about Window Update site/Window Genuine Advantage???

i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making me
install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is this
another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security patches
and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't a
mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
4 answers Last reply
More about about window update site window genuine advantage

    "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
    >me
    > install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
    > this
    > another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
    > thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
    > patches
    > and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
    > mistake or accidentally by microsoft.

    This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    * Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:

    > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
    >>me
    >> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
    >> this
    >> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
    >> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
    >> patches
    >> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
    >> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
    >
    > This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
    >
    > See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

    And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
    windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
    accusing.

    Jason

    Don't install it. That's easy. It does NOTHING FOR YOU. Just helps
    Microsoft sell more.

    "Jason" wrote:

    > * Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:
    > >
    > > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
    > >>me
    > >> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
    > >> this
    > >> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
    > >> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
    > >> patches
    > >> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
    > >> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
    > >
    > > This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
    > >
    > > See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx
    > >

    > And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
    > windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
    > accusing.
    >
    > Jason

    As long as they are offering it for free go for it.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "skwertball" <skwertball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Don't install it. That's easy. It does NOTHING FOR YOU. Just helps
    > Microsoft sell more.
    >
    > "Jason" wrote:
    >
    >> * Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:
    >> >
    >> > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
    >> >
    >> > See
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx
    >> >

    >> And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
    >> windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
    >> accusing.
    >>
    >> Jason

Security Microsoft Windows XP