File Sharing Problems: How To Overcome?

July 28, 2005 7:13:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hello,

I have a small network of 4 computers.....3 WinXP, 1 Win98SE.

All can see each other, access shared printers, and connect to each
other.

The problem I have is as follows:

Two computers must access the documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ACT,
etc.) on an XP computer. The files are located in the documents
folder of the person who "owns/shares" the computer. User
names/passwords of the two computers attempting access to the files
are on the computer being accessed. Guest account is turned off.

The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
open the files "Read Only".

I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.

Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
times????

Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
Settitings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Buck

July 28, 2005 7:13:34 PM

On 28 Jul 2005 15:13:33 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a small network of 4 computers.....3 WinXP, 1 Win98SE.
>
>All can see each other, access shared printers, and connect to each
>other.
>
>The problem I have is as follows:
>
>Two computers must access the documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ACT,
>etc.) on an XP computer. The files are located in the documents
>folder of the person who "owns/shares" the computer. User
>names/passwords of the two computers attempting access to the files
>are on the computer being accessed. Guest account is turned off.
>
>The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
>the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
>open the files "Read Only".
>
>I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
>to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
>share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
>times????
>
>Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
>Settitings?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Buck

Buck,

Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On 28 Jul 2005 14:12:03 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

<Snip>

Guest account is turned off.

>>The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
>>the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
>>open the files "Read Only".
>>
>>I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
>>to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
>>share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
>>times????
>>
>>Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
>>Settitings?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Buck
>
>Buck,
>
>Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
>If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,

Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
off.

Regards,

Buck

July 29, 2005 2:01:05 AM

On 28 Jul 2005 22:01:04 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

>On 28 Jul 2005 14:12:03 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
> Guest account is turned off.
>>>
>>>The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
>>>the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
>>>open the files "Read Only".
>>>
>>>I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
>>>to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
>>>share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
>>>times????
>>>
>>>Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
>>>Settitings?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Buck
>>
>>Buck,
>>
>>Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
>>If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,
>
>Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
>off.
>
>Regards,
>
>Buck

Buck,

You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
long time, or only recently?

Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
client computers using the same account / password?

What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:03:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On 28 Jul 2005 17:23:02 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

<Snip>

>>Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
>>off.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Buck
>
>Buck,
>
>You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
>computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
>long time, or only recently?
>
>Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
>client computers using the same account / password?
>
>What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
>person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
>Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?

Chuck,

Computer 1 = XP Pro
Computer 2 and 3 = XP Home
Computer 4 = Win98SE

All are networked, peer to peer, through a Linksys Router.

Recent occurance.....first time attempting.

Computers 4 and 2 need read/write privileges of the user's personal
documents on Computer 1. Documents are created by user of Computer 1
but must be able to be maintained by users of computer 1,2, or 4.

Each user has a user ID and passsword on each computer.

What other info may I provide?

Regards,

Buck

July 29, 2005 3:03:24 AM

On 28 Jul 2005 23:03:23 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

>On 28 Jul 2005 17:23:02 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
>>>Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
>>>off.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Buck
>>
>>Buck,
>>
>>You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
>>computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
>>long time, or only recently?
>>
>>Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
>>client computers using the same account / password?
>>
>>What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
>>person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
>>Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?
>
>Chuck,
>
>Computer 1 = XP Pro
>Computer 2 and 3 = XP Home
>Computer 4 = Win98SE
>
>All are networked, peer to peer, through a Linksys Router.
>
>Recent occurance.....first time attempting.
>
>Computers 4 and 2 need read/write privileges of the user's personal
>documents on Computer 1. Documents are created by user of Computer 1
>but must be able to be maintained by users of computer 1,2, or 4.
>
>Each user has a user ID and passsword on each computer.
>
>What other info may I provide?
>
>Regards,
>
>Buck

Buck,

Please explain "Recent occurance.....first time attempting".

Is this a new LAN, or has it been in use for a while?

When the problem occurs, does it affect all shared files on Computer 1, or just
those just previously accessed by either Computer 2 or 4? Is Computer 3 not
involved in this, or does it not have the problem? Is there a workaround, or do
you now have a bunch of files that can't be used?

Do you turn off Guest (and presumably use Advanced File Sharing) on Computer 1
because you don't want the user of Computer 3 to access, or is there another
reason?

--
!