X800 XT problem

I bought a Saphire x800 XT about 6 months ago and was able to get it
installed and working correctly. I tried updating the catalyst drivers
today (4.9 to 5.6), but everything seemed to go wrong. Installation
was unsuccessful. I tried to unistall and blow away all of the old
drivers with Driver Cleaner and install to catalyst 5.6 drivers from
scratch with no luck. I tried going back to the drivers the card came
with, however, it will not install.
I have tried installing in safemode, I have also tried hitting F8
while booting up and activating "VGA Mode" without any success.

When I install from the disk, installation begins and starts loading,
then it says that it needs essential files that are on the driver
installation disk. I already have the disk in the disk drive, but it
fails to reconize the files on the cd.

Edit: I am running Windows XP SP1

If I download the drivers on the internet and try to install, I get

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your
display adapter with a standard VGA driver before starting setup."

I currently do not have a driver loaded, and I am unable to get a
driver loaded. If anyone knows any solutions, please let me know! I
will be happy with the original drivers (4.9) or the new ones (5.6). I
will keep an eye on this thread, If you need any more information, let
me know.

Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-X800-XT-problem-ftopict57741.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291142

shawk

"Aero87" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I bought a Saphire x800 XT about 6 months ago and was able to get it
> installed and working correctly. I tried updating the catalyst drivers
> today (4.9 to 5.6), but everything seemed to go wrong. Installation
> was unsuccessful. I tried to unistall and blow away all of the old
> drivers with Driver Cleaner and install to catalyst 5.6 drivers from
> scratch with no luck. I tried going back to the drivers the card came
> with, however, it will not install.
> I have tried installing in safemode, I have also tried hitting F8
> while booting up and activating "VGA Mode" without any success.
>
> When I install from the disk, installation begins and starts loading,
> then it says that it needs essential files that are on the driver
> installation disk. I already have the disk in the disk drive, but it
> fails to reconize the files on the cd.
>
> Edit: I am running Windows XP SP1
>
> If I download the drivers on the internet and try to install, I get
>
> "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your
> display adapter with a standard VGA driver before starting setup."
>
> I currently do not have a driver loaded, and I am unable to get a
> driver loaded. If anyone knows any solutions, please let me know! I
> will be happy with the original drivers (4.9) or the new ones (5.6). I
> will keep an eye on this thread, If you need any more information, let
> me know.
>
> Thanks

First - can you roll back XP with system restore to a date when it worked?
(Yesterday)

Then - did you d-load the wrong version of the 5.6's (ie the larger one)?
If so it needs MS NET Framework which came after SP1. You can d-load that
separately from the MS site but you'd be better with the smaller version.

Ian

Shawk wrote:
> "Aero87" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>
>>I bought a Saphire x800 XT about 6 months ago and was able to get it
>>installed and working correctly. I tried updating the catalyst drivers
>>today (4.9 to 5.6), but everything seemed to go wrong. Installation
>>was unsuccessful. I tried to unistall and blow away all of the old
>>drivers with Driver Cleaner and install to catalyst 5.6 drivers from
>>scratch with no luck. I tried going back to the drivers the card came
>>with, however, it will not install.
>>I have tried installing in safemode, I have also tried hitting F8
>>while booting up and activating "VGA Mode" without any success.
>>
>>When I install from the disk, installation begins and starts loading,
>>then it says that it needs essential files that are on the driver
>>installation disk. I already have the disk in the disk drive, but it
>>fails to reconize the files on the cd.
>>
>>Edit: I am running Windows XP SP1
>>
>>If I download the drivers on the internet and try to install, I get
>>
>>"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your
>>display adapter with a standard VGA driver before starting setup."
>>
>>I currently do not have a driver loaded, and I am unable to get a
>>driver loaded. If anyone knows any solutions, please let me know! I
>>will be happy with the original drivers (4.9) or the new ones (5.6). I
>>will keep an eye on this thread, If you need any more information, let
>>me know.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> First - can you roll back XP with system restore to a date when it worked?
> (Yesterday)
>
> Then - did you d-load the wrong version of the 5.6's (ie the larger one)?
> If so it needs MS NET Framework which came after SP1. You can d-load that
> separately from the MS site but you'd be better with the smaller version.

I had this problem with 5.6 and I can walk you through manually
installing the drivers if you are still stuck.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-0, 27/06/2005
Tested on: 27/06/2005 18:37:36