May have a potentially Serious Problem

As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I logged
on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's Supposed to and I
enter the password, no problem there. However. While waiting for the rest to
boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden) popped up all at once. No
explanation and no reason for it. I tried to re-hide it and when I did the
system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week
since this happened and I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has
several different types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone
help? I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about potentially problem

    System32?

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    For an automated Edit go here:

    Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    Scroll down to:
    260. Right hand side.
    System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
    Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    > As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
    > McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
    > logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
    > Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
    > waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
    > popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
    > re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
    > It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
    > a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
    > is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder name
    > to ya as soon as possible..
    >
    > Thanks.

    Wayne: Just for the record, *I* didn't know ;-)

    Tom

    Wayne wrote:
    > As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested
    > in McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently.
    > I logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
    > Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However.
    > While waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be
    > hidden) popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I
    > tried to re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to
    > unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week since this happened and
    > I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has several different
    > types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help?
    > I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..

    You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
    Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*

    Look here for your opening folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Wayne wrote:
    > As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
    > McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I logged
    > on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's Supposed to and I
    > enter the password, no problem there. However. While waiting for the rest to
    > boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden) popped up all at once. No
    > explanation and no reason for it. I tried to re-hide it and when I did the
    > system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week
    > since this happened and I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has
    > several different types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone
    > help? I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..
    >
    > Thanks.

    This can be caused by a blank entry, such as can be left behind by
    an incomplete program removal, in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and/or
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. It can also
    be caused by an entry in these same keys that starts with a " / ."

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat through
    that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna waste the
    tickets, no way, no how)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Wayne wrote:
    >> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested
    >> in McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently.
    >> I logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
    >> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However.
    >> While waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be
    >> hidden) popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I
    >> tried to re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to
    >> unhide it. Now It's been a little over a week since this happened and
    >> I'm stumped. It's a Windows/System files. It has several different
    >> types of folders which is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help?
    >> I'll get the exact folder name to ya as soon as possible..
    >
    > You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
    > Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*
    >
    > Look here for your opening folder:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    <ROTFL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23JtW279kFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    > At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat
    > through that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna
    > waste the tickets, no way, no how)

    Stop having fun. Immediately. Back to your seats. <stern glare>

    <snip>

    Thanks Wesley, but it said something about couldn't run because of a script
    error. An I'm not exactly sure how to handle this..

    > System32?
    >
    > System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >
    > For an automated Edit go here:
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    > Scroll down to:
    > 260. Right hand side.
    > System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
    > Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
    > > McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
    > > logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
    > > Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
    > > waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
    > > popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
    > > re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
    > > It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
    > > a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
    > > is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder name
    > > to ya as soon as possible..
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Then have a look at...

    In news:234E541B-A9F9-483B-AC2E-191AF1DF0AF5@microsoft.com,
    Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley, but it said something about couldn't run because of a
    > script error. An I'm not exactly sure how to handle this..
    >
    >> System32?
    >>
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >> Scroll down to:
    >> 260. Right hand side.
    >> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:0E8448C0-E565-4C16-B371-A4F2D0F241FC@microsoft.com,
    >> Wayne <cobra911@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> As everyone knows I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. I have invested in
    >>> McAfee Security Suite. My problem just started happening recently. I
    >>> logged on the computer and Privacy Service came up, just like it's
    >>> Supposed to and I enter the password, no problem there. However. While
    >>> waiting for the rest to boot. A System folder (supposed to be hidden)
    >>> popped up all at once. No explanation and no reason for it. I tried to
    >>> re-hide it and when I did the system locked, so I had to unhide it. Now
    >>> It's been a little over a week since this happened and I'm stumped. It's
    >>> a Windows/System files. It has several different types of folders which
    >>> is supposed to be hidden. Can anyone help? I'll get the exact folder
    >>> name to ya as soon as possible..
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    What does ROTFL mean?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > <ROTFL>
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23JtW279kFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > > At his house???????.. you told me you were washing your hair.. I sat
    > > through that entire 'sloppy' movie by myself.. :-( .. (wasn't gonna waste
    > > the tickets, no way, no how)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Hall
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >

    > > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> You run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition?
    > >> Last time I was at your house, that looked like Linux to me! *grin*
    > >>
    > >> Look here for your opening folder:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Shenan Stanley
    > >> MS-MVP
    > >> --
    > >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    nim wrote:

    > What does ROTFL mean?

    http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid11_gci211776,00.html

    Malke