Whats the slowest CPU I can buy that will outperform the R..

Bradley

Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me to
utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great deal of
extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as closely
matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra headroom on
the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain how this is
determined or post some links to some article on this subject matter. That
would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I forgot how to
determine it myself. Please help. Thanks.

JB

"Bradley" <bnorth1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me
> to utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great deal
> of extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as closely
> matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra headroom
> on the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain how this is
> determined or post some links to some article on this subject matter. That
> would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I forgot how
> to determine it myself. Please help. Thanks. <

I don't know an objective way of determining that but I can give you my
results: My P4-1.8A running at 2.77 gives 3dmark2001E benchmarks up to
15300 with Cat 4.12 drivers on that card. If I overclock the video card,
the performance stays about the same. That might imply the cpu cannot keep
the video card saturated but not necessarily. If I go one notch higher
(18MHz) on the system clock and hold the video card at stock speed, the
benchmark goes down. If I slow the cpu to 2400MHz, overclocking the video
card increases the benchmark but nowhere near 15300.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Bradley" <bnorth1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me
> to utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great deal
> of extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as closely
> matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra headroom
> on the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain how this is
> determined or post some links to some article on this subject matter. That
> would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I forgot how
> to determine it myself. Please help. Thanks.

I *think* you'd have to get a 3ghz CPU before the graphics card would start
to be the bottleneck but I doubt it would be noticeable at low resolutions
like 800 or 1024.

Bradley wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me to
> utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great deal of
> extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as closely
> matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra headroom on
> the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain how this is
> determined or post some links to some article on this subject matter. That
> would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I forgot how to
> determine it myself. Please help. Thanks.

What CPU do you have now?
What is the best CPU that your current system (motherboard/RAM) can support?
What is the best CPU you can buy for the money you have to spend?
What ideally is the amount of money you want to spend at a minimum?

Obvious

Distinguished
May 31, 2002

Bradley wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me to
> utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great deal of
> extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as closely
> matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra headroom on
> the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain how this is
> determined or post some links to some article on this subject matter. That
> would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I forgot how to
> determine it myself. Please help. Thanks.

There's no hard and fast rule. Some software is more processor intensive
due to more complex in game physics, AI etc.

As somebody else said, the Athlon 64 3000+ Venice processor is very much
the best bang for the buck at the moment so if you can stretch to one of
these then you're set. Just make sure you have a motherboard that will
support overclocking and that thing could be a flying machine.

The DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D is a very good choice at the moment.

Obvious

Distinguished
May 31, 2002

obvious wrote:
> Bradley wrote:
>
>> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow
>> me to utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a
>> great deal of extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard
>> are as closely matched in terms of performance as possible with a
>> little extra headroom on the CPU side of things. And if someone can
>> actually explain how this is determined or post some links to some
>> article on this subject matter. That would be great. I've read some of
>> this stuff in the past but I forgot how to determine it myself. Please
>> help. Thanks.
>>

> There's no hard and fast rule. Some software is more processor intensive
> due to more complex in game physics, AI etc.
>
> As somebody else said, the Athlon 64 3000+ Venice processor is very much
> the best bang for the buck at the moment so if you can stretch to one of
> these then you're set. Just make sure you have a motherboard that will
> support overclocking and that thing could be a flying machine.
>
> The DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D is a very good choice at the moment.

:doh: while the above motherboard is great, it doesn't have an AGP slot.

MDK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005

"Bradley1" wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that
> will allow me to
> utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a
> great deal of
> extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as
> closely
> matched in terms of performance as possible with a little
> extra headroom on
> the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain
> how this is
> determined or post some links to some article on this subject
> matter. That
> would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but I
> forgot how to
> determine it myself. Please help. Thanks.

My approach to this is simple. Whether you are maxing the GPU or the
CPU depends on what you are running. Assuming you are talking games
this varies from game to game.
But these days decent cpus and motherboards are so cheap anything you
get will be pretty much good enough.
If you really have to go cheap stay away from Celerons and you’ll be
ok. Get a Sempron or Athlon XP.
Just for reference here a 9800 Pro can be had for ~$165 and a sempron
2800 is ~$113 both of which in my view are decent every level CPUs.
And athlon 64 3000 is ~ 180.
You can look up some of the reviews and benchmarks on tomshardware.com
for more info about cpu bound titles incase you need more specific
info.
Hope this helps.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Whats-slowest-CPU-buy-outperform-Radeon-9800-Pro-ftopict57221.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=288024

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

your cpu is still limiting you

my Athlon Mobile at 2500 Mhz (mhz not + rateing)
gets 20000 in 3dmark 2001 on a radeon 9800 pro

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bradley" <bnorth1@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Can somebody please tell me the slowest CPU I can buy that will allow me
>> to utilize the full power of the Radeon 9800 Pro. I dont have a great
>> deal of extra cash so I need to make sure my CPU and videocard are as
>> closely matched in terms of performance as possible with a little extra
>> headroom on the CPU side of things. And if someone can actually explain
>> how this is determined or post some links to some article on this subject
>> matter. That would be great. I've read some of this stuff in the past but
>> I forgot how to determine it myself. Please help. Thanks. <
>
> I don't know an objective way of determining that but I can give you my
> results: My P4-1.8A running at 2.77 gives 3dmark2001E benchmarks up to
> 15300 with Cat 4.12 drivers on that card. If I overclock the video card,
> the performance stays about the same. That might imply the cpu cannot
> keep the video card saturated but not necessarily. If I go one notch
> higher (18MHz) on the system clock and hold the video card at stock speed,
> the benchmark goes down. If I slow the cpu to 2400MHz, overclocking the
> video card increases the benchmark but nowhere near 15300.

TRENDING THREADS