Dual XP installation - security question

I hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this
question in.....?

I have just divided my hard drive using Partition
Magic into two partitions C and E and have installed
an installation of XP on both. My thinking is that the
version installed on partition E will be used for
testing software, visiting dodgy web sites etc and
will frequently be re-installed from scratch.

My problem is that when I boot from the C drive
installation I can still see the E drive and
vice-versa. I would like to totally isolate the two
partions such that any viruses/malware etc picked up
on the 'scratch' installation on E cannot be passed
across to the C drive installation.

I think I can hide the partitions from each other
using Partition Magic and the Boot Manager, but will
this completely isolate the partitions from each
other. Can I achieve the isolation by setting the
sharing permissions from Windows in someway?

Hope this makes sense? Any help appreciated
2 answers Last reply
More about dual installation security question

    In news:Oa4DbmNlFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Emma <emma_godding@yahoo.co.uk> typed:
    > I hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this
    > question in.....?
    >
    > I have just divided my hard drive using Partition
    > Magic into two partitions C and E and have installed
    > an installation of XP on both. My thinking is that the
    > version installed on partition E will be used for
    > testing software, visiting dodgy web sites etc and
    > will frequently be re-installed from scratch.
    >
    > My problem is that when I boot from the C drive
    > installation I can still see the E drive and
    > vice-versa. I would like to totally isolate the two
    > partions such that any viruses/malware etc picked up
    > on the 'scratch' installation on E cannot be passed
    > across to the C drive installation.
    >
    > I think I can hide the partitions from each other
    > using Partition Magic and the Boot Manager, but will
    > this completely isolate the partitions from each
    > other. Can I achieve the isolation by setting the
    > sharing permissions from Windows in someway?
    >
    > Hope this makes sense? Any help appreciated

    OT, but why not use Virtual PC for this purpose?

    I use PQboot to boot XP from 1st or 2nd partition - 1
    is always hidden & other is always C:

    Whatever u r using I wouldnt know about so I suggest
    using PQboot but be aware of default drive letters XP
    may assign- u dont want F drive asigned to G or E when
    u boot either XP. Here D is conspicuous by its
    absence!!

    HTH-Larry

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:35:44 -0500, "Emma"
    <emma_godding@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    |I hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this
    |question in.....?
    |
    |I have just divided my hard drive using Partition
    |Magic into two partitions C and E and have installed
    |an installation of XP on both. My thinking is that the
    |version installed on partition E will be used for
    |testing software, visiting dodgy web sites etc and
    |will frequently be re-installed from scratch.
    |
    |My problem is that when I boot from the C drive
    |installation I can still see the E drive and
    |vice-versa. I would like to totally isolate the two
    |partions such that any viruses/malware etc picked up
    |on the 'scratch' installation on E cannot be passed
    |across to the C drive installation.
    |
    |I think I can hide the partitions from each other
    |using Partition Magic and the Boot Manager, but will
    |this completely isolate the partitions from each
    |other. Can I achieve the isolation by setting the
    |sharing permissions from Windows in someway?
    |
    |Hope this makes sense? Any help appreciated

    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Security Windows XP