User Account recovery

Computer could not start because of corrupted system files. Computer had
identity " ? ". I used XP restore disk .. Repair feature would not work so
I used "Set up XP" feature. Worked fine.
Computer's identity is now "B" because I didn't know old identity. Old
ID had user 'John' new identity has identity 'John-B'.
John wants to recover his documents, email, etc. from the 'John' user
account under Documents & Settings folder but we are unable to access it.
Can't do anything with it at command prompt either.
Anyone know how to recover the data? It would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about user account recovery

    Working in Vermont wrote:
    > Computer could not start because of corrupted system files.
    > Computer had identity " ? ". I used XP restore disk ..
    > Repair feature would not work so I used "Set up XP" feature.
    > Worked fine. Computer's identity is now "B" because I
    > didn't know old identity. Old
    > ID had user 'John' new identity has identity 'John-B'.
    > John wants to recover his documents, email, etc. from
    > the 'John' user account under Documents & Settings folder
    > but we are unable to access it. Can't do anything with it at
    > command prompt either. Anyone know how to recover the
    > data? It would be appreciated.

    Sounds like you need to take ownership of the files. Take a
    look here for
    the procedure:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    I have accidentally erased my wife's user account, and all documents are
    gone. Please need help to recover them, or I will face divorce or
    certain death.
    Tried using the description below, taking ownership of a folder or
    file, but her MY DOCUMENTS is empty or seems to be.

    PLEASE HELP!!!!!

    --
    mrmilano

    mrmilano wrote:
    > I have accidentally erased my wife's user account, and all
    > documents are gone. Please need help to recover them, or I
    > will face divorce or certain death.
    > Tried using the description below, taking ownership of a
    > folder or file, but her MY DOCUMENTS is empty or seems to be.
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!!!!!

    First off, you might want to post your question as a new thread
    in one of the newsgroups that sees more traffic. General or
    Help and Support would be your best options.

    Now back to your problem, how did you "erase" your wife's
    account? Did you use the User Account applet in Control Panel?

    Where is her "My Documents" folder currently located? Is it
    still in the C:\Documents and Settings\HERUSERNAME folder?

    If you can't recover her files by taking ownership, you may
    need to try one of the many file recovery utilities that are
    available on the internet. Take a look here for some options:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+file+recovery+software&btnG=Google+Search

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    > Nepatsfan Wrote:
    >> Working in Vermont wrote:-
    >> Computer could not start because of corrupted system files.
    >> Computer had identity " ? ". I used XP restore disk ..
    >> Repair feature would not work so I used "Set up XP" feature.
    >> Worked fine. Computer's identity is now "B" because I
    >> didn't know old identity. Old
    >> ID had user 'John' new identity has identity 'John-B'.
    >> John wants to recover his documents, email, etc. from
    >> the 'John' user account under Documents & Settings folder
    >> but we are unable to access it. Can't do anything with it at
    >> command prompt either. Anyone know how to recover the
    >> data? It would be appreciated.-
    >>
    >> Sounds like you need to take ownership of the files. Take a
    >> look here for
    >> the procedu
    >>
    >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3bopl
    >>
    >> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a
    >> Folder http://tinyurl.com/2noqo
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >

    > --
    > mrmilano

    YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY AND DO A SYSTEM RESTORE...IF THE WINDOWS RESTORE
    DOES NOT DO IT..THEN, I AM SURE YOU ARE SOL...AT THIS POINT MAKE SURE
    YOU EITHER CREATE A RESTORE POINT OR DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM'GO-BACK' BY
    ROXIO...THAT WILL ALOOW YOU TO ROLL BACK YOU SYSTEM WITH TO THE LAST
    TIME YOU LOGGED IN OR WILL ALLOW TO TO ROLL BACK TO ANOTHER POINT IN
    TIME...THE ONLY DISADVANTAGE SOF THIS IS THAT ANY CHANGES TO YOUR HARD
    DRIVE WILL BE LOST FROM TIME THAT YOU GO BACK TO UP TIL THE DAY YOU DO
    THE ROLL BACK

    --
    astephenhowell

Data Recovery Computers Windows XP