Trouble with user accounts

Tags:
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
July 29, 2005 7:00:03 PM

Hi,

I am having a strange problem recently. I set up windows XP on a tablet
PC and decided to have an admin account with administrator privileges
and and a restricted user account. Now, while setting up the system for
the first time it asked me the user I wanted on the system and I typed
in my name and I ind upon loggin in that it is the ONLY account that I
see, no administrator at all. So I log in and start installing user
applications and decide to add a restricted account. Since I wanted the
account I was working in to be the administrator account, I went to the
Control panel for user settings and changed the name of the present
account (with my name) to admin, and created an account with my name
with restricted settings.

Now I find that in the documents and settings folder, there are two
folders with my name (myname and myname_2), also it is the myname_2
folder where things that I save go. Strangely, MSOffice has been
behaving wacky about saving things. So for starters, how do I reconcile
the two folders, myname and myname_2?

Thanks a lot,

-M

More about : trouble user accounts

July 30, 2005 12:14:41 PM

micky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a strange problem recently. I set up windows XP on a
> tablet PC and decided to have an admin account with administrator
> privileges and and a restricted user account. Now, while setting up
> the system for the first time it asked me the user I wanted on the
> system and I typed in my name and I ind upon loggin in that it is the
> ONLY account that I see, no administrator at all. So I log in and
> start installing user applications and decide to add a restricted
> account. Since I wanted the account I was working in to be the
> administrator account, I went to the Control panel for user settings
> and changed the name of the present account (with my name) to admin,
> and created an account with my name with restricted settings.
>
> Now I find that in the documents and settings folder, there are two
> folders with my name (myname and myname_2), also it is the myname_2
> folder where things that I save go. Strangely, MSOffice has been
> behaving wacky about saving things. So for starters, how do I
> reconcile the two folders, myname and myname_2?

You made a mistake in just changing the name of the account; that only
changes the external name and not all the files/folders. What you
should have done is make an entirely new account and copy over your
data. That is how to fix the error. Create a new user account and name
it something you like but obviously different from the first two
accounts. Then copy over your data and delete the accounts you don't
want. Here are details:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers