wired / wireless network mixture or not ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 10, 2004 7:12:01 PM

Problem establishing a network between 3 units .

The set up :

-ADSL Wireless Modem Router connected ( wired ) to PC 1 via on board
LAN

-PC 1 has on board LAN ( SIS based ) - OS , XP home

-PC2 has wireless network PCI card - OS , XP Pro

-Laptop has wireless network PCMCIA - OS , 98se

( All wireless units are of Belkin 54Mbs / 802.11g )

Each unit succesfully can connect to internet and at the moment PC2
and Laptop shows they are in infrastructure mode .

However i can NOT establish a network and share folders between these
3 units . It appears to me that may be a bridge to be established
somewhere in this setup .
One idea comes to me that if i have another pci wireless card
attached to the same computer ( PC 1 ) as the modem router maybe a
full wireless network can be established. Is this the only solution
or even a correct one ?

Or maybe a bridge to be established on PC 1 , but i cant see any two
connections to bridge ..

What are your views .. Can i achive a succesful network with this
set up . ? Or does it need additional hardware ?

Thanks
July 10, 2004 7:21:20 PM

the router should be all the 'bridge' you need. the first test is to get
the ip address of each machine and see if they can ping each other. if they
can then its likely a permissions issue or you don't have the right network
components installed. also check for firewalls on the individual machines,
they can prevent sharing also. the best thing is to use a firewall on the
router and then the internal machines shouldn't need one... makes things so
much easier.

"ReceT" <sata@gbnet.org > wrote in message

> Problem establishing a network between 3 units .
>
> The set up :
>
> -ADSL Wireless Modem Router connected ( wired ) to PC 1 via on board
> LAN
>
> -PC 1 has on board LAN ( SIS based ) - OS , XP home
>
> -PC2 has wireless network PCI card - OS , XP Pro
>
> -Laptop has wireless network PCMCIA - OS , 98se
>
> ( All wireless units are of Belkin 54Mbs / 802.11g )
>

> Each unit succesfully can connect to internet and at the moment PC2
> and Laptop shows they are in infrastructure mode .
>
> However i can NOT establish a network and share folders between these
> 3 units . It appears to me that may be a bridge to be established
> somewhere in this setup .
> One idea comes to me that if i have another pci wireless card
> attached to the same computer ( PC 1 ) as the modem router maybe a
> full wireless network can be established. Is this the only solution
> or even a correct one ?
>
> Or maybe a bridge to be established on PC 1 , but i cant see any two
> connections to bridge ..
>
> What are your views .. Can i achive a succesful network with this
> set up . ? Or does it need additional hardware ?
>
> Thanks

July 11, 2004 9:23:55 PM

Hi

You need a Wireless Cable/DSL Router. One NIC in each Wired Computer, and
one Wireless Client in each Wireless computer. Nothing Else is Needed.

Once every thing is connected you have to configure the Network and the
sharing.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
Settings, and Sharing.

http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> the router should be all the 'bridge' you need. the first test is to get
> the ip address of each machine and see if they can ping each other. if
they
> can then its likely a permissions issue or you don't have the right
network
> components installed. also check for firewalls on the individual
machines,
> they can prevent sharing also. the best thing is to use a firewall on the
> router and then the internal machines shouldn't need one... makes things
so
> much easier.
>

> "ReceT" <sata@gbnet.org > wrote in message
> >
> > Problem establishing a network between 3 units .
> >
> > The set up :
> >
> > -ADSL Wireless Modem Router connected ( wired ) to PC 1 via on board
> > LAN
> >
> > -PC 1 has on board LAN ( SIS based ) - OS , XP home
> >
> > -PC2 has wireless network PCI card - OS , XP Pro
> >
> > -Laptop has wireless network PCMCIA - OS , 98se
> >
> > ( All wireless units are of Belkin 54Mbs / 802.11g )
> >

> > Each unit succesfully can connect to internet and at the moment PC2
> > and Laptop shows they are in infrastructure mode .
> >
> > However i can NOT establish a network and share folders between these
> > 3 units . It appears to me that may be a bridge to be established
> > somewhere in this setup .
> > One idea comes to me that if i have another pci wireless card
> > attached to the same computer ( PC 1 ) as the modem router maybe a
> > full wireless network can be established. Is this the only solution
> > or even a correct one ?
> >
> > Or maybe a bridge to be established on PC 1 , but i cant see any two
> > connections to bridge ..
> >
> > What are your views .. Can i achive a succesful network with this
> > set up . ? Or does it need additional hardware ?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 12, 2004 7:54:12 AM

Thanks .. As I understand , wired/wireless ,mixed network should be
straightforward as far as hardware is concerned. My 3 computers
each have different operating systems , xp home ( adsl modem router
wired to this ) the others XP pro and win98se have wireless hardware

The links you have given usefull understanding the principles but
each of the operating systems have their do,s and donts .. especially
as stated xp home network is sensitive to any firewall in the system

i am still fighting with it and / lots of reading now ..

My recommendation to average user is to stick to one operating system
in the network and maybe same make of wireless equipment to make the
things easier ...

thanks again ....