Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Home Network Security

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 9:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I am a newby wrt to home wireless networking so bear with this basic
question and the assistance I am requesting.

I have just set up a home wireless network between a desktop and a laptop.
Both machines have WINXP Pro installed with the WAP update. I am using a
3com ADSL router hard wired to the desktop. During the setup I didn't
initiate either WEP or WAP and am using the default SSID (3com) and Channel
11. The system is working perfectly wrt to file and printer sharing and
internet so I am very reluctant to do anything to "screw it up".
Nevertheless everything I have read indicates I should "install" WAP in
preference to WEP for security, my problem is I don't really know where to
begin. I have searched Google and found lots of articles on this subject
but most are more sophisticated than I can really deal with at this stage in
my learning process. I really need a WAP setup for Dummies set of
instructions. I think I need to enter the router setup web site and start
there but again I just don't know.

I recognise that as I live in a rural area, it is likely that I don't need
anything as it is highly improbable that anyone would want to "hack" into my
system, but who knows?

I would appreciate any advice and pointers to where I might find a simple
guide to setting up security on my wireless network.

More about : home network security

July 11, 2004 9:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html]Wireless
Security.
Jack (MVP-Networking).


"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:#LymldpZEHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I am a newby wrt to home wireless networking so bear with this basic
> question and the assistance I am requesting.
>
> I have just set up a home wireless network between a desktop and a laptop.
> Both machines have WINXP Pro installed with the WAP update. I am using a
> 3com ADSL router hard wired to the desktop. During the setup I didn't
> initiate either WEP or WAP and am using the default SSID (3com) and
Channel
> 11. The system is working perfectly wrt to file and printer sharing and
> internet so I am very reluctant to do anything to "screw it up".
> Nevertheless everything I have read indicates I should "install" WAP in
> preference to WEP for security, my problem is I don't really know where to
> begin. I have searched Google and found lots of articles on this subject
> but most are more sophisticated than I can really deal with at this stage
in
> my learning process. I really need a WAP setup for Dummies set of
> instructions. I think I need to enter the router setup web site and start
> there but again I just don't know.
>
> I recognise that as I live in a rural area, it is likely that I don't need
> anything as it is highly improbable that anyone would want to "hack" into
my
> system, but who knows?
>
> I would appreciate any advice and pointers to where I might find a simple
> guide to setting up security on my wireless network.
>
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 12:06:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:02:59 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I am a newby wrt to home wireless networking so bear with this basic
>question and the assistance I am requesting.
>
>I have just set up a home wireless network between a desktop and a laptop.
>Both machines have WINXP Pro installed with the WAP update. I am using a
>3com ADSL router hard wired to the desktop. During the setup I didn't
>initiate either WEP or WAP and am using the default SSID (3com) and Channel
>11. The system is working perfectly wrt to file and printer sharing and
>internet so I am very reluctant to do anything to "screw it up".
>Nevertheless everything I have read indicates I should "install" WAP in
>preference to WEP for security, my problem is I don't really know where to
>begin. I have searched Google and found lots of articles on this subject
>but most are more sophisticated than I can really deal with at this stage in
>my learning process. I really need a WAP setup for Dummies set of
>instructions. I think I need to enter the router setup web site and start
>there but again I just don't know.
>
>I recognise that as I live in a rural area, it is likely that I don't need
>anything as it is highly improbable that anyone would want to "hack" into my
>system, but who knows?
>
>I would appreciate any advice and pointers to where I might find a simple
>guide to setting up security on my wireless network.

Realistically, for a personal network in a rural area I think 128bit
WEP should be more than sufficient. After all, it should take days,
possibly even weeks for even the best hacker to crack a decent WEP
key. And to do this they'd have to spend huge amounts of time parked
outside your house sniffing the packets being broadcast by your
network. They'd have to ask themselves if you're really worth the
effort and probably the answer is no. Change your WEP key every so
often and they are back to square one each time.

Nevertheless, if WPA is an option, it is (very) considerably more
difficult to crack and, in the case of WPA-PSK probably easier to use
as all you have to do is create a key, preferably a ridiculously long
one, and input it on each machine you wish to connect to the network.

Mine is 58 charactors, including both upper and lower case letters, as
well as numbers and some ascii symbols. It is a sequence which I can
memorise because of the way it is structured but would appear as total
gibberish to everyone.

I am no expert but my personal recommendations would be:

1. Change the router password.
2. Change the default SSID but not to anything which shouts "Edward
Thompson's Network come on in".
3. Set up MAC address filtering.
4. Turn on encryption (either 128bit WEP or WPA-PSK).

There are other things you can do to further inconvenience people,
such as heavily restricting access to (and control of) shared files on
the network, using unusual IP addresses for local computers,
installation of software firewalls on local machines etc. but if you
are not comfortable with this level of fiddling, don't be concerned
because the likelihood is that anyone detecting WEP will just drive on
to find an easier target.

As for how to do steps 1-4 they should be clear from instructions for
your router. If the router supports WPA, and 3Com OfficeConnect
routers do, then I'd recommend using it. Define your key as you see
fit and simply input it as the WPA key on each machine when you try to
connect.

Any probs, let us know, we'll be here :-)
Related resources
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:29:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Spotted that the link below should be:
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html#Wireless
(just a typo - need a # where there was a ] )

--
####################
## PH, London
####################
"Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
news:eoYQ5x4ZEHA.2296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html]Wireless
> Security.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
July 27, 2004 12:23:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

"Simon Pleasants" <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4fv4f0l53f5soaeuildr10opjqfmhup59r@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:02:59 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
> <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> >I am a newby wrt to home wireless networking so bear with this
basic
> >question and the assistance I am requesting.
> >
> >I have just set up a home wireless network between a desktop and a
laptop.
> >Both machines have WINXP Pro installed with the WAP update. I am
using a
> >3com ADSL router hard wired to the desktop. During the setup I
didn't
> >initiate either WEP or WAP and am using the default SSID (3com) and
Channel
> >11. The system is working perfectly wrt to file and printer
sharing and
> >internet so I am very reluctant to do anything to "screw it up".
> >Nevertheless everything I have read indicates I should "install"
WAP in
> >preference to WEP for security, my problem is I don't really know
where to
> >begin. I have searched Google and found lots of articles on this
subject
> >but most are more sophisticated than I can really deal with at this
stage in
> >my learning process. I really need a WAP setup for Dummies set of
> >instructions. I think I need to enter the router setup web site
and start
> >there but again I just don't know.
> >
> >I recognise that as I live in a rural area, it is likely that I
don't need
> >anything as it is highly improbable that anyone would want to
"hack" into my
> >system, but who knows?
> >
> >I would appreciate any advice and pointers to where I might find a
simple
> >guide to setting up security on my wireless network.
>
> Realistically, for a personal network in a rural area I think 128bit
> WEP should be more than sufficient. After all, it should take days,
> possibly even weeks for even the best hacker to crack a decent WEP
> key. And to do this they'd have to spend huge amounts of time
parked
> outside your house sniffing the packets being broadcast by your
> network. They'd have to ask themselves if you're really worth the
> effort and probably the answer is no. Change your WEP key every so
> often and they are back to square one each time.
>
> Nevertheless, if WPA is an option, it is (very) considerably more
> difficult to crack and, in the case of WPA-PSK probably easier to
use
> as all you have to do is create a key, preferably a ridiculously
long
> one, and input it on each machine you wish to connect to the
network.
>
> Mine is 58 charactors, including both upper and lower case letters,
as
> well as numbers and some ascii symbols. It is a sequence which I
can
> memorise because of the way it is structured but would appear as
total
> gibberish to everyone.
>
> I am no expert but my personal recommendations would be:
>
> 1. Change the router password.
> 2. Change the default SSID but not to anything which shouts "Edward
> Thompson's Network come on in".
> 3. Set up MAC address filtering.
> 4. Turn on encryption (either 128bit WEP or WPA-PSK).
>
> There are other things you can do to further inconvenience people,
> such as heavily restricting access to (and control of) shared files
on
> the network, using unusual IP addresses for local computers,
> installation of software firewalls on local machines etc. but if you
> are not comfortable with this level of fiddling, don't be concerned
> because the likelihood is that anyone detecting WEP will just drive
on
> to find an easier target.
>
> As for how to do steps 1-4 they should be clear from instructions
for
> your router. If the router supports WPA, and 3Com OfficeConnect
> routers do, then I'd recommend using it. Define your key as you see
> fit and simply input it as the WPA key on each machine when you try
to
> connect.
>
> Any probs, let us know, we'll be here :-)
!