sharing cable broadband

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 11, 2004 2:28:41 PM

I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.

Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
running perfect.

Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
access point).

I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
only if i need a router or an access point ?

any help would be great!

cheers,
jo
July 11, 2004 3:56:14 PM

You can get wireless routers for about the same price as an access
point. And all of the routers I have seen have 2-4 wired ports as
well. You connect the modem to the router WAN port and connect each
computer to one of the wired ports or as wireless. The router and
modem stay powered up and any computer can connect to the
Internet independent of the other computers. And the routers have
built in security from hackers. The computers on your network are
invisible to Internet hackers.

hawk

jo wrote:
> I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
> offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
>
> Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
> presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
> running perfect.
>
> Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
> internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
> Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
> access point).
>
> I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
> only if i need a router or an access point ?
>
> any help would be great!
>
> cheers,
> jo
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 4:54:36 PM

Why not get a combination broadband router and wireless access point? The cost of a combination unit
now a days is pretty low, particularly if you shop the sales. Personally I use a Buffalo WBR-G54
4-Port Broadband Router/802.11g/b Wireless Access Point with my cable ISP, Cox HSI. My two XP boxes,
one XP Pro and one XP Home, are wired via a 100 Mbps LAN and I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC wirelessly
to connect to the LAN... I bought the Buffalo device for $65 or so at CompUSA, after rebates, awhile
back. Look at these sites for product reviews...

http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.timhiggins.com/

Good luck...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
> offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
>
> Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
> presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
> running perfect.
>
> Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
> internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
> Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
> access point).
>
> I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
> only if i need a router or an access point ?
>
> any help would be great!
>
> cheers,
> jo

---
July 11, 2004 9:09:01 PM

Hi.

Wireless Cable/DSL Routers are inexpensive and easy to use.

As an Access Point Wireless Cable/Routers are usually set to Gateway and
thus somewhat limited.

This limitation does not apply to most of Home user. The following page
explains this limitation.

http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> You can get wireless routers for about the same price as an access
> point. And all of the routers I have seen have 2-4 wired ports as
> well. You connect the modem to the router WAN port and connect each
> computer to one of the wired ports or as wireless. The router and
> modem stay powered up and any computer can connect to the
> Internet independent of the other computers. And the routers have
> built in security from hackers. The computers on your network are
> invisible to Internet hackers.
>
> hawk
>
> jo wrote:
> > I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
> > offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
> >
> > Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
> > presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
> > running perfect.
> >
> > Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
> > internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
> > Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
> > access point).
> >
> > I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
> > only if i need a router or an access point ?
> >
> > any help would be great!
> >
> > cheers,
> > jo
July 12, 2004 6:34:38 PM

The most versatile way to go is to purchase a wireless router that also
includes 4 Ethernet (wired) ports and a printer server. An example is the
D-Link DI-714P+ . That's what I have, but I think other brands include the
same features.

!