Catalyst 5.6 Released

Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:

>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.

50%. That would be nice. 10% across the board would be even better.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:24:02 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:
>
>>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>
>50%. That would be nice. 10% across the board would be even better.

www.rage3d.com has an article and some graphs showing the difference
between earlier and the latest 5.6 drivers. The graphs show that 5.2
had some of the fastest FPS rates until 5.6 which is now showing the
highest FPS rates in most of the catagories.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:

>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.

I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
any of the newer games.

Ak

fisher

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:37:31 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
wrote:

>I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
>demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
>into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
>smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
>Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
>any of the newer games.
>
>Ak

I played the complete FarCry on Cat 5.1 and a 9800pro with not a
single crash.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:
>
>>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>
> I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
> demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
> into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
> smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
> Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
> any of the newer games.
>
> Ak

Ive played Far Cry through on a 9700 without a single crash. On a
2ghz CPU with 1gb RAM you should be able to play 1024 med/high settings
very nicely. Crashes are caused by overheating or a poorly setup system or
insufficent power supply - if your hardware is a bit slow then all you
should expect
is poor performance not crashes.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:22:24 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>>
>> I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
>> demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
>> into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
>> smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
>> Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
>> any of the newer games.
>>
>> Ak
>>

>Ive played Far Cry through on a 9700 without a single crash. On a
>2ghz CPU with 1gb RAM you should be able to play 1024 med/high settings
>very nicely. Crashes are caused by overheating or a poorly setup system or
>insufficent power supply - if your hardware is a bit slow then all you
>should expect
>is poor performance not crashes.

I got an AMD Barton 3200+ with 1GB ram with a 240GB Sata Raid drive
and I've forgotten what the power supply has but I know it is more
than enough >= 450watts. My cpu gets up to 45C on full load and the
video card is not overclocked, although I could get another 5% out of
it that way.

The other games I have like Unreal Tournament 2004 all play great at
1280x1024. 3DMark05 gets a score of 2304 - no crashes but pretty low
frame rate.

Am I right that is that video card goes into recovery mode it has
crashed? Maybe it is the Far Cry Demo that has the problem.

Ak

i got an amd 2500+@3200+ , 1 gb in dual channel with an 9800pro.
i play mostly UT2004 at 1280x1024. I see NO improvements whatsoever. Even
more, this is the first time when I am actually using the CC and not the
simple interface. Since i installed it, the computer seems slower,
applications take longer to load, boot up time is longer, not to talk about
the launch of the CC, which take twice as much to load than the normal
interface.

Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:
>

>>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>

> I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
> demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
> into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
> smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
> Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
> any of the newer games.
>
> Ak

I have heard that the Far Cry demo is pretty dodgy, I myself could not
get it to run. I have been able to play through the whole game though.
Its a good game - a bit overly difficult in parts though, but well worth
playing.

Vellu

Sleepy kirjoitti:
> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:03 -0700, DelRay <No@spam4me.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>>yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>>
>>I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
>>demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
>>into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
>>smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
>>Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
>>any of the newer games.
>>
>>Ak

> Crashes are caused by overheating or a poorly setup system or
> insufficent power supply - if your hardware is a bit slow then all you
> should expect is poor performance not crashes.

Or the fact that you tried a DEMO. Those are not finished products, and
often can be unstable...

Performance wise, your 9700 Pro isn't bad at all (atleast it shouldn't be).

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:00:02 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Sleepy kirjoitti:
>> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message

>>>I installed 5.6 and was a bit impressed. I downloaded the Far Cry
>>>demo and gave it a try. I did not get very far and cried as it went
>>>into VPU recovery mode and sent undeliverable email to
>>>smartsave@ati.com. First time I have seen my video card crash - a
>>>Radeon 9700 Pro. Guess it may be time to move on if I want to play
>>>any of the newer games.
>>>
>>>Ak
>
>> Crashes are caused by overheating or a poorly setup system or
>> insufficent power supply - if your hardware is a bit slow then all you
>> should expect is poor performance not crashes.
>>

>Or the fact that you tried a DEMO. Those are not finished products, and
>often can be unstable...

That is what I am starting to think too.

>Performance wise, your 9700 Pro isn't bad at all (atleast it shouldn't be).

5 to 10 fps in parts of 3DMark05 is pretty pityful. If I had any game
with fps that low either the game would go into the garbage or I would
get a new video card.

I am looking at a 6800GT but do not want to go with AGP as that is
being phased out and PCI-E requires a new mortherboard, cpu... etc.
mucho dinaro! :-(

Ak

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:00:02 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Sleepy kirjoitti:
>>> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message

>>> Crashes are caused by overheating or a poorly setup system or
>>> insufficent power supply - if your hardware is a bit slow then all you
>>> should expect is poor performance not crashes.
>>>

>>Or the fact that you tried a DEMO. Those are not finished products, and
>>often can be unstable...
>
> That is what I am starting to think too.
>

>>Performance wise, your 9700 Pro isn't bad at all (atleast it shouldn't
>>be).
>
> 5 to 10 fps in parts of 3DMark05 is pretty pityful. If I had any game
> with fps that low either the game would go into the garbage or I would
> get a new video card.
>
> I am looking at a 6800GT but do not want to go with AGP as that is
> being phased out and PCI-E requires a new mortherboard, cpu... etc.
> mucho dinaro! :-(
>
> Ak

3dmark2005 is a test and is designed to load evey possible card out there.
The frame rates are only an indication of perfomance wrt to other cards. No
game on the market will load a graphics card as much.
I think you should stop using "test only" software and look to use
benchmarks based upon real games, such as Aqaumark.

"DelRay" <No@spam4me.com> wrote in message
> Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
> yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.

Stop trying to "spin". The detail of their publicity usually says something
like "increases performance of vertex processing by 50% in some games". That
does no means an increase of 50% in frame rates!

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:32:46 +0100, "John Russell"
<john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"DelRay" <No@spam4me.com> wrote in message
>> Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>> yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>
>Stop trying to "spin". The detail of their publicity usually says something
>like "increases performance of vertex processing by 50% in some games". That
>does no means an increase of 50% in frame rates!

Where does it say "in frame rates". I am not trying to spin anything.
Just giving some info so people can check it out for themselves.
Jackass.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:29:33 +0100, "John Russell"
<john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:00:02 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Or the fact that you tried a DEMO. Those are not finished products, and
>>>often can be unstable...
>>
>> That is what I am starting to think too.
>>

>>>Performance wise, your 9700 Pro isn't bad at all (atleast it shouldn't
>>>be).
>>
>> 5 to 10 fps in parts of 3DMark05 is pretty pityful. If I had any game
>> with fps that low either the game would go into the garbage or I would
>> get a new video card.
>>
>> I am looking at a 6800GT but do not want to go with AGP as that is
>> being phased out and PCI-E requires a new mortherboard, cpu... etc.
>> mucho dinaro! :-(
>>
>> Ak
>>
>3dmark2005 is a test and is designed to load evey possible card out there.
>The frame rates are only an indication of perfomance wrt to other cards. No
>game on the market will load a graphics card as much.
>I think you should stop using "test only" software and look to use
>benchmarks based upon real games, such as Aqaumark.

I got Aquamark3 and got a score comparable with other Radeon 9700 Pro
video cards. Everything worked, no crashes and it averaged about 40
fps and did drop as low as 10.8 fps.

Ak

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:32:46 +0100, "John Russell"
> <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"DelRay" <No@spam4me.com> wrote in message
>>> Just in case anyone is interested. ATI released Catalyst drivers 5.6
>>> yesterday. Supposed to increase performance in some games by 50%.
>>
>>Stop trying to "spin". The detail of their publicity usually says
>>something
>>like "increases performance of vertex processing by 50% in some games".
>>That
>>does no means an increase of 50% in frame rates!
>
> Where does it say "in frame rates". I am not trying to spin anything.
> Just giving some info so people can check it out for themselves.
> Jackass.

The implication was plain for all to see, inaccuracy through selective
exclusion!
I bet you even believed it did mean "frame rates" untill I posted!