MS wireless/wired router - supposed to work this way?

Over the weekend I ripped out my DLink firewall/router and replaced it with
the Microsoft (now discontinued?) wireless router. For the most part it was
painless, but a couple of issues have surfaced.

1) Computers connected to it via network cable. In the past, whenever I
connected a computer up to a network router, I did the IPCONFIG /release and
/renew to get my DHCP settings, then I was good to go. However, with the MS
router, it seems I need to load their broadband networking utility to get a
connection...the ipconfig works but seems to lose its setting between
logins. Is this normal? If so, then how do I connect a Mac or Linux box to
this router? I'm surprised it doesn't behave like my previous routers
(DLink, SMC) in this respect.

2) Wireless - on one laptop so far, using the Microsoft G card. When I did
the initial setup, it wouldn't accept the 26-character encryption key I set
on the base station. Not if I keyed it in, not if I copied the saved XML
file to that box. I finally exited setup, then was able to set the key in a
separate place (control panel maybe). Then it worked fine.

Comments? Clues?

Would also love a comment on how "compatible" or "supported" the MS G card
is - does it use a recognized chipset? Do 3rd-party programs see it and use
it (like wardriving programs)?

Dana Cline - MVP

1. You should not have to load any MS Broadband software at all to get
an IP if you are using a wired connection (unless you are using a MS
wired NIC and need the drivers). That includes Macintosh, Linux, or
anything else capable of receiving an IP via DHCP. You may be
experiencing some issues that are resolved with a firmware upgrade
that is already available ( what version of the runtime and boot code
are reported? ) plus there are some additional issues that are
supposed to be resolved with an UPCOMING firmware upgrade (in the SP2
RTM timeframe).

2. don't even try to use the MS Broadband software with an XP wireless
machine. use XP's built in wireless zero config (which is probably
what you did).

the MN-720 uses a Broadcom chip (the same one that was in the original
Linksys G, Buffalotech G, Belkin G notebook cards, etc.). Netstumbler
0.40 should work with it ok.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:
> 1. You should not have to load any MS Broadband software at all to get
> an IP if you are using a wired connection (unless you are using a MS
> wired NIC and need the drivers). That includes Macintosh, Linux, or
> anything else capable of receiving an IP via DHCP. You may be
> experiencing some issues that are resolved with a firmware upgrade
> that is already available ( what version of the runtime and boot code
> are reported? ) plus there are some additional issues that are
> supposed to be resolved with an UPCOMING firmware upgrade (in the SP2
> RTM timeframe).

I'll confirm that Linux(Fedora Core 2, and SUSE 9.0 Pro) have no problems
getting
an IP thru DHCP from a MN-700, so MS Broadband Software is definitely not
needed.

Dick Kistler