The shield safe av versus grisoft av

July 30, 2005 12:15:47 AM

David H. Lipman Wrote:
> From: "owl" owl.1suqds@pcbanter.net
>

> | Have just unistalled norton av, I think, and have been on websites
> | compare different av's. the top 2 recommended seem to be
> | The Shield Pro av and
> | Grisoft
> | any opinions please, as at present, I have no av protection,
> | early replies would be greatly appreciated.
> | many thanks in anticipation-- owl
>
> You should ask such a question in a virus News Group.
>
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> I would NOT recomend The Shield Pro ! It has zero following in
> alt.comp.virus and it has a
> small library. ~33,000 even ClamAV which is junk has more. Good AV
> software should be 2.5
> to 5 times that size.
>
> AVG v7.x is a better choice. CA eTrust is even better than AVG.
>
> AVAST -
>
> AntiVir -
> http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
>
> AVG -
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
>
> CA eTrust -
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
> { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks for your advice, I have downloaded AVG free edition, and
amazingly it found 9 trojan horses, yet I have subcribed to Norton for
2 yrs and it never picked these up. Avg has put them in a vault, do not
fully understand this, do they just stay there? Have consulted their
help notes but do not fully comprehend them either, but anyhow based
onthe fact that it detected these, I will probably subcribe to the paid
version, do you know if it user friendly to people that are not that
experienced with computer termonology?
Once again thanks for your time, help and advice, so many things with a
computer are a minefield, but i'm still learning and practicing!

--
owl
Anonymous

AVG is user friendly.........it has a very short learning curve.
If you open the AVG control center you will see the virus vault
right click and open
it will list the trojans
under action.........empty vault............trojans gone

peterk

the problem
"owl" <owl.1syfps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:o wl.1syfps@pcbanter.net...

> David H. Lipman Wrote:
>> From: "owl" owl.1suqds@pcbanter.net
>>

>> | Have just unistalled norton av, I think, and have been on websites
>> | compare different av's. the top 2 recommended seem to be
>> | The Shield Pro av and
>> | Grisoft
>> | any opinions please, as at present, I have no av protection,
>> | early replies would be greatly appreciated.
>> | many thanks in anticipation-- owl
>>
>> You should ask such a question in a virus News Group.
>>
>> microsoft.public.security.virus
>> alt.comp.virus
>> alt.comp.anti-virus
>>
>> I would NOT recomend The Shield Pro ! It has zero following in
>> alt.comp.virus and it has a
>> small library. ~33,000 even ClamAV which is junk has more. Good AV
>> software should be 2.5
>> to 5 times that size.
>>
>> AVG v7.x is a better choice. CA eTrust is even better than AVG.
>>
>> AVAST -
>>
>> AntiVir -
>> http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
>>
>> AVG -
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
>>
>> CA eTrust -
>> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
>> { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>

> Thanks for your advice, I have downloaded AVG free edition, and
> amazingly it found 9 trojan horses, yet I have subcribed to Norton for
> 2 yrs and it never picked these up. Avg has put them in a vault, do not
> fully understand this, do they just stay there? Have consulted their
> help notes but do not fully comprehend them either, but anyhow based
> onthe fact that it detected these, I will probably subcribe to the paid
> version, do you know if it user friendly to people that are not that
> experienced with computer termonology?
> Once again thanks for your time, help and advice, so many things with a
> computer are a minefield, but i'm still learning and practicing!
>

> --
> owl
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2005 2:07:52 PM

From: "owl" <owl.1syfps@pcbanter.net>

| Thanks for your advice, I have downloaded AVG free edition, andamazingly it found 9 trojan
| horses, yet I have subcribed to Norton for2 yrs and it never picked these up. Avg has put
| them in a vault, do notfully understand this, do they just stay there? Have consulted
| theirhelp notes but do not fully comprehend them either, but anyhow basedonthe fact that
| it detected these, I will probably subcribe to the paidversion, do you know if it user
| friendly to people that are not thatexperienced with computer termonology? Once again
| thanks for your time, help and advice, so many things with acomputer are a minefield, but
| i'm still learning and practicing!-- owl

Owl:

No problem. I'm glad that you now have a current AV solution and it found and cleaned some
infectors.

You may want to verify that you are indeed clean of infectors. I have written a front end
to the scanners from; McAfee, Trend Micro and Sophos that you can run "On Demand". They
can be used to make sure your PC is indeed infector free and can co-exist with AVG.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

!