Question regarding user accounts and default "Administrato..

When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
"Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
a new one
then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about question user accounts default administrato

    Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp

    Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dan" wrote:

    | When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
    | account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
    | another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
    | Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
    | on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
    | C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
    | re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
    | of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
    | google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
    | and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
    | Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
    | files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
    | Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
    | those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
    | view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
    | folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
    | "Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
    | with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
    | transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
    | copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
    | same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
    | account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
    | a new one
    | then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks so much,
    |
    | Dan

    Carey...

    Quite simply put: You are my hero.

    Thank you very much for the tip - it worked perfectly.

    - Dan

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp
    >
    > Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Dan" wrote:
    >
    > | When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
    > | account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
    > | another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
    > | Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
    > | on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
    > | C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
    > | re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
    > | of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
    > | google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
    > | and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
    > | Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
    > | files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
    > | Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
    > | those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
    > | view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
    > | folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
    > | "Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
    > | with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
    > | transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
    > | copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
    > | same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
    > | account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
    > | a new one
    > | then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks so much,
    > |
    > | Dan

    You're most welcome! Thanks for the feedback!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dan" wrote:

    | Carey...
    |
    | Quite simply put: You are my hero.
    |
    | Thank you very much for the tip - it worked perfectly.
    |
    | - Dan

Default User Accounts Windows XP