Dead 9800 pro...

Just stopped outputting video and wouldn't allow the pc to reboot
while it was in the agp slot. No o/c'ing or anything like that, I even
put an arctic cooler on it and took the side of the case off, just to
be nice.
It was extremely hot here in the UK this weekend, and the ram chips
were so hot that I had to take my finger off after a few seconds.
Ahh well, RMA time and a slow NV card to see me through.....

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:35:43 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:

>Just stopped outputting video and wouldn't allow the pc to reboot
>while it was in the agp slot. No o/c'ing or anything like that, I even
>put an arctic cooler on it and took the side of the case off, just to
>be nice.
>It was extremely hot here in the UK this weekend, and the ram chips
>were so hot that I had to take my finger off after a few seconds.
>Ahh well, RMA time and a slow NV card to see me through.....

Same symptoms here. No overclocking. Artic cooling VGA silencer
installed. Room temp at 70 F when it died. Plenty of cooling in a full
tower SuperMicro case. Just sent an RMA request. Have a spare ATI 9500
installed now. Mine is the AIW.
db

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:35:43 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:

>Just stopped outputting video and wouldn't allow the pc to reboot
>while it was in the agp slot. No o/c'ing or anything like that, I even
>put an arctic cooler on it and took the side of the case off, just to
>be nice.
>It was extremely hot here in the UK this weekend, and the ram chips
>were so hot that I had to take my finger off after a few seconds.
>Ahh well, RMA time and a slow NV card to see me through.....

My PC suffers with very hot weather. I'm not sure if it is the card or
elsewhere. HL2 is the killer. Maybe it's nature's way of telling you
to go outside.

--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> Just stopped outputting video and wouldn't allow the pc to reboot
> while it was in the agp slot. No o/c'ing or anything like that, I even
> put an arctic cooler on it and took the side of the case off, just to
> be nice.
> It was extremely hot here in the UK this weekend, and the ram chips
> were so hot that I had to take my finger off after a few seconds.
> Ahh well, RMA time and a slow NV card to see me through.....
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

I've had two go south on me. Apparently they overheat easy, had enough and
bought and 800XL.

I wish my 9800 Pro would burn up and die (that way I'd have no excuse but to
get a better video card!).

--
there is no .sig
"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> Just stopped outputting video and wouldn't allow the pc to reboot
> while it was in the agp slot. No o/c'ing or anything like that, I even
> put an arctic cooler on it and took the side of the case off, just to
> be nice.
> It was extremely hot here in the UK this weekend, and the ram chips
> were so hot that I had to take my finger off after a few seconds.
> Ahh well, RMA time and a slow NV card to see me through.....
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Be careful what you wish for.

Of course, when the 9800Pro burns up and dies, there's no telling what other
parts will go down with it...