More about hijacked

    From: "Muttley" <Muttley@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Could I have a virus or has XP been fiddled with remotely? When I turn on
    | the computer it comes up with a black screen and the following message:
    |
    | "We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully.
    | A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." - I havn't
    | done any changes!!
    |
    | It then goes on about the computer stopping or restarting unexpectedly,
    | nothing similar had happened.
    |
    | It then goes on about power failures during startup, nothing like that
    | happening.
    |
    | It then gives me the option to start windows normally or in safe mode, safe
    | mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, Last known good
    | configuration. None of these get anywhere. It just keeps going back to the
    | black screen with the message.

    Sounds like an OS corruption not a HiJack.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I will assume windows xp did not change remotely.
    What I suggest is this
    Restart your computor at hit the del key or esc which ever your system uses
    to bring up the bios chip setup.
    Reset it to standard configuration.
    save and exit
    When you reboot up if it ask you to start up in any mode select safe mode.
    that buy passes any non standard configurations.
    Restore setup back to last known working system configuration.
    Reboot
    If it hang's at that point you most likely have a hardware problem at boot
    up
    Check all connections/plugs that can cause a hardware failure on some
    machines.
    If you ever changed your registry and killed the wrong file it will cause a
    haing also.
    due to the system expecting to load a file.

    If all else fails then us a hammer ....

    hope this helps
    oh and turn off all vir programs and pop up blockers
    see if system runs normally then.

    "Muttley" <Muttley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could I have a virus or has XP been fiddled with remotely? When I turn on
    > the computer it comes up with a black screen and the following message:
    >
    > "We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start
    > successfully.
    > A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." - I havn't
    > done any changes!!
    >
    > It then goes on about the computer stopping or restarting unexpectedly,
    > nothing similar had happened.
    >
    > It then goes on about power failures during startup, nothing like that
    > happening.
    >
    > It then gives me the option to start windows normally or in safe mode,
    > safe
    > mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, Last known good
    > configuration. None of these get anywhere. It just keeps going back to
    > the
    > black screen with the message.

Windows XP