May have a potentially Serious Problem

a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 8:15:02 PM

As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I logged
on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's Supposed to and I
enter the password, no problem there. However. While waiting for the rest to
boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden) popped up all at once. No
explanation and no reason for it. I tried to re-hide it and when I did the
system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week
since this happened and I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has
several different types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone
help? I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..

Thanks.

More about : potentially problem

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 9:35:51 PM

System32?

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

For an automated Edit go here:

Read the instructions at the top of the page.
Scroll down to:
260. Right hand side.
System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
> McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
> logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
> waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
> popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
> re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
> It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
> a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
> is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder name
> to ya as soon as possible..
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 10:38:49 PM

Wayne: Just for the record, *I* didn't know ;-)

Tom

| As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition.
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 11:31:02 PM

Wayne wrote:
> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested
> in McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently.
> I logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However.
> While waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be
> hidden) popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I
> tried to re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to
> unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week since this happened and
> I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has several different
> types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help?
> I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..

You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*

Look here for your opening folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Wayne wrote:
> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
> McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I logged
> on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's Supposed to and I
> enter the password, no problem there. However. While waiting for the rest to
> boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden) popped up all at once. No
> explanation and no reason for it. I tried to re-hide it and when I did the
> system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week
> since this happened and I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has
> several different types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone
> help? I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..
>
> Thanks.

This can be caused by a blank entry, such as can be left behind by
an incomplete program removal, in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and/or
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. It can also
be caused by an entry in these same keys that starts with a " / ."

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 1:44:12 AM

At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat through
that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna waste the
tickets, no way, no how)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Wayne wrote:
>> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested
>> in McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently.
>> I logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
>> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However.
>> While waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be
>> hidden) popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I
>> tried to re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to
>> unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week since this happened and
>> I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has several different
>> types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help?
>> I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..
>
> You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
> Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*
>
> Look here for your opening folder:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 3:38:34 AM

<ROTFL>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23JtW279kFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
> At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat
> through that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna waste
> the tickets, no way, no how)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Wayne wrote:
>>> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested
>>> in McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently.
>>> I logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
>>> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However.
>>> While waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be
>>> hidden) popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I
>>> tried to re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to
>>> unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week since this happened and
>>> I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has several different
>>> types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help?
>>> I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..
>>
>> You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
>> Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*
>>
>> Look here for your opening folder:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 3:45:00 AM

In news:%23JtW279kFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
> At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat
> through that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna
> waste the tickets, no way, no how)

Stop having fun. Immediately. Back to your seats. <stern glare>

<snip>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 3:06:20 PM

Thanks Wesley, but it said something about couldn't run because of a script
error. An I'm not exactly sure how to handle this..

> System32?
>
> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>
> For an automated Edit go here:
>
> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
> Scroll down to:
> 260. Right hand side.
> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
> Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
> > As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
> > McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
> > logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
> > Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
> > waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
> > popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
> > re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
> > It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
> > a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
> > is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder name
> > to ya as soon as possible..
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2005 6:20:39 PM

Then have a look at...

In news:234E541B-A9F9-483B-AC2E-191AF1DF0AF5@microsoft.com,
Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wesley, but it said something about couldn't run because of a
> script error. An I'm not exactly sure how to handle this..
>
>> System32?
>>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
>> Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
>>> McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
>>> logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
>>> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
>>> waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
>>> popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
>>> re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
>>> It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
>>> a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
>>> is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder
>>> name to ya as soon as possible..
>>>
>>> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security