Where are encryption keys stored?

When I configure a WEP key into my wireless gadget using the vendor's
interface program, does the key I supply end up in Windows somewhere or in
the flash memory on the device itself?

--
####################
## PH, London

Before SP2 - under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\

--PA

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:Ok8CkppZEHA.1000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I configure a WEP key into my wireless gadget using the vendor's
> interface program, does the key I supply end up in Windows somewhere or in
> the flash memory on the device itself?
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Thanks! Looks right. Encrypted, as far as I can tell.

The interesting thing is that I now know that plugging my wireless adapter
into another computer won't give away access to my network.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
> Before SP2 - under
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\
>
> --PA
>
> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> > When I configure a WEP key into my wireless gadget using the vendor's
> > interface program, does the key I supply end up in Windows somewhere or
in
> > the flash memory on the device itself?
> >
> > --
> > ####################
> > ## PH, London
> > ####################

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Wireless Cable/DSL Router or an Access Point stores the encryption key on
their own. The Wireless Clint is transparent to this process, the receiving
computer need the key in its software to decipher the encrypted signal.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:#0rioV2ZEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks! Looks right. Encrypted, as far as I can tell.
>
> The interesting thing is that I now know that plugging my wireless adapter
> into another computer won't give away access to my network.

It is *not* impossible for WLAN driver to store these keys on the netcard itself,
maybe such devices already exist.

--PA

## PH, London