Catalyst Control Panel Memory Use?

Just installed the latest drivers (5.6) first I installed the drivers with
the Catalyst control panel, everything works fine, but checking the task
Manager on boot up it says Commit Charge of 370M of ram being used. Someone
suggested I tried the normal control panel version, so I did, on boot up
task manager shows 270M is this normal, can Catalyst Control Panel really be
using that much ram.

geoff

"C16" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Just installed the latest drivers (5.6) first I installed
> the drivers with the Catalyst control panel, everything
> works fine, but checking the task Manager on boot up it
> says Commit Charge of 370M of ram being used. Someone
> suggested I tried the normal control panel version, so I
> did, on boot up task manager shows 270M is this normal,
> can Catalyst Control Panel really be using that much ram.

wouldn't know, never used em, it wouldn't surprise me though
stupid .net rubbish

always get the control panel drivers not the CCC ones

Geoff wrote:
> "C16" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Just installed the latest drivers (5.6) first I installed
>>the drivers with the Catalyst control panel, everything
>>works fine, but checking the task Manager on boot up it
>>says Commit Charge of 370M of ram being used. Someone
>>suggested I tried the normal control panel version, so I
>>did, on boot up task manager shows 270M is this normal,
>>can Catalyst Control Panel really be using that much ram.
>

> wouldn't know, never used em, it wouldn't surprise me though
> stupid .net rubbish
>
> always get the control panel drivers not the CCC ones

The .NET framework supporting CCC does indeed combine to use a lot of
RAM. Trouble is you can't access the A.I. driver options with control
panel. It's a ah heck.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0523-8, 11/06/2005
Tested on: 12/06/2005 20:22:07

Apparently you can, with ATiTool.

"Ian Oxley" <iano@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Geoff wrote:
>> "C16" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just installed the latest drivers (5.6) first I installed
>>>the drivers with the Catalyst control panel, everything
>>>works fine, but checking the task Manager on boot up it
>>>says Commit Charge of 370M of ram being used. Someone
>>>suggested I tried the normal control panel version, so I
>>>did, on boot up task manager shows 270M is this normal,
>>>can Catalyst Control Panel really be using that much ram.
>>

>> wouldn't know, never used em, it wouldn't surprise me though
>> stupid .net rubbish
>>
>> always get the control panel drivers not the CCC ones
>
> The .NET framework supporting CCC does indeed combine to use a lot of RAM.
> Trouble is you can't access the A.I. driver options with control panel.
> It's a ah heck.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0523-8, 11/06/2005
> Tested on: 12/06/2005 20:22:07

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

>> The .NET framework supporting CCC does indeed combine to use a lot of
>> RAM. Trouble is you can't access the A.I. driver options with control
>> panel. It's a ah heck.

you can with the omega drivers - which is useful cause the AI definitely
causes problems
with some games. I had flashing textures galore in Brother In Arms until I
switched off AI.

Sleepy wrote:
> you can with the omega drivers - which is useful cause the AI definitely
> causes problems
> with some games. I had flashing textures galore in Brother In Arms until I
> switched off AI.

I suppose AI doesn't have such a dramatic effect in performance,
especially if video card isn't a monster (like 9600pro) and not using
much AA/AF or high resolutions?

de Moni wrote:
> Sleepy wrote:
>> you can with the omega drivers - which is useful cause the AI
>> definitely causes problems
>> with some games. I had flashing textures galore in Brother In Arms
>> until I switched off AI.
>
> I suppose AI doesn't have such a dramatic effect in performance,
> especially if video card isn't a monster (like 9600pro) and not using
> much AA/AF or high resolutions?

What exactly is AI in the catalyst drivers?

I just checked mine in ATI tool, and it is set to " low " for my 9800 Pro.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

It performs application detection and activates "optimizations" such as
aggressive texture compression when certain known games are launched.

Expect synthetic benchmarks to perform better with it enabled.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> What exactly is AI in the catalyst drivers?
>
> I just checked mine in ATI tool, and it is set to " low " for my 9800 Pro.

Ok, thanks...

In the real world , for gaming and not necessarily benchmarking, would
having it enabled be better or worse for performance?

Don

First of One wrote:
> It performs application detection and activates "optimizations" such
> as aggressive texture compression when certain known games are
> launched.
> Expect synthetic benchmarks to perform better with it enabled.
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> What exactly is AI in the catalyst drivers?
>>
>> I just checked mine in ATI tool, and it is set to " low " for my
>> 9800 Pro.

Performance should be better in some games, and unchanged in others. Of
course, things like texture compression come with very slight image quality
degradation, though most likely you won't see a difference.

> Ok, thanks...
>
> In the real world , for gaming and not necessarily benchmarking, would
> having it enabled be better or worse for performance?
>
> Don

Good deal, I will leave it as is.

Thanks for the info...

Don