Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

about Window Update site/Window Genuine Advantage???

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2005 9:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making me
install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is this
another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security patches
and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't a
mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 3:53:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:87BA9136-FD1C-490B-A7AC-8D71BEB8FF86@microsoft.com...
>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
>me
> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
> this
> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
> patches
> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
> a
> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.

This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.

See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-...



--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User
July 28, 2005 2:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

* Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:
>
> "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:87BA9136-FD1C-490B-A7AC-8D71BEB8FF86@microsoft.com...
>>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
>>me
>> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
>> this
>> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
>> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
>> patches
>> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
>> a
>> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
>
> This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
>
> See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-...
>
>
>

And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
accusing.

Jason
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2005 12:25:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Don't install it. That's easy. It does NOTHING FOR YOU. Just helps
Microsoft sell more.

"Jason" wrote:

> * Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:
> >
> > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:87BA9136-FD1C-490B-A7AC-8D71BEB8FF86@microsoft.com...
> >>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's making
> >>me
> >> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB. Is
> >> this
> >> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install it? I
> >> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
> >> patches
> >> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this isn't
> >> a
> >> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
> >
> > This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
> >
> > See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-...
> >
> >
> >
>
> And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
> windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
> accusing.
>
> Jason
>
July 30, 2005 5:17:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

As long as they are offering it for free go for it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"skwertball" <skwertball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F5DBC26D-6748-4334-BE53-3641D7670971@microsoft.com...
> Don't install it. That's easy. It does NOTHING FOR YOU. Just helps
> Microsoft sell more.
>
> "Jason" wrote:
>
>> * Colin Nash [MVP] <cnash>:
>> >
>> > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:87BA9136-FD1C-490B-A7AC-8D71BEB8FF86@microsoft.com...
>> >>i visited window Update website to check for security update, it's
>> >>making
>> >>me
>> >> install the Window Genuine Advanteage Tools (KB892130) size 443.00KB.
>> >> Is
>> >> this
>> >> another update on Window Update? is this normal? is it ok to install
>> >> it? I
>> >> thought Window Genuine Advantage Tools is not required for security
>> >> patches
>> >> and its only required for add-ons? Just want to make sure that this
>> >> isn't
>> >> a
>> >> mistake or accidentally by microsoft.
>> >
>> > This is legitimate... new policy from Microsoft.
>> >
>> > See
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-...
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> And apparently already thankfully easily bypassed. And no I dont run
>> windows so I don't have pirated copies to worry about before folks start
>> accusing.
>>
>> Jason
>>
!