Restrict folder access of Guest

Hi,

I have XP. When I logon as Guest, without need of password, I can see
ALL folders and open all files. In Security of folders, "Everyone",
has been removed. How do I selectively restrict access of Guest, and
other Users, to folders and files?

I don't understand why Guest has access to everything after I removed
"Everyone" in Security tab of C folder, and from other folders.

thanks,
karlo
9 answers Last reply
More about restrict folder access guest

    In news:1122521970.029006.186480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
    karlo@yahoo.com <karlo@yahoo.com> typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have XP. When I logon as Guest, without need of password, I can see
    > ALL folders and open all files. In Security of folders, "Everyone",
    > has been removed. How do I selectively restrict access of Guest, and
    > other Users, to folders and files?
    >
    > I don't understand why Guest has access to everything after I removed
    > "Everyone" in Security tab of C folder, and from other folders.
    >
    > thanks,
    > karlo

    Disable Guest. If you want a visitor's account, create one using another
    name. Then you can set your NTFS and share permissions.

    Hello,

    I created a new account. The new account does not appear in the
    Welcome Screen. What to do?

    Thanks
    karlo

    In news:1122612958.512560.234220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
    karlo@yahoo.com <karlo@yahoo.com> typed:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I created a new account. The new account does not appear in the
    > Welcome Screen. What to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    > karlo

    Is it in the administrators group?
    Does it have a password?

    It is not in a Group at all.

    It does not have a password. I would like my Guest to be able to login
    without password, then browse the net and use productivity software.
    But, I also want to limit my guest to selected folders

    Thanks
    Karl

    karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

    > It is not in a Group at all.
    >
    > It does not have a password. I would like my Guest to be able to
    > login without password, then browse the net and use productivity
    > software. But, I also want to limit my guest to selected folders
    >
    > Thanks
    > Karl

    Then do what Lanwench suggested; disable the Guest account (which is not
    meant to be used when you are feeling hospitable) and create a new
    "Visitors" account. Set permissions accordingly.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi,

    Yes, I did that. I created an account called "My Guest". No
    password. But, this new account does not appear in the Windows Welcome
    Screen. A guest would not see the option of using it.

    karlo

    karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes, I did that. I created an account called "My Guest". No
    > password. But, this new account does not appear in the Windows
    > Welcome
    > Screen. A guest would not see the option of using it.
    >
    > karlo

    See if this tweak from MVP Kelly Theriot helps:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm - Hide User or Add User on
    the Welcome Screen (Line 22)

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    User "My Guest" was not assigned to any group. Assigning it to Users
    group resulted in the appearance of this account in the Welcome Screen,
    whether assigned a password or not.

    karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

    > User "My Guest" was not assigned to any group. Assigning it to Users
    > group resulted in the appearance of this account in the Welcome
    > Screen, whether assigned a password or not.

    Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, which will help
    others.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell