ATI CCC to replace Control Panel?

I keep hearing rumors that ATI is going to replace Control Panel with CCC.
Is this true? Has ATI stated when this is going to happen?

--
there is no .sig

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message news:O4%re.1411$NU5.547@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> I keep hearing rumors that ATI is going to replace Control Panel with CCC.
> Is this true? Has ATI stated when this is going to happen?

If that's true they're going to lose a lot of customers, at least
those using MS OS's. Installing the .NET framework is not
an option for millions of corporate users.

Rick wrote:

> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I keep hearing rumors that ATI is going to replace Control Panel with
>> CCC. Is this true? Has ATI stated when this is going to happen?
>
> If that's true they're going to lose a lot of customers, at least
> those using MS OS's. Installing the .NET framework is not
> an option for millions of corporate users.

Corporate users in an environment in which anybody cares whether they
install .NET framework should not be installing video drivers anyway. In
fact if the machine configuration even allows them to install drivers then
someone in IT has screwed up.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I keep hearing rumors that ATI is going to replace Control Panel with CCC.
>Is this true? Has ATI stated when this is going to happen?

dunno but you can always use a 3rd party program like radlinker.

I don't understand what you mean by this Sleepy. The rumors I heard are,
that at some point in time, all ATI driver releases are going to be CCC
only -- there will be no Control Panel versions offered. Personally, if this
rumor is verified, I'm going Nvidia on my next purchase for three reasons:

a. I don't want to install any more Microcrap garbage on my PC (.Net)
b. I don't like CCC from what I've heard about it
c. Nvidia is an American company

--
there is no .sig
"Sleepy" <bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I keep hearing rumors that ATI is going to replace Control Panel with CCC.
>>Is this true? Has ATI stated when this is going to happen?
>
> dunno but you can always use a 3rd party program like radlinker.

Just dont install the control panel, use another program. I agree though the
thought of CCC only is horrible, its a waste of space and such a resource
hog.

"schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
> take.
> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
> spite.
>
> Its a runtime library.

Personally, I don't have a problem with .NET, but when it comes to ATI,
their "old" control panel is working fine and does everything I want it to
do. I'd rather stick with it at least until such a time as I'm not reading
so many negative posts about the CCC here and on various Internet forums.
Thankfully, the complaints aren't as numerous as before, but there's still
work to be done.

Some people may scoff at this, but I'd rather stick with an ATI card than go
back to nVidia again since I prefer ATI's drivers. I'm running two
machines, one with an ATI card and the other with an nVidia card, and I've
honestly had fewer driver issues with the ATI card.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message news:ecdse.57509$HI.9776@edtnps84...
> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
> take.
> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
> spite.
>
> Its a runtime library.

Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.

Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
phases out users from purchasing licensed software.

Rick wrote:

> "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
>> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
>> take.
>> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
>> spite.
>>
>> Its a runtime library.
>
> Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.
>
> Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
> know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
> they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
> end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
> phases out users from purchasing licensed software.

Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
something.

--

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:d8ssp30mvn@news3.newsguy.com...
> Rick wrote:
>
> > "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
> >> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
> >> take.
> >> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
> >> spite.
> >>
> >> Its a runtime library.
> >
> > Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.
> >
> > Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
> > know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
> > they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
> > end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
> > phases out users from purchasing licensed software.
>
> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
> something.

I think you don't know what you're talking about:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp

schooner wrote:
> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
> take.
> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
> spite.
>
> Its a runtime library.

I got no issue with .NET, I left it on my machine, but have swapped back
to the Control Panel because I don't like the start-up overhead of CCC.
Further, I can't detect improvements from A.I. I agree though, let's
not bash MS just for the hell of it. People should realise that if CCC
is not to their liking, that fact is down to ATI and has nothing to do
with .NET.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-4, 16/06/2005
Tested on: 16/06/2005 23:54:54

Rick wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Rick wrote:
>>
>> > "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message

>> > Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.
>> >
>> > Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
>> > know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
>> > they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
>> > end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
>> > phases out users from purchasing licensed software.
>>
>> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
>> something.
>
> I think you don't know what you're talking about:
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp

Which is five years old and is discussing a whole slew of Microsoft
products, not just the .NET SDK. So tell us what features of the .NET SDK
"prevent end user upgradeability for computer hardware" and how it "phases

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:d8tsdq127g6@news3.newsguy.com...
> Rick wrote:
>
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
> >> something.
> >
> > I think you don't know what you're talking about:
> > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp
>
> Which is five years old

What does that have to do with anything? The purpose
of .NET hasn't changed.

If you want more recent references, there's no shortage of
them. Look 'em up.

> and is discussing a whole slew of Microsoft
> products, not just the .NET SDK.

Again, not relevant. .NET is the framework necessary for
subscription-based software.

> So tell us what features of the .NET SDK
> "prevent end user upgradeability for computer hardware"

I never said .NET is intended to prevent end user hardware
upgrades. Those design specs are in a different part of MS's
roadmap. I mentioned it because the philosophy is similar
to .NET.

> and how it "phases out users from purchasing licensed software".

We're already seeing examples of it. .NET Office (as
mentioned in the link I gave), and third-party examples such
as products from Symantec, Adobe etc. E.g. CS and CS2
now install Macrovision's SafeCast. SafeCast supports
subscription enforcement as one of its four licensing options.
Adobe simply needs to flip a software switch and Photoshop,
Illustrator etc. will no longer run without calling home and
forcing users to pay a subscription fee.

Like I said, most people bashing .net have no idea what it is, they just
hate it because it is MS and think it therefore has to be evil.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
>>> something.
>>
>> I think you don't know what you're talking about:
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp
>
> Which is five years old and is discussing a whole slew of Microsoft
> products, not just the .NET SDK. So tell us what features of the .NET SDK
> "prevent end user upgradeability for computer hardware" and how it "phases
> out users from purchasing licensed software".
>
> --
> --John
> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hehe that article is so bad it isn't funny, well funny that people actually
think that is what .net is.
Carry on guys and make sure to retinfoil yer hat.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
>>> something.
>>
>> I think you don't know what you're talking about:
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp
>
> Which is five years old and is discussing a whole slew of Microsoft
> products, not just the .NET SDK. So tell us what features of the .NET SDK
> "prevent end user upgradeability for computer hardware" and how it "phases
> out users from purchasing licensed software".
>
> --
> --John
> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/FAQ-DOTNET-FrameWork-Explained

http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm

"What is the .NET Framework?
The Microsoft .NET Framework is a platform for building, deploying, and
running Web Services and applications. It provides a highly productive,
standards-based, multi-language environment for integrating existing
investments with next-generation applications and services as well as the
agility to solve the challenges of deployment and operation of
Internet-scale applications. The .NET Framework consists of three main
parts: the common language runtime, a hierarchical set of unified class
libraries, and a componentized version of Active Server Pages called
ASP.NET."

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>
>> "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
>>> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
>>> take.
>>> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
>>> spite.
>>>
>>> Its a runtime library.
>>
>> Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.
>>
>> Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
>> know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
>> they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
>> end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
>> phases out users from purchasing licensed software.
>
> Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
> something.
>
> --
> --John
> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Exactly. They are just using .net as it is becoming the standard framework
for developing Windows applications against in a managed environment. Its
no different that the Java engine that Sun and others use as the framework
for Java applications and similar runtime environments.

"Ian Oxley" <iano@nospam.net> wrote in message
> schooner wrote:
>> And no one likes it why? Beside the typical anti MS stance some like to
>> take.
>> Most that hate .net have no clue what it even is, they just hate it for
>> spite.
>>
>> Its a runtime library.
>>
> I got no issue with .NET, I left it on my machine, but have swapped back
> to the Control Panel because I don't like the start-up overhead of CCC.
> Further, I can't detect improvements from A.I. I agree though, let's not
> bash MS just for the hell of it. People should realise that if CCC is not
> to their liking, that fact is down to ATI and has nothing to do with .NET.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0524-4, 16/06/2005
> Tested on: 16/06/2005 23:54:54

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"This is not a quick transition perhaps, but this is the direction
of transformation that we're describing."
-- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27034/27034.html

"schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message news:zVwse.76467$tt5.3945@edtnps90...
> http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/FAQ-DOTNET-FrameWork-Explained
>
> http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm
>
> "What is the .NET Framework?
> The Microsoft .NET Framework is a platform for building, deploying, and
> running Web Services and applications. It provides a highly productive,
> standards-based, multi-language environment for integrating existing
> investments with next-generation applications and services as well as the
> agility to solve the challenges of deployment and operation of
> Internet-scale applications. The .NET Framework consists of three main
> parts: the common language runtime, a hierarchical set of unified class
> libraries, and a componentized version of Active Server Pages called
> ASP.NET."
>

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > Rick wrote:
> >
> >> "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message

> >> Yes, a runtime library for subscription based software.
> >>
> >> Schooner, take your head out of your ass. "Most" people
> >> know perfectly well what .NET is all about, and that's why
> >> they hate it. MS's vision for the future is one that prevents
> >> end user upgradability for computer hardware, and also
> >> phases out users from purchasing licensed software.
> >
> > Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
> > something.
> >
> > --
> > --John
> > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Is subscription software coming? Yes? From MS and a number of other
companies, mostly driven by open source projects that want to sell
subscriptions and keep the code free.
Is that what the .net framework is all about? No
The framework is just that a framework, what gets built on top of it is up
to the developers.
The framework is not a tool that locks your PC down. Get over it. The same
subscription models can exist without the framework just as easily.

"Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "This is not a quick transition perhaps, but this is the direction
> of transformation that we're describing."
> -- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27034/27034.html
>
> "schooner" <schooner@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
>> http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/FAQ-DOTNET-FrameWork-Explained
>>
>> http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm
>>
>> "What is the .NET Framework?
>> The Microsoft .NET Framework is a platform for building, deploying, and
>> running Web Services and applications. It provides a highly productive,
>> standards-based, multi-language environment for integrating existing
>> investments with next-generation applications and services as well as the
>> agility to solve the challenges of deployment and operation of
>> Internet-scale applications. The .NET Framework consists of three main
>> parts: the common language runtime, a hierarchical set of unified class
>> libraries, and a componentized version of Active Server Pages called
>> ASP.NET."
>>

>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Huh? I think you have the .NET SDK confused with Microsoft Passport or
>> > something.
>> >
>> > --
>> > --John
>> > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>> > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Its kinda like not buying a TV cause some cable company might use it to sell
you PPV.

To each his own, if ya don't .net it then don't install it or anything built
on it, that is your choice. Speak with your $$$, that is the easiest thing
to do. Many companies are releasing .net software so I suspect the fear of
those not using it is less and less a concern as people actually understand
what .net is, instead of listening to the anti-MS zealots that like to
spread misinformation.

Rick wrote:

> "This is not a quick transition perhaps, but this is the direction
> of transformation that we're describing."
> -- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27034/27034.html

So lets see, two years ago they gave up on their subscription based trial
and escaped from 'Strilia two steps ahead of a lynch mob, and this is a bad
thing how?

Rick wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Rick wrote:
>>
>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message

>> > I think you don't know what you're talking about:
>> > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/dotnet_backgrounder.asp
>>
>> Which is five years old
>
> What does that have to do with anything? The purpose
> of .NET hasn't changed.

And you know this how?

> If you want more recent references, there's no shortage of
> them. Look 'em up.

Why don't you present a few that actually demonstrate that some feature
of .NET that supportst your argument.

>> and is discussing a whole slew of Microsoft
>> products, not just the .NET SDK.
>
> Again, not relevant. .NET is the framework necessary for
> subscription-based software.

Huh? Microsoft seemed to be able to distribute subscription-based software
just fine several years ago.

>> So tell us what features of the .NET SDK
>> "prevent end user upgradeability for computer hardware"
>
> I never said .NET is intended to prevent end user hardware
> upgrades. Those design specs are in a different part of MS's
> roadmap. I mentioned it because the philosophy is similar
> to .NET.

In other words you're spreading FUD.

>> and how it "phases out users from purchasing licensed software".
>
> We're already seeing examples of it. .NET Office (as
> mentioned in the link I gave),

So how does one go about subscribing to this ".NET Office"? They said that
Office 11 was going to be distributed that way among others. Well, I'm
running 11.6 and there's no subscription and if you can find a way to
obtain one please let us know. Yes, they ran a subscription based trial
and found that end-users avoided it in droves and the few that did go for
it got really mad when the subscription expired.

> and third-party examples such
> as products from Symantec, Adobe etc. E.g. CS and CS2
> now install Macrovision's SafeCast. SafeCast supports
> subscription enforcement as one of its four licensing options.

So? Macrovision is not a Microsoft subsidiary and their whole purpose to
existence is to annoy people, so what relevance do they have to .NET?

> Adobe simply needs to flip a software switch and Photoshop,
> Illustrator etc. will no longer run without calling home and
> forcing users to pay a subscription fee.

At which point they will tell Adobe to go screw themselves just as the
customers in Microsoft's subscription-based trial did when their software
quit working at the end of a year. And Corel laughs all the way to the
bank. And if those customers were not informed before purchase that they
were being provided a subscription-based product then by the time the
lawyers are done with them the executives responsible for the decision, as
they sit on their heating grates chugging their Ripple, will agree that
they wish that they had never _heard_ the word "subscription".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

But why should I need or WANT the .NET framework installed on my computer
just for drivers? What exactly is the advantage of CCC w/.NET aside from
bloatware that doesn't ADD any functionality (for the end user that is) at
all?

--
there is no .sig

Doug wrote:

> But why should I need or WANT the .NET framework installed on my computer
> just for drivers? What exactly is the advantage of CCC w/.NET aside from
> bloatware that doesn't ADD any functionality (for the end user that is) at
> all?

Apparently ATI uses programmers of the same general caliber as the web
designers whose sites flash and flicker and play vast movies and make rude
noises and whatnot not because they need to but because the designer
figured that since all that stuff was there he ought to use it.

Kids in my day wanted flashy new cars--now they want flashy new APIs.

--

> Kids in my day wanted flashy new cars--now they want flashy new APIs.

LOL, ain't that the truth?

TRENDING THREADS