VHS capture settings question

I have an ATI 9600 Pro and an ATI HDTV card - it all works fine.
Using the most recent software for the HDTV/Video cards (a/o 6-12-05
anyway, mmc 9.08, radeon 5.6, etc).
I'm capturing VHS material that I've taped over the years to the PC
to archive to DVD. Grabbing 2 hour increments (old MST3K eps that I've
taped, if you're wondering).
Anyway, what is the best recording setting to use when doing the
capture? DVD High makes the resulting .mpg too large for a DVD burn
unless I edit the commercials out while capturing. I'm not a
video-phile by any means, but I've been reading around the groups that
the VHS tape is fairly low res to begin with, and that perhaps going
with a DVD setting other than DVD high will make no difference in the
end product other than helping keep the .mpg file smaller.
Bottom line, I need advice on the lowest capture setting that I can
use and still get the identical quality as what's on the VHS tape
offers now. Thanks!

T Shadow wrote:
> <danejasho@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 352X480 if your doing NTSC.
> http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/understandsource.htm
>
> A very good source of information. It's ATI specific. Might be a good idea
> to go to digitalfaq.com and go through the previous pages before or after.

T Shadow, this is exactly what I was looking for .. thanks!