please let me know what I have to do
specifically to get my main computer to recognize and grant access to a
single computer on my network for a shared folder.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

- Dan
6 answers Last reply
More about question advanced filesharing recognizing netw
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:8D724478-FCCF-4DAF-889F-9327E2E46B18@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've read about this already but have failed to get it to work. I have a
    > few computers in my house on a wireless network and I want to share a
    > folder
    > on a computer that has XP Pro SP2. I want this shared folder only to be
    > accessible, over the network, by one other computer in my house (XP Home)
    > but
    > not the rest. I disabled simple file sharing but the problem is that when
    > I
    > try to set the permissions for the folder, it does not recognize the user
    > account name on the remote computer that I want to grant access to.

    If you have a peer-to-peer network (ie not a network with a domain
    controller) then security information is held locally on each machine
    connected to the network. Therefore you have to tell each machine what users
    are able to access it. So you must create a user with the same user name and
    with the exact password and access rights on the XP pro machine as the
    log-in on the XP Home machine. Then you will be able to grant that user
    permissions to access the folder.

    HTH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Awesome reply, Gordon - it works.

    Is there any way I can get it so that the account is not able to be logged
    into on the xp pro computer? The only reason I added the account was so that
    the remove (xp home) computer could access the share via the network. When I
    go to switch users on the xp pro machine, however, the new account was added
    to the list. Is there anyway to make it so that the remote computer (w/same
    useraccount name/pass) can access the share while keeping the account off the
    login-account list on the local (xp pro) computer?

    Thanks.

    - Dan

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:8D724478-FCCF-4DAF-889F-9327E2E46B18@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've read about this already but have failed to get it to work. I have a
    > > few computers in my house on a wireless network and I want to share a
    > > folder
    > > on a computer that has XP Pro SP2. I want this shared folder only to be
    > > accessible, over the network, by one other computer in my house (XP Home)
    > > but
    > > not the rest. I disabled simple file sharing but the problem is that when
    > > I
    > > try to set the permissions for the folder, it does not recognize the user
    > > account name on the remote computer that I want to grant access to.
    >
    > If you have a peer-to-peer network (ie not a network with a domain
    > controller) then security information is held locally on each machine
    > connected to the network. Therefore you have to tell each machine what users
    > are able to access it. So you must create a user with the same user name and
    > with the exact password and access rights on the XP pro machine as the
    > log-in on the XP Home machine. Then you will be able to grant that user
    > permissions to access the folder.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:7B2DE67C-570C-49B7-A01A-361168B65D0C@microsoft.com...
    > Awesome reply, Gordon - it works.
    >
    > Is there any way I can get it so that the account is not able to be logged
    > into on the xp pro computer? The only reason I added the account was so
    > that
    > the remove (xp home) computer could access the share via the network.
    > When I
    > go to switch users on the xp pro machine, however, the new account was
    > added
    > to the list. Is there anyway to make it so that the remote computer
    > (w/same
    > useraccount name/pass) can access the share while keeping the account off
    > the
    > login-account list on the local (xp pro) computer?
    >

    Don't use the Welcome screen log-in on the pro machine.Start-Control
    Panel-User Accounts-Change the way users log in. That will get the old
    W2K-style log-in screen. in addition, you can use gpedit.msc to ensure that
    users need to press Ctl-Alt-Del before logging on, and that the last
    logged-on username is not displayed in the username field.

    HTH
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Gordon,

    Thanks for the helpful reply, but now something else is not right :-\ After
    creating this new account that I named "Daniel" and giving it administrator
    priveleges, the default account that I was using before, "Administrator", was
    removed from the login list. The only one I now see is "Daniel". I couldn't
    figure out how to remove "Daniel" from the list so I got over that, but now
    my main account is gone! The settings and stuff are still in my Document &
    Settings so I know it is not deleted. Also, I tried to create a new account
    and called it "Administrator" and it said that the account already exists.
    How can I get the "Administrator" name back on my welcome list so that I can
    use that one, because that is my main account with all of my settings.

    Thanks,

    - Dan

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:7B2DE67C-570C-49B7-A01A-361168B65D0C@microsoft.com...
    > > Awesome reply, Gordon - it works.
    > >
    > > Is there any way I can get it so that the account is not able to be logged
    > > into on the xp pro computer? The only reason I added the account was so
    > > that
    > > the remove (xp home) computer could access the share via the network.
    > > When I
    > > go to switch users on the xp pro machine, however, the new account was
    > > added
    > > to the list. Is there anyway to make it so that the remote computer
    > > (w/same
    > > useraccount name/pass) can access the share while keeping the account off
    > > the
    > > login-account list on the local (xp pro) computer?
    > >
    >
    > Don't use the Welcome screen log-in on the pro machine.Start-Control
    > Panel-User Accounts-Change the way users log in. That will get the old
    > W2K-style log-in screen. in addition, you can use gpedit.msc to ensure that
    > users need to press Ctl-Alt-Del before logging on, and that the last
    > logged-on username is not displayed in the username field.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dan wrote:

    > Gordon,
    >
    > Thanks for the helpful reply, but now something else is not right :-\
    > After creating this new account that I named "Daniel" and giving it
    > administrator priveleges, the default account that I was using before,
    > "Administrator", was
    > removed from the login list. The only one I now see is "Daniel". I
    > couldn't figure out how to remove "Daniel" from the list so I got over
    > that, but now
    > my main account is gone! The settings and stuff are still in my
    > Document &
    > Settings so I know it is not deleted. Also, I tried to create a new
    > account and called it "Administrator" and it said that the account
    > already exists. How can I get the "Administrator" name back on my
    > welcome list so that I can use that one, because that is my main
    > account with all of my settings.
    >

    The default Administrator account is still there, but is no longer shown
    when you create another account with administrative privileges. Make a
    new account for yourself and copy over the data from Administrator to
    your own new account. Save the Administrator account as a fail-safe
    backup account.

    Copy a User Account -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Malke,

    Thanks for the helpful reply. I followed the instructions on the link you
    posted to copy the files to the new account but I got the following error
    "Cannot copy index: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file
    with a user-mapped section open." Something strange is that the guide says
    that i'm looking for 3 files not to transfer and I only found NTUSER.dat and
    ntuser.dat.txt. I did not find Ntuser.dat.log or Ntuser.ini. I'd really
    like to get that account info back so anything would help. Thanks so much.

    - Dan

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >
    > > Gordon,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the helpful reply, but now something else is not right :-\
    > > After creating this new account that I named "Daniel" and giving it
    > > administrator priveleges, the default account that I was using before,
    > > "Administrator", was
    > > removed from the login list. The only one I now see is "Daniel". I
    > > couldn't figure out how to remove "Daniel" from the list so I got over
    > > that, but now
    > > my main account is gone! The settings and stuff are still in my
    > > Document &
    > > Settings so I know it is not deleted. Also, I tried to create a new
    > > account and called it "Administrator" and it said that the account
    > > already exists. How can I get the "Administrator" name back on my
    > > welcome list so that I can use that one, because that is my main
    > > account with all of my settings.
    > >
    >
    > The default Administrator account is still there, but is no longer shown
    > when you create another account with administrative privileges. Make a
    > new account for yourself and copy over the data from Administrator to
    > your own new account. Save the Administrator account as a fail-safe
    > backup account.
    >
    > Copy a User Account -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows XP