AIW 9700 Pro TV-in

Got a bit of a problem here when I try to capture some old VHS tapes
using the TV-in method. I see a small but definately noticable white
line at the very top of the screen, and I am also seeing a bit of
flickering in the video too. I am wondering if it's A) Macrovision B)
due to the tapes being old. However, when I try to play the videos on
my VCR when hooked up to my TV, everything appears to be in good
working order. Need to know if anyone has any suggestions. Already have
tried the method at http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm and have
had no success with getting it to work that way. Plus I have tried a
number of other Macrovision patches, and they simply do not work.

Still, even with the white line at the top, is it possible to somehow
edit it out? The white lines keeps popping in and fading out every few
seconds. As for the video stabilisers, I already have a couple of cheap
ones, can give those a try, but don't know if it will do any good.

One other thing too, the flickering seems to occur only in older tapes,
newer tapes do not seem to have any capturing issues.

Try going into settings, display tab, and check or uncheck crop video. May
work.

<palyons@westshore.edu> wrote in message
> Still, even with the white line at the top, is it possible to somehow
> edit it out? The white lines keeps popping in and fading out every few
> seconds. As for the video stabilisers, I already have a couple of cheap
> ones, can give those a try, but don't know if it will do any good.
>
> One other thing too, the flickering seems to occur only in older tapes,
> newer tapes do not seem to have any capturing issues.

palyons@westshore.edu wrote:
> Got a bit of a problem here when I try to capture some old VHS tapes
> using the TV-in method. I see a small but definately noticable white
> line at the very top of the screen, and I am also seeing a bit of
> flickering in the video too. I am wondering if it's A) Macrovision B)
> due to the tapes being old. However, when I try to play the videos on
> my VCR when hooked up to my TV, everything appears to be in good
> working order. Need to know if anyone has any suggestions. Already have
> tried the method at http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm and have
> had no success with getting it to work that way. Plus I have tried a
> number of other Macrovision patches, and they simply do not work.

The white line/s, which can also be located at the bottom, is because on
your monitor you can see all of the 625 lines of picture, but on your TV
you won't quite see the extreme edges. It's normal. Macrovision would
cause extreme colour to black & white flickering and worse.

To prevent odd flicker from (particularly old) tapes, invest in a
stabiliser/copy enhancer to pass the signal through. Have a look at
Lektropaks (in the UK) for examples of this kit. It doesn't cost the earth.

Ian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-2, 15/06/2005
Tested on: 15/06/2005 21:08:46

palyons@westshore.edu wrote:
> Still, even with the white line at the top, is it possible to somehow
> edit it out? The white lines keeps popping in and fading out every few
> seconds. As for the video stabilisers, I already have a couple of cheap
> ones, can give those a try, but don't know if it will do any good.
>
> One other thing too, the flickering seems to occur only in older tapes,
> newer tapes do not seem to have any capturing issues.

Flickering is something to do with faulty "time base" and can be helped
with a time base corrector. It's not quite a tracking thing, but I think
it's closely related - I'm not an expert of time base. Sorry.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-4, 16/06/2005
Tested on: 16/06/2005 23:56:24

Ob1

Use the S video for video capture forget the TV in you haven't a
prayer for even decent quality in this fashion of attermpting a
capture.