Restrict folder access of Guest

Hi,

I have XP. When I logon as Guest, without need of password, I can see
ALL folders and open all files. In Security of folders, "Everyone",
has been removed. How do I selectively restrict access of Guest, and
other Users, to folders and files?

I don't understand why Guest has access to everything after I removed
"Everyone" in Security tab of C folder, and from other folders.

thanks,
karlo

In news:1122521970.029006.186480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
karlo@yahoo.com <karlo@yahoo.com> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I have XP. When I logon as Guest, without need of password, I can see
> ALL folders and open all files. In Security of folders, "Everyone",
> has been removed. How do I selectively restrict access of Guest, and
> other Users, to folders and files?
>
> I don't understand why Guest has access to everything after I removed
> "Everyone" in Security tab of C folder, and from other folders.
>
> thanks,
> karlo

Disable Guest. If you want a visitor's account, create one using another
name. Then you can set your NTFS and share permissions.

Hello,

I created a new account. The new account does not appear in the
Welcome Screen. What to do?

Thanks
karlo

In news:1122612958.512560.234220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
karlo@yahoo.com <karlo@yahoo.com> typed:
> Hello,
>
> I created a new account. The new account does not appear in the
> Welcome Screen. What to do?
>
> Thanks
> karlo

Is it in the administrators group?
Does it have a password?

It is not in a Group at all.

It does not have a password. I would like my Guest to be able to login
without password, then browse the net and use productivity software.
But, I also want to limit my guest to selected folders

Thanks
Karl

Malke

karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

> It is not in a Group at all.
>
> It does not have a password. I would like my Guest to be able to
> login without password, then browse the net and use productivity
> software. But, I also want to limit my guest to selected folders
>
> Thanks
> Karl

Then do what Lanwench suggested; disable the Guest account (which is not
meant to be used when you are feeling hospitable) and create a new
"Visitors" account. Set permissions accordingly.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi,

Yes, I did that. I created an account called "My Guest". No
password. But, this new account does not appear in the Windows Welcome
Screen. A guest would not see the option of using it.

karlo

Malke

karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, I did that. I created an account called "My Guest". No
> password. But, this new account does not appear in the Windows
> Welcome
> Screen. A guest would not see the option of using it.
>
> karlo

See if this tweak from MVP Kelly Theriot helps:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm - Hide User or Add User on
the Welcome Screen (Line 22)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

User "My Guest" was not assigned to any group. Assigning it to Users
group resulted in the appearance of this account in the Welcome Screen,
whether assigned a password or not.

Malke

karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

> User "My Guest" was not assigned to any group. Assigning it to Users
> group resulted in the appearance of this account in the Welcome
> Screen, whether assigned a password or not.

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, which will help
others.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell