SERVICE PACK 2

July 29, 2005 3:33:04 AM

After the automatic updates and retsrting machine, my firewall does not start
up.I t says manually to start the services from the Control Panel.The
messages that come are Could not start the Windows Firewall /ICS services on
Local Machine.

Error 2:The System cannot find the file specified

hoping to get a response.

ajitjpk@hotmail.com

More about : service pack

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:34:16 PM

See if the file ipnathlp.dll is present in the following folder:

%SystemRoot%\System32\

If the file is missing, extract a new copy from source.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JACOB" <JACOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After the automatic updates and retsrting machine, my firewall does not
> start
> up.I t says manually to start the services from the Control Panel.The
> messages that come are Could not start the Windows Firewall /ICS services
> on
> Local Machine.
>
> Error 2:The System cannot find the file specified
>
> hoping to get a response.
>
> ajitjpk@hotmail.com
July 29, 2005 6:34:17 PM

Please do reply

In Windows XP with SP 1, and later installed service pack 2 which has auto
update enabled.
The Norton Antivirus is also working fine and the intenet connection.

After some updates were installed and the computer restarted the following
errors are noted .Kindly do give a solution.

1.An error Symantec Email Proxy comes up and the Antivirus is Auto protect
is disabled, after manually enabling the Auot protect it works.

2. An error Cannot load phone book Error 5 appears.

3.The Internet connection does not work and the error 720 is shown.

4.The Security center says Firewall is disabled. When we manually try to
enable it to the services, the message as attached above keeps appearing.
Kindly d o help me to the solve the above problems

As mentione dby you I tried searching the file ipnathlp.dll, it is show in
win32 directory, how do I search for it in %System Root % \ System 32?

--
JACOB

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> See if the file ipnathlp.dll is present in the following folder:
>
> %SystemRoot%\System32\
>
> If the file is missing, extract a new copy from source.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "JACOB" <JACOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After the automatic updates and retsrting machine, my firewall does not
> > start
> > up.I t says manually to start the services from the Control Panel.The
> > messages that come are Could not start the Windows Firewall /ICS services
> > on
> > Local Machine.
> >
> > Error 2:The System cannot find the file specified
> >
> > hoping to get a response.
> >
> > ajitjpk@hotmail.com

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:07:05 PM

%SystemRoot%\System32\ refers to the Windows\System32 folder

This may be any of the locations depending on which drive you installed
Windows.

C:\Windows\System32\
or
D:\Windows\System32\

Open the above folder, and see if the file ipnathlp.dll is present. If it's
missing, copy the file from %Systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder or
"expand" from the Windows XP CD, which ever is the recent version.

Microsoft Windows XP - Expand:

!