Spybot Question

Jd

I don't know if this is the right place to seek advice on this matter, but
I'll try.
I've run Spybot weekly for over a year and it has never found any "threats"
before today. The one "security threat" (in red) is identified as a
"registry change." HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Security Center/Anti-virus.
I did have the MSAV (beta) program installed at one time, but uninstalled it
a very long time ago.
The relevant registry entry says: AntivirusDisableNotify and the value is
(1).
The other entries in that pane have a value of (0).
Any suggestions as to what this means or what, if anything, I should do?
I closed Spybot without taking any action because I was unclear as to what
it meant.

JD wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right place to seek advice on this
> matter, but I'll try.
> I've run Spybot weekly for over a year and it has never found any
> "threats" before today. The one "security threat" (in red) is
> identified as a "registry change." HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Security
> Center/Anti-virus. I did have the MSAV (beta) program installed at one
> time, but
> uninstalled it a very long time ago.
> The relevant registry entry says: AntivirusDisableNotify and the
> value is (1).
> The other entries in that pane have a value of (0).
> Any suggestions as to what this means or what, if anything, I should
> do? I closed Spybot without taking any action because I was unclear as to
> what it meant.

Backup the registry keys..
Remove them..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jd

Are you saying to remove ALL of the registry keys under
SecurityCenter/Antivirus? Or just the one identified by Spybot as a
"security threat"?

JD wrote:
> Are you saying to remove ALL of the registry keys under
> SecurityCenter/Antivirus? Or just the one identified by Spybot as a
> "security threat"?

The security threat.
Spybot should make a system restore point for you anyway - but another ounce
of prevention....

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP