sharing cable broadband

I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.

Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
running perfect.

Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
access point).

I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
only if i need a router or an access point ?

any help would be great!

cheers,
jo
4 answers Last reply
More about sharing cable broadband

    You can get wireless routers for about the same price as an access
    point. And all of the routers I have seen have 2-4 wired ports as
    well. You connect the modem to the router WAN port and connect each
    computer to one of the wired ports or as wireless. The router and
    modem stay powered up and any computer can connect to the
    Internet independent of the other computers. And the routers have
    built in security from hackers. The computers on your network are
    invisible to Internet hackers.

    hawk

    jo wrote:
    > I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
    > offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
    >
    > Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
    > presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
    > running perfect.
    >
    > Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
    > internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
    > Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
    > access point).
    >
    > I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
    > only if i need a router or an access point ?
    >
    > any help would be great!
    >
    > cheers,
    > jo

    Why not get a combination broadband router and wireless access point? The cost of a combination unit
    now a days is pretty low, particularly if you shop the sales. Personally I use a Buffalo WBR-G54
    4-Port Broadband Router/802.11g/b Wireless Access Point with my cable ISP, Cox HSI. My two XP boxes,
    one XP Pro and one XP Home, are wired via a 100 Mbps LAN and I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC wirelessly
    to connect to the LAN... I bought the Buffalo device for $65 or so at CompUSA, after rebates, awhile
    back. Look at these sites for product reviews...

    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.timhiggins.com/

    Good luck...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
    > offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
    >
    > Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
    > presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
    > running perfect.
    >
    > Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
    > internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
    > Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
    > access point).
    >
    > I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
    > only if i need a router or an access point ?
    >
    > any help would be great!
    >
    > cheers,
    > jo

    ---

    Hi.

    Wireless Cable/DSL Routers are inexpensive and easy to use.

    As an Access Point Wireless Cable/Routers are usually set to Gateway and
    thus somewhat limited.

    This limitation does not apply to most of Home user. The following page
    explains this limitation.

    http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > You can get wireless routers for about the same price as an access
    > point. And all of the routers I have seen have 2-4 wired ports as
    > well. You connect the modem to the router WAN port and connect each
    > computer to one of the wired ports or as wireless. The router and
    > modem stay powered up and any computer can connect to the
    > Internet independent of the other computers. And the routers have
    > built in security from hackers. The computers on your network are
    > invisible to Internet hackers.
    >
    > hawk
    >
    > jo wrote:
    > > I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
    > > offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
    > >
    > > Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
    > > presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
    > > running perfect.
    > >
    > > Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
    > > internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
    > > Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
    > > access point).
    > >
    > > I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
    > > only if i need a router or an access point ?
    > >
    > > any help would be great!
    > >
    > > cheers,
    > > jo

    The most versatile way to go is to purchase a wireless router that also
    includes 4 Ethernet (wired) ports and a printer server. An example is the
    D-Link DI-714P+ . That's what I have, but I think other brands include the
    same features.

    "jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a cabke internet connection at home. Its a bundle
    > offer with Tele & Phone. The internet is 750K line.
    >
    > Now, the modem i have is Scientific Atlantic and it is
    > presently connected to a laptop running WIn XP. Its
    > running perfect.
    >
    > Now i'm planning to attach 2 more desktops to share this
    > internet connection...my doubt is whether i shuld buy a
    > Router (eg linksys router) or an access point (eg linksys
    > access point).
    >
    > I cuold go for wireless or ethernet ..but my doubt is
    > only if i need a router or an access point ?
    >
    > any help would be great!
    >
    > cheers,
    > jo

Internet Connection Wireless Networking Product