ATI custom resolutions?

I am looking at getting a new graphics card. One of the features I am
looking at is the ability to set the desktop resolution to 720 x 576 for
TV out applications on a PAL standard definition TV. I have read that
such a resolution can be achieved with nVidia cards using the drivers.
I've so far been unable to find out if this can be done with ATI cards.
Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing and can
tell me if this is possible?

Thanks
Andy

Andrew Dixon wrote:

> I am looking at getting a new graphics card. One of the features I am
> looking at is the ability to set the desktop resolution to 720 x 576 for
> TV out applications on a PAL standard definition TV. I have read that
> such a resolution can be achieved with nVidia cards using the drivers.
> I've so far been unable to find out if this can be done with ATI cards.
> Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing and can
> tell me if this is possible?

Powerstrip would certainly allow that, however if the board has a PAL video
output then it should be a non-issue anyway.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke wrote:
> Andrew Dixon wrote:
>

>>I am looking at getting a new graphics card. One of the features I am
>>looking at is the ability to set the desktop resolution to 720 x 576 for
>>TV out applications on a PAL standard definition TV. I have read that
>>such a resolution can be achieved with nVidia cards using the drivers.
>>I've so far been unable to find out if this can be done with ATI cards.
>> Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing and can
>>tell me if this is possible?
>

> Powerstrip would certainly allow that, however if the board has a PAL video
> output then it should be a non-issue anyway.
>

>>Thanks
>>Andy

Thanks for your reply.

If I have a desktop resolution of say 1024x768 and I am watching a PAL
dvd on a PAL tv via TV then my dvd will go through a 720x576 > 1024x768
> 720x576 conversion right? Or am I misunderstanding something? It is
this conversion that I want to avoid.

Thanks
Andy

Andrew Dixon wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Andrew Dixon wrote:
>>

>>>I am looking at getting a new graphics card. One of the features I am
>>>looking at is the ability to set the desktop resolution to 720 x 576 for
>>>TV out applications on a PAL standard definition TV. I have read that
>>>such a resolution can be achieved with nVidia cards using the drivers.
>>>I've so far been unable to find out if this can be done with ATI cards.
>>> Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing and can
>>>tell me if this is possible?
>>

>> Powerstrip would certainly allow that, however if the board has a PAL
>> video output then it should be a non-issue anyway.
>>

>>>Thanks
>>>Andy
>>

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> If I have a desktop resolution of say 1024x768 and I am watching a PAL
> dvd on a PAL tv via TV then my dvd will go through a 720x576 > 1024x768
> > 720x576 conversion right? Or am I misunderstanding something? It is
> this conversion that I want to avoid.

The resolution of the TV-out is independent of the desktop if you run it in
theater mode.