9800 Pro Problem

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Installed a new Sapphire 9800 Pro to replace my old 9000. Getting occasional
BSODs when doing anything except gaming. Games are playing quite well. The
BSODs most usually occur after exiting the game and attempting to start a
regular task (I.E., mail, Explorer, etc.)

BSODs are weird in that I can not read the message - the characters are
gibbirish. Only thing recognizable is what looks to be a countdown that goes
from 1 to 90 then stops.

5.1 Cats came with the card and updating to 5.6 did not help.
Throttling back to 4x did not help.
Temps are about 100f - 112f for MB and CPU after gaming.
Doom3 (medium), MoH all play very well (hour or so is all I tried) and about
on the level I expected from the upgrade.

Googled the hell out of it and the only similar situation I come across was
fixed by turning off fast writes which I plan to try next.
Anyone seen this before?

P4 1.6
Asus P4P800SE
Intel 845 chipset
384 mb ram (yeah, I know - I'm working on it)
XP SP2

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Installed a new Sapphire 9800 Pro to replace my old 9000. Getting
> occasional
> BSODs when doing anything except gaming. Games are playing quite well. The
> BSODs most usually occur after exiting the game and attempting to start a
> regular task (I.E., mail, Explorer, etc.)
>
> BSODs are weird in that I can not read the message - the characters are
> gibbirish. Only thing recognizable is what looks to be a countdown that
> goes
> from 1 to 90 then stops.

What kind of power supply is this setup running? Although it seems to
function well in games, it's possible that your p/s is causing the issues by
now not supplying enough juice to the m/b. You've tried various drivers, so
that's not it. Your hardware was fine before, and it's not likely the 9800
Pro is the culprit based on your symptoms. The other component that's being
strained compared to before is the p/s/

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Update:::

Disabled "Fast Writes" and BSODs seem to be history ... WHOOOOOOO!!

But this a.m. once got a monitor warning "30k / ohz frequency is out of
range" and then later the monitor just cut out as if going into standby.
Testing now at 60hz instead of 75. This is an old Dell 17"..trying to get a
monitor driver but the download site seems to be down today.

The PS is a 400w "ABIT"? and came with the case. The stated amps on the
rails seem to be adaquate compared with what Googled pages suggest.
At the moment it is running 4 fans, two HDs, DVD Rom, DVD RW, and the VGA
card. Unplugged a couple of the fans yesterday and still crashed. Leaving
this option open until the "free" solutions are exhausted.

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Installed a new Sapphire 9800 Pro to replace my old 9000. Getting
>> occasional
>> BSODs when doing anything except gaming. Games are playing quite well.
>> The
>> BSODs most usually occur after exiting the game and attempting to start a
>> regular task (I.E., mail, Explorer, etc.)
>>
>> BSODs are weird in that I can not read the message - the characters are
>> gibbirish. Only thing recognizable is what looks to be a countdown that
>> goes
>> from 1 to 90 then stops.
>
> What kind of power supply is this setup running? Although it seems to
> function well in games, it's possible that your p/s is causing the issues
> by now not supplying enough juice to the m/b. You've tried various
> drivers, so that's not it. Your hardware was fine before, and it's not
> likely the 9800 Pro is the culprit based on your symptoms. The other
> component that's being strained compared to before is the p/s/

Ian

James wrote:
> Update:::
>
> Disabled "Fast Writes" and BSODs seem to be history ... WHOOOOOOO!!
>
> But this a.m. once got a monitor warning "30k / ohz frequency is out of
> range" and then later the monitor just cut out as if going into standby.
> Testing now at 60hz instead of 75. This is an old Dell 17"..trying to get a
> monitor driver but the download site seems to be down today.
>
> The PS is a 400w "ABIT"? and came with the case. The stated amps on the
> rails seem to be adaquate compared with what Googled pages suggest.
> At the moment it is running 4 fans, two HDs, DVD Rom, DVD RW, and the VGA
> card. Unplugged a couple of the fans yesterday and still crashed. Leaving
> this option open until the "free" solutions are exhausted.

Hi James,

If not the PSU then what about overheating?

I don't think there is a Dell monitor driver that will make any real
difference to the other problem. I have a Dell 1025HE which is
recognised by Windows anyway and reports the correct information to the
ATI driver via DDE. At 60 or 75 Hz you are not going to go out of upper
range, but 30 might be below range (was it trying to treat it as a TV ?)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 18/06/2005
Tested on: 19/06/2005 15:19:04

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:30:36 -0400, "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Update:::
>
>Disabled "Fast Writes" and BSODs seem to be history ... WHOOOOOOO!!

You are not meant to have fast writes on for an AGP Radeon (with a few
exceptions)
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Tony DiMarzio ("AGP Fast Writes" yield >2x better WMV9 Hi-Def performance)
might disagree with that statement (further down this thread). Never caused
me any problems either...

Dirk