Local Security Policy - where is it ?

I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I have set up both administrator
and user accounts for myself. Now I need to create a "Debug Users"
group, and add my user account to it. My XP manual says that I should
use Local Security Policy console, which is located in "Administrative
Tools" folder in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, I cannot find it
there.

Where should I look for the Local Security Policy console ?
3 answers Last reply
More about local security policy

    petro12@mail.com wrote:
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I have set up both
    > administrator and user accounts for myself. Now I need to
    > create a "Debug Users" group, and add my user account to it.
    > My XP manual says that I should use Local Security Policy
    > console, which is located in "Administrative Tools" folder
    > in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, I cannot find it there.
    >
    > Where should I look for the Local Security Policy console ?

    The Local Security Policy as well as the ability to create new
    groups is only available in XP Professional. Whatever "manual"
    you're looking at seems to have overlooked that fact.

    FYI, in Windows XP Professional, you would go to Computer
    Management -> Local User and Groups or enter lusrmgr.msc in the
    Run box.

    Managing Groups in Windows XP Professional
    http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/manage_groups.shtml

    Nepatsfan

    The normal user interface of XP Home Edition does limited the use of
    groups and security settings. However, if you were to access the OS in
    "Safe Mode" you will find security settings are available that you would
    not otherise see.

    Nepatsfan wrote:
    > petro12@mail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I have set up both
    >>administrator and user accounts for myself. Now I need to
    >>create a "Debug Users" group, and add my user account to it.
    >>My XP manual says that I should use Local Security Policy
    >>console, which is located in "Administrative Tools" folder
    >>in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, I cannot find it there.
    >>
    >>Where should I look for the Local Security Policy console ?
    >

    > The Local Security Policy as well as the ability to create new
    > groups is only available in XP Professional. Whatever "manual"
    > you're looking at seems to have overlooked that fact.
    >
    > FYI, in Windows XP Professional, you would go to Computer
    > Management -> Local User and Groups or enter lusrmgr.msc in the
    > Run box.
    >
    > Managing Groups in Windows XP Professional
    > http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/manage_groups.shtml
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Answered inline:

    Dazza wrote:
    > The normal user interface of XP Home Edition does limited
    > the use of groups and security settings. However, if you
    > were to access the OS in "Safe Mode" you will find security
    > settings are available that you would not otherise see.

    In order to accomplish his goal, petro12 needs to access these
    two features:

    Local Users and Groups
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/5824/0735616310-10.gif

    Local Security Settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_sec_nmzo.asp

    Those are features only available in XP Professional.

    If you know of some way that booting XP Home Edition in Safe
    Mode allows access to them you'd be doing the rest of us an
    invaluable service by passing that tip along.

    The only two major capabilities that become available to XP
    Home Edition running in Safe Mode are access to the built-in
    Administrator account and the ability to modify NTFS
    permissions. Neither would help solve the original question.

    Nepatsfan

    > Nepatsfan wrote:
    >> petro12@mail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I have set up both
    >>> administrator and user accounts for myself. Now I need to
    >>> create a "Debug Users" group, and add my user account to
    >>> it. My XP manual says that I should use Local Security
    >>> Policy console, which is located in "Administrative Tools"
    >>> folder in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, I cannot find
    >>> it there. Where should I look for the Local Security Policy
    >>> console ?
    >>

    >> The Local Security Policy as well as the ability to create
    >> new groups is only available in XP Professional. Whatever
    >> "manual" you're looking at seems to have overlooked that
    >> fact. FYI, in Windows XP Professional, you would go to
    >> Computer
    >> Management -> Local User and Groups or enter lusrmgr.msc in
    >> the Run box.
    >>
    >> Managing Groups in Windows XP Professional
    >> http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/manage_groups.shtml
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan

Policy Security Windows XP