RADEON 9550

I've been looking for a 9550 256mb card on eBay (yes, I'm cheap). I see
that there are several types, i.e Stealth, Powercolor, etc. How do
these cards differ? Are they made by different companies? The
Powercolor is a bit cheaper, is it inferior?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Gerald Meyer" <Youngblood430@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I've been looking for a 9550 256mb card on eBay (yes, I'm cheap). I see
> that there are several types, i.e Stealth, Powercolor, etc. How do
> these cards differ? Are they made by different companies? The
> Powercolor is a bit cheaper, is it inferior?

This is basically a budget card, with a large amount of very cheap and slow
190Mhz or 200Mhz memory (brand dependant), a slow 250Mhz core, AGP 8X
compliance and DX9 support. It's one of the ATI bottom feeder group of
cards. You can get a Sapphire 9600 Pro 128Mb (400Mhz core / 300Mhz
memory)for $76 new. This is a decent low end card. Not the 9550.
ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102408

Gerald Meyer wrote:
> I've been looking for a 9550 256mb card on eBay (yes, I'm cheap). I see
> that there are several types, i.e Stealth, Powercolor, etc. How do
> these cards differ? Are they made by different companies? The
> Powercolor is a bit cheaper, is it inferior?

Hard to say - one thing when getting a 9550 - make sure it is the 128bit
NON-SE version as the 64bit one will be slow.

Gerald Meyer wrote:

> I've been looking for a 9550 256mb card on eBay (yes, I'm cheap). I
> see that there are several types, i.e Stealth, Powercolor, etc. How
> do these cards differ? Are they made by different companies? The
> Powercolor is a bit cheaper, is it inferior?

Why do people always think that's something inferior quality when it's
cheaper?

Anyway, a Radeon 9550 with 256mb of memory is silly. Games which require
256mb won't run decently on a 9550.

=- Brian Dickens

Augustus wrote:
> "Gerald Meyer" <Youngblood430@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've been looking for a 9550 256mb card on eBay (yes, I'm cheap). I see
>>that there are several types, i.e Stealth, Powercolor, etc. How do
>>these cards differ? Are they made by different companies? The
>>Powercolor is a bit cheaper, is it inferior?
>

> This is basically a budget card, with a large amount of very cheap and slow
> 190Mhz or 200Mhz memory (brand dependant), a slow 250Mhz core, AGP 8X
> compliance and DX9 support. It's one of the ATI bottom feeder group of
> cards. You can get a Sapphire 9600 Pro 128Mb (400Mhz core / 300Mhz
> memory)for $76 new. This is a decent low end card. Not the 9550.
> ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102408

Excellent price, however not everyone on this usenet group lives in the
US, for the
rest of us its currency exchange rate and tax. Eight months ago I
bought a Sapphire 128 bit
9550 with 256MB vidram for $135 local currency.. Did I get taken, yes
big time, but then again I don't live
in the US.