Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI AIW9800 TV Sound Initialization

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 15, 2005 10:57:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi,

I just installed MMC 9.08 on a freshly-installed Windows XP system.
When I ran the TV setup, the TV Sound initialization did not appear. I
am not running in TV-On-Demand mode. I have NOT hooked up the line out
from the AIW card to the sound card, and yet, I still hear audio when
watching TV.

Can somebody explain why I don't see the TV Sound Initialization
wizard, and why I can hear sound even though I haven't hooked up the
sound card??

Any help is appreciated....

Brad
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:35:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:1118843837.132786.85060@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I just installed MMC 9.08 on a freshly-installed Windows XP system.
> When I ran the TV setup, the TV Sound initialization did not appear. I
> am not running in TV-On-Demand mode. I have NOT hooked up the line out
> from the AIW card to the sound card, and yet, I still hear audio when
> watching TV.
>
> Can somebody explain why I don't see the TV Sound Initialization
> wizard, and why I can hear sound even though I haven't hooked up the
> sound card??
>
> Any help is appreciated....

I believe that card processes the TV signal and sends the audio directly to
your sound card. I'd bet you still need to hook up your external
connections to the sound card if/when you want to capture audio from an
external source.

As for the TV wizard, it's anybody's guess, but if things are working
without it, so much the better. You don't really need it for the
Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards anyway, but if memory serves, you can still find
it under TV Setup.

Pagan
June 15, 2005 2:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.

Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2 ZS
Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound Wizard
doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI support site.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I am also using an Audigy 2, and didn't notice the sound dialog didn't
appear until you mentioned it. However, my sound still works, I just
used the black multi-connector, the one that plugs into the "out" on
the graphics card, and put the audio jack into the "line-in" on my
soundcard. It may sound daft, but just check you've plugged the audio
lead into the right hole.

Steve :) 
June 15, 2005 3:36:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?
June 15, 2005 7:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Sorry, where's the info on the ATI site?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:1118855215.193093.96990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
> this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
> failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
> to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.
>
> Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2 ZS
> Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound Wizard
> doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI support site.
>
Around Cat 5.4(WDM drivers) and MMC9.06 the sound was changed to digital
through the bus. No more analog sound(makes it compatible with MCE). Their
is no sound setup wizard, its all wave now. Seems to have eliminated capture
sound sync issues for me but I haven't tested it very much.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:1118860616.558987.243230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
> without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
> WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
> this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?
>
Actually I figured it out. Sound my HDTV Wonder works the same way.
Confirmation was made here, Rage3d.com or AVSforum.com(MCE compatibility)
message boards. Current notes don't seem to mention it. Here's the info on
ATI website but it looks like you just about have to know about it to find
it.
ID=10208
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:41:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:1118876145.983656.62550@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Sorry, where's the info on the ATI site?
>
Ok, try it this way:
Customer Care
left hand column click on Solve Problem
Audio
ATI Multimedia Center
Should be the third subject on the first page.

In the past searching for the ID number would take you to the page.
June 16, 2005 9:11:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I agree Pagan. Thanks a lot TS! ATI should be in your debt...
June 16, 2005 9:15:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I agree Pagan. Thanks a lot TS! ATI should be in your debt...
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:41:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in
news:uh_re.44360$iu.41273@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

> "Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
> news:1118855215.193093.96990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
>> this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
>> failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
>> to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.
>>
>> Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2
>> ZS Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound
>> Wizard doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI
>> support site.
>>
> Around Cat 5.4(WDM drivers) and MMC9.06 the sound was changed to
> digital through the bus. No more analog sound(makes it compatible with
> MCE). Their is no sound setup wizard, its all wave now. Seems to have
> eliminated capture sound sync issues for me but I haven't tested it
> very much.
>
>



I too have been having sound problems similar to what is described in
this thread. Around the time I upgraded to MMC 9.6 and CAT 5.3 or 5.4
my TV sound and picture stopped working (choppy picture and sound) and I
noticed the lack of sound init dialogue. No clue or help in ATI support
land.

I've got the AUdigy 2 sound card and a 9600 AIW card.

I finally downgraded to MMC 8.6 with the latest CAT drivers OK and that
worked for a while but now I'm getting problems with the WDM drivers
loading so I can't run MMC at all.

Anybody got ideas on this WDM driver loading problem?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"amica" <amica44@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns9677C83F84913amica@64.59.144.76...
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in
> news:uh_re.44360$iu.41273@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:
>
> > "Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
> > news:1118855215.193093.96990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> >> I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
> >> this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
> >> failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
> >> to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.
> >>
> >> Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2
> >> ZS Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound
> >> Wizard doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI
> >> support site.
> >>
> > Around Cat 5.4(WDM drivers) and MMC9.06 the sound was changed to
> > digital through the bus. No more analog sound(makes it compatible with
> > MCE). Their is no sound setup wizard, its all wave now. Seems to have
> > eliminated capture sound sync issues for me but I haven't tested it
> > very much.
> >
> >
>
>
>
> I too have been having sound problems similar to what is described in
> this thread. Around the time I upgraded to MMC 9.6 and CAT 5.3 or 5.4
> my TV sound and picture stopped working (choppy picture and sound) and I
> noticed the lack of sound init dialogue. No clue or help in ATI support
> land.
>
> I've got the AUdigy 2 sound card and a 9600 AIW card.
>
> I finally downgraded to MMC 8.6 with the latest CAT drivers OK and that
> worked for a while but now I'm getting problems with the WDM drivers
> loading so I can't run MMC at all.
>
> Anybody got ideas on this WDM driver loading problem?
>
>
OK here's the message in ATI's Knowledge base.

***************************************
External audio connection to soundcard LINE-IN not needed using WDM Capture
Driver 6.14.10.6300 or higher
The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Series or higher
WDM Capture Driver 6.14.10.6300 or higher
Windows 2000 or Windows XP
With the introduction of WDM Capture Driver 6.14.10.6300 on ati.com (as
included in CATALYST 5.3), a new digital audio path is used for routing
sound from the ALL-IN-WONDER to the soundcard, for ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Series
or higher.

When running Multimedia Center's Initialization Wizard, you no longer need
to set up the external audio cable configuration.

You may detach the external audio cable that may be attached to your
soundcard's LINE-IN or MIC input jack.
***************************************
It was a design change. I'd say it's unrelated to your original problem. You
probably just got a bad install. Possibly it left a problem behind when you
tried to go back. I'd run the CatUninstaller utility and try to reinstall.
Look at the notes for the WDM drivers you may need to install them before
the display drivers. Also make sure you have all the support files for the
version you're trying to install.
June 17, 2005 8:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Is there any way of forcing the new Catalyst drivers to let you use the
line-in? I find I can adjust my sound needs better that way.

Cheers,
Steve :) 
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:38:22 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>"amica" <amica44@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>news:Xns9677C83F84913amica@64.59.144.76...
>> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in
>> news:uh_re.44360$iu.41273@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:
>>
>> > "Brad" <bjmills@magma.ca> wrote in message
>> > news:1118855215.193093.96990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> >> I appreciate the reply! In response to your first comment, perhaps
>> >> this is so with the latest drivers, and not with earlier ones? I
>> >> failed to mention that I previously had this card installed and I had
>> >> to hook it up to the sound card as is described in the manual.
>> >>
>> >> Funny you should mention the Audigy 2, since I am using the Audigy 2
>> >> ZS Platinum Pro (what a mouthful) so perhaps that is why the Sound
>> >> Wizard doesn't appear? I was unable to find anything on the ATI
>> >> support site.
>> >>
>> > Around Cat 5.4(WDM drivers) and MMC9.06 the sound was changed to
>> > digital through the bus. No more analog sound(makes it compatible with
>> > MCE). Their is no sound setup wizard, its all wave now. Seems to have
>> > eliminated capture sound sync issues for me but I haven't tested it
>> > very much.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> I too have been having sound problems similar to what is described in
>> this thread. Around the time I upgraded to MMC 9.6 and CAT 5.3 or 5.4
>> my TV sound and picture stopped working (choppy picture and sound) and I
>> noticed the lack of sound init dialogue. No clue or help in ATI support
>> land.
>>
>> I've got the AUdigy 2 sound card and a 9600 AIW card.
>>
>> I finally downgraded to MMC 8.6 with the latest CAT drivers OK and that
>> worked for a while but now I'm getting problems with the WDM drivers
>> loading so I can't run MMC at all.
>>
>> Anybody got ideas on this WDM driver loading problem?
>>
>>
>OK here's the message in ATI's Knowledge base.
>
>***************************************
>External audio connection to soundcard LINE-IN not needed using WDM Capture
>Driver 6.14.10.6300 or higher
>The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
>ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Series or higher
>WDM Capture Driver 6.14.10.6300 or higher
>Windows 2000 or Windows XP
>With the introduction of WDM Capture Driver 6.14.10.6300 on ati.com (as
>included in CATALYST 5.3), a new digital audio path is used for routing
>sound from the ALL-IN-WONDER to the soundcard, for ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Series
>or higher.
>
>When running Multimedia Center's Initialization Wizard, you no longer need
>to set up the external audio cable configuration.
>
>You may detach the external audio cable that may be attached to your
>soundcard's LINE-IN or MIC input jack.
>***************************************
>It was a design change. I'd say it's unrelated to your original problem. You
>probably just got a bad install. Possibly it left a problem behind when you
>tried to go back. I'd run the CatUninstaller utility and try to reinstall.
>Look at the notes for the WDM drivers you may need to install them before
>the display drivers. Also make sure you have all the support files for the
>version you're trying to install.
>

Possibly a problem with files or devices from previous installs.
Apart from running the ATI Software Uninstall Utility after
uninstalling the old drivers, I'll usually remove the ATI devices
shown in Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager just
before uninstalling the Display Driver itself, for a VIVO or AIW card.

Just a thought, Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:46:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Brad wrote:
>
> TS - that certainly explains things, like how I am getting sound
> without plugging the sound cable into the sound card! But why, why,
> WHY couldn't I find this info. on the ATI support site? Did you read
> this info on that site, or somewhere else, or what?

newsgroups are the real support sites
!