Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question regarding user accounts and default "Administrato..

Tags:
  • Default
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 28, 2005 2:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
"Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
a new one
then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Dan

More about : question user accounts default administrato

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp

Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dan" wrote:

| When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
| account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
| another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
| Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
| on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
| C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
| re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
| of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
| google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
| and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
| Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
| files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
| Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
| those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
| view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
| folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
| "Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
| with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
| transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
| copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
| same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
| account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
| a new one
| then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Thanks so much,
|
| Dan
July 28, 2005 5:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Carey...

Quite simply put: You are my hero.

Thank you very much for the tip - it worked perfectly.

- Dan

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281992&Product=winxp
>
> Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
> | When I first installed windows XP pro sp2 I had a default Administrator
> | account that I used for a while as my main account. Then I needed to make
> | another account w/Admin priveleges and now it no longer puts the
> | Administrator account on my welcome screen to log in. All of my settings are
> | on that account and I know it is not deleted because it is still in
> | C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator. I need to know how to either A)
> | re-enable the ability to log into that default "Administrator" or B) copy all
> | of the settings from that account to the new one I created. I looked on
> | google and found that I should copy all of the files/folders in C:\Documents
> | and Settings\Administrator to C:\Document and Settings\my new name.
> | Something strange is that in the guide it said I was not supposed to copy 3
> | files, ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini, but in my C:\Documents and
> | Settings\Administrator directory I only see 2 files that look similar to
> | those: ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.txt. Yes, I have enabled the ability to
> | view hidden files and folders. I tried to copy and paste everything in the
> | folder to the new account folder but I recieved the following message:
> | "Cannot copy index: the requested operation cannot be performed on a file
> | with a user-mapped section open." I created an additional account for the
> | transferring like the guide said and I have made sure that the account to be
> | copied into is logged out. I also tried this in safe mode but recieved the
> | same rror. Preferably I would simply like to get the default "Administrator"
> | account back on my welcome screen and just use that, but if I must copy it to
> | a new one
> | then I will, I just need to know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks so much,
> |
> | Dan
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:36:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You're most welcome! Thanks for the feedback!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dan" wrote:

| Carey...
|
| Quite simply put: You are my hero.
|
| Thank you very much for the tip - it worked perfectly.
|
| - Dan
!