Flash card reader: write problem...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you can
see here: http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it under
Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't need a
driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week or two, but i
wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought also an SD
256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory Stick
and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during the evening, i
did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it and
then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem, but when i
try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding the capacity of the
card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory or file
cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered before
this error message appears is ok.

When i get this message, i can't add more files to the card. I've deleted
all the contents of the card, then retried. Got the same message. I thought
it was because of the file naming (because of french, i often use different
accented characters), so i copied the the files to a new folder, then with
ACDSee i did a batch rename for all the files, renaming them
000-001-002...and so on. When trying again to write those newly renamed
files, i get the same error. I'm able to write to the card a little more
files (about 300 out of 748, instead of the 153), but the write process
stops when the same amount of files have been transfered each time i try. I
don't have any clue. I've checked the support>FAQ section of Mitsumi's web
site, but could not find anything about this problem. Found instead the
deceiving message: "Important Notice for Mitsumi Product Owners:
Mitsumi does not offer repair services, repair parts, and does not have an
authorized repair shop." Well...nice! :-(
I'm searching on Google at the time i'm writing this, hoping that i'll find
something. Have any idea about my problem? Thanks for any useful replies.
--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

    "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
    > I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you can
    > see here: http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it under
    > Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't need a
    > driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week or two, but
    > wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought also an
    SD
    > 256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory Stick
    > and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during the evening,
    > did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it and
    > then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem, but when i
    > try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding the capacity of
    the
    > card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory or
    file
    > cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered
    before
    > this error message appears is ok.

    There is a limit of how many files you can put into a single directory...
    Can you put folders onto the memory stick? Can you put more files into those
    folders?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in

    > "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
    >> I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you
    >> can see here: http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it
    >> under Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't
    >> need a driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week
    >> or two, but
    >> wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought
    >> also an
    > SD
    >> 256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory
    >> Stick and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during
    >> the evening,
    >> did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it
    >> and then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem,
    >> but when i try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding
    >> the capacity of
    > the
    >> card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory
    >> or
    > file
    >> cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered
    > before
    >> this error message appears is ok.
    >
    > There is a limit of how many files you can put into a single
    > directory... Can you put folders onto the memory stick? Can you put
    > more files into those folders?

    There is a limit of 512 files in the Root directory of a FAT16 drive, but
    no practical limit to the number of files in a directory (folder).

    So to solve Kilowatt's problem, create a folder on the SD card and copy the
    files into that.

    Alternatively format the card as FAT32 which doesn't have the root
    limitation - the disadvantage being that many digital cameras don't support
    the FAT32 file system.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Be sure to reformat the SD card in your camera before use! You may not get
    any warning of impending doom for your photographs.

    "RFJ" <rfjoyner@REMOVE.THIS.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in
    >

    > > "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
    > >> I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you
    > >> can see here: http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it
    > >> under Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't
    > >> need a driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week
    > >> or two, but
    > >> wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought
    > >> also an
    > > SD
    > >> 256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory
    > >> Stick and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during
    > >> the evening,
    > >> did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it
    > >> and then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem,
    > >> but when i try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding
    > >> the capacity of
    > > the
    > >> card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory
    > >> or
    > > file
    > >> cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered
    > > before
    > >> this error message appears is ok.
    > >
    > > There is a limit of how many files you can put into a single
    > > directory... Can you put folders onto the memory stick? Can you put
    > > more files into those folders?
    > >

    > There is a limit of 512 files in the Root directory of a FAT16 drive, but
    > no practical limit to the number of files in a directory (folder).
    >
    > So to solve Kilowatt's problem, create a folder on the SD card and copy
    the
    > files into that.
    >
    > Alternatively format the card as FAT32 which doesn't have the root
    > limitation - the disadvantage being that many digital cameras don't
    support
    > the FAT32 file system.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    How about formatting the memory card first?

    Interesting - I ordered one of those combo drives 2 days ago.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Thanks a lot for all your replies!

    By searching on Google, i've found 2 interesting URLs: The following
    describes a similar problem with someone's ZIP drive and the answer from
    Iomega about his problem.
    http://members.cox.net/nilshoke/Computer%20Corner%200301.htm
    (scroll down to the section with the phrase: "Frank Fiederlein ran into a
    strange problem with his 100 MB Zip drive..." )

    This one also explains pretty much (so you did! :-) ) the cause of my
    problem.
    http://home.merlin.mb.ca/~kolson/tecnotes/19971103.html

    Thanks anyway for your replies, since they confirmed that my problem was
    exactly related to file system limitations. Now by copying the content to a
    folder instead of the root, all the files are transfered without this error
    message. Nice of you to reply so quickly...i appreciate!

    --
    Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    Montréal Québec
    PS: 1000 excuses for errors or omissions,
    i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    Come to visit me at: http://kilowatt.camarades.com
    (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    "no spam" from the adress.)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    BACK TO THE BASICS, HUH?

    Cool...it works. Thanks to the quikie from RF

    KILOWATT wrote:
    > Thanks a lot for all your replies!
    >
    > By searching on Google, i've found 2 interesting URLs: The following
    > describes a similar problem with someone's ZIP drive and the answer from
    > Iomega about his problem.
    > http://members.cox.net/nilshoke/Computer%20Corner%200301.htm
    > (scroll down to the section with the phrase: "Frank Fiederlein ran into a
    > strange problem with his 100 MB Zip drive..." )
    >
    > This one also explains pretty much (so you did! :-) ) the cause of my
    > problem.
    > http://home.merlin.mb.ca/~kolson/tecnotes/19971103.html
    >
    > Thanks anyway for your replies, since they confirmed that my problem was
    > exactly related to file system limitations. Now by copying the content to a
    > folder instead of the root, all the files are transfered without this error
    > message. Nice of you to reply so quickly...i appreciate!
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for errors or omissions,
    > i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > Come to visit me at: http://kilowatt.camarades.com
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    > Cool...it works. Thanks to the quikie from RF
    Yes FiSH...you gonna' love this thing! ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Hey KIlo, you're right - I DO love it. Came in the mail yesterday.
    No more card adapters!

    I installed the Media Formatting utility that came on the mini cd. The
    program didn't work. Oh well, I wouldn't use it anyway. Uninstalled that
    program.

    This bugger is pretty slick. I've been using my cards for file transfers
    a bunch, and this makes it that much easier.

    KILOWATT wrote:
    >>Cool...it works. Thanks to the quikie from RF
    >
    > Yes FiSH...you gonna' love this thing! ;-)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Happy to see that you like the reader! No problem here with the version 2.05
    under Win98SE. I bought it OEM so i had to go to the website for the driver.
    They say the under Windows 2000 sp2 or XP, you don't have anything to
    install...

    --
    Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    Montréal Québec
    PS: 1000 excuses for errors or omissions,
    i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    Come to visit me at: http://kilowatt.camarades.com
    (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    "no spam" from the adress.)