peter

Using XP home.
I can use NTBackup, but cannot get it to run as a scheduled task - it just
says 'could not start'. I believe this may be a known problem, but cannot
find a fix.
--
Peter

Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
"Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558

HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Peter" wrote:

| Using XP home.
| I can use NTBackup, but cannot get it to run as a scheduled task - it just
| says 'could not start'. I believe this may be a known problem, but cannot
| find a fix.
| --
| Peter

peter

Carey

Many thanks - I have been tearing what is left of my hair out over this one!
Fixed it with kellys-korner so that scheduled tasks now run without a
password. What a pity this option is not given in Help and Support!
--
Peter

> Carey
>
> Many thanks - I have been tearing what is left of my hair out over this
> one!
> Fixed it with kellys-korner so that scheduled tasks now run without a
> password. What a pity this option is not given in Help and Support!
> --
> Peter

Allowing scheduled tasks to run witout a password is a major security risk.
Why not just make a password protected account just for the scheduled
backup?

Kerry

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
>>
>> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
>> "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"
>>
>> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>>
>> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558
>>
>> HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Peter" wrote:
>>
>> | Using XP home.
>> | I can use NTBackup, but cannot get it to run as a scheduled task - it
>> just
>> | says 'could not start'. I believe this may be a known problem, but
>> cannot
>> | find a fix.
>> | --
>> | Peter

peter

Why is it a major security risk?
--
Peter

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Carey
> >
> > Many thanks - I have been tearing what is left of my hair out over this
> > one!
> > Fixed it with kellys-korner so that scheduled tasks now run without a
> > password. What a pity this option is not given in Help and Support!
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> Allowing scheduled tasks to run witout a password is a major security risk.
> Why not just make a password protected account just for the scheduled
> backup?
>
> Kerry
>

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
> >>
> >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
> >> "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"
> >>
> >> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
> >>
> >> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558
> >>
> >> HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> >> just
> >> cannot

Virii that spread via a network could drop a task into scheduled tasks. When
it runs (without a password) it will install itself. Another risk would be a
user with a limited account could schedule a task to run and gain access to
adminstrator permisssions. If you are on the Internet your user accounts
should be password protected. It is the first line of defence.

Kerry