File Sharing Problems: How To Overcome?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hello,

I have a small network of 4 computers.....3 WinXP, 1 Win98SE.

All can see each other, access shared printers, and connect to each
other.

The problem I have is as follows:

Two computers must access the documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ACT,
etc.) on an XP computer. The files are located in the documents
folder of the person who "owns/shares" the computer. User
names/passwords of the two computers attempting access to the files
are on the computer being accessed. Guest account is turned off.

The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
open the files "Read Only".

I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.

Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
times????

Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
Settitings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Buck

More about file sharing problems overcome
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On 28 Jul 2005 15:13:33 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a small network of 4 computers.....3 WinXP, 1 Win98SE.
    >
    >All can see each other, access shared printers, and connect to each
    >other.
    >
    >The problem I have is as follows:
    >
    >Two computers must access the documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, ACT,
    >etc.) on an XP computer. The files are located in the documents
    >folder of the person who "owns/shares" the computer. User
    >names/passwords of the two computers attempting access to the files
    >are on the computer being accessed. Guest account is turned off.
    >
    >The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
    >the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
    >open the files "Read Only".
    >
    >I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
    >to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
    >share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
    >times????
    >
    >Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
    >Settitings?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Buck

    Buck,

    Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
    If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    On 28 Jul 2005 14:12:03 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

    <Snip>

    Guest account is turned off.

    >>The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
    >>the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
    >>open the files "Read Only".
    >>
    >>I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
    >>to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
    >>share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
    >>times????
    >>
    >>Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
    >>Settitings?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Buck
    >
    >Buck,
    >
    >Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
    >If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,

    Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
    off.

    Regards,

    Buck

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On 28 Jul 2005 22:01:04 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

    >On 28 Jul 2005 14:12:03 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
    >
    ><Snip>
    >
    > Guest account is turned off.
    >>>
    >>>The two can initially access with full read/write privileges. But if
    >>>the computer being accessed is rebooted, the two computers can only
    >>>open the files "Read Only".
    >>>
    >>>I've Googled and found the following: A Microsoft article that says
    >>>to go to the command line and "attrib -r -s" the folder I want to
    >>>share. This didn't solve my problem and I'm stumped.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions on how I can share the files in read/write mode at all
    >>>times????
    >>>
    >>>Should I move the files to the all users folder in Documents and
    >>>Settitings?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Buck
    >>
    >>Buck,
    >>
    >>Is the server (the computer with the shared folders) running XP Home or XP Pro?
    >>If XP Home, it's using Guest authentication,
    >
    >Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
    >off.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Buck

    Buck,

    You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
    computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
    long time, or only recently?

    Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
    client computers using the same account / password?

    What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
    person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
    Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On 28 Jul 2005 17:23:02 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

    <Snip>

    >>Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
    >>off.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Buck
    >
    >Buck,
    >
    >You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
    >computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
    >long time, or only recently?
    >
    >Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
    >client computers using the same account / password?
    >
    >What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
    >person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
    >Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?

    Chuck,

    Computer 1 = XP Pro
    Computer 2 and 3 = XP Home
    Computer 4 = Win98SE

    All are networked, peer to peer, through a Linksys Router.

    Recent occurance.....first time attempting.

    Computers 4 and 2 need read/write privileges of the user's personal
    documents on Computer 1. Documents are created by user of Computer 1
    but must be able to be maintained by users of computer 1,2, or 4.

    Each user has a user ID and passsword on each computer.

    What other info may I provide?

    Regards,

    Buck

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On 28 Jul 2005 23:03:23 GMT, Buck Rogers <buck@rogers.com> wrote:

    >On 28 Jul 2005 17:23:02 -0500, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
    >
    ><Snip>
    >
    >>>Thanks for the quick reply. OS is XP Pro and Guest account is turned
    >>>off.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Buck
    >>
    >>Buck,
    >>
    >>You list four computers above, presumably the server is one? What of the fourth
    >>computer, does it have this problem also? Has this problem been observed for a
    >>long time, or only recently?
    >>
    >>Are all 3 XP computers running XP Pro, with Advanced File Sharing? Are both
    >>client computers using the same account / password?
    >>
    >>What's special about these files? Are they being created and used by the same
    >>person, or by the other person (is this two people on the 2 client computers)?
    >>Are all files originating on these 2 client computers?
    >
    >Chuck,
    >
    >Computer 1 = XP Pro
    >Computer 2 and 3 = XP Home
    >Computer 4 = Win98SE
    >
    >All are networked, peer to peer, through a Linksys Router.
    >
    >Recent occurance.....first time attempting.
    >
    >Computers 4 and 2 need read/write privileges of the user's personal
    >documents on Computer 1. Documents are created by user of Computer 1
    >but must be able to be maintained by users of computer 1,2, or 4.
    >
    >Each user has a user ID and passsword on each computer.
    >
    >What other info may I provide?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Buck

    Buck,

    Please explain "Recent occurance.....first time attempting".

    Is this a new LAN, or has it been in use for a while?

    When the problem occurs, does it affect all shared files on Computer 1, or just
    those just previously accessed by either Computer 2 or 4? Is Computer 3 not
    involved in this, or does it not have the problem? Is there a workaround, or do
    you now have a bunch of files that can't be used?

    Do you turn off Guest (and presumably use Advanced File Sharing) on Computer 1
    because you don't want the user of Computer 3 to access, or is there another
    reason?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]