Forget HL2

Get Farcry. Much nicer. Steamless, and uses the Cryo engine.
25 answers Last reply
More about forget

    David Seiver wrote:
    > Get Farcry. Much nicer. Steamless, and uses the Cryo engine.

    Unfortunately though, it simply has no character. A little fun at times,
    but once the stupid Trigens come a long with their
    "I-can-hit-you-several-meters-away" atacks, I simply don't bother.

    David Seiver wrote:
    > Get Farcry. Much nicer. Steamless, and uses the Cryo engine.

    Well, I've got both. I also recommend PainKiller if you like fast-paced
    no-brain action with nice graphics.

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:34:34 GMT, David Seiver <Nonya@bizniss.net>
    wrote:

    >Get Farcry. Much nicer. Steamless, and uses the Cryo engine.

    ....no fun, insane difficulty towards the end.

    Nice tech demo though.

    "YER YER YER" wrote

    > Agreed, and it's also not as short as Half Life 2.

    Rather a short but intensive gameplay than a long and boring
    Nothing beats Ravenholm - except for They Hunger maybe

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "YER YER YER" wrote
    > >
    > > Agreed, and it's also not as short as Half Life 2.
    > >
    > Rather a short but intensive gameplay than a long and boring
    > Nothing beats Ravenholm - except for They Hunger maybe

    you must be kidding. farcry beats hl2 hands down! in EVERY way.
    hl1 was far more interesting than hl2. as is farcry. it not only beat hl2
    to market but also exceeds hl2 in every other aspect.
    graphics is a no brainer (2003 generation gfx vs. 2004 generation gfx)
    sound the same.
    in farcry you have freedom!!! that`s a big plus! you can actually solve it
    a lot of different ways, not like hl2 which is more like a ride. absolutely
    NO freedom, 100% linear as if on rails!

    even the story in farcry i found more engaging (which says a lot because
    hl1 was THE standard as to story telling) unfortunately hl2 is little more
    than a map collection with little to no story to speak of. you could easily
    swap the maps/levels around with absolutely NO difference in the experience.

    for me hl2 was the dissapointment of the year - NOT the game of the year :(
    i just hope stalker can lives up to at least half my expectations ^_^
    hl2 didn`t :(

    my .02
    Jan

    "Jan Gruetz" wrote

    > you must be kidding. farcry beats hl2 hands down! in EVERY way.

    Give me a location on earth which looks like the enviroment in FarCry and
    I'll eat dust

    Besides look at the crashlanding after you shoot the ... (arghh was it a
    helicopter?) down - the exact same place every time

    Freedom?
    No, you have just the same linear gameplay as in HL2 - it is more hidden
    though
    A) Take some baddies down B) Go to next spot C) Start from A

    If you want freedom in a game check out San Andreas

    Speaking of freedom you can take dogs ball with you to Ravenholm and have
    some fun there
    Some of the puzzles can be solved in different ways

    And at last how many mods have been made for FarCry?
    Freedom with a game is not just the game itself but any aspects with the
    game

    - Peter

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:29:50 +0100, "Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de>
    wrote:

    >you must be kidding. farcry beats hl2 hands down! in EVERY way.
    >hl1 was far more interesting than hl2. as is farcry. it not only beat hl2
    >to market but also exceeds hl2 in every other aspect.
    >graphics is a no brainer (2003 generation gfx vs. 2004 generation gfx)
    >sound the same.
    >in farcry you have freedom!!! that`s a big plus! you can actually solve it
    >a lot of different ways, not like hl2 which is more like a ride. absolutely
    >NO freedom, 100% linear as if on rails!

    Actually, they're about the same in story and gameplay. You will like
    the enhanced graphics and objects dynamics, though.
    Same theme: Some Big Bossman decides to take over the planet using
    mutants. I will say that the 'stunts' that your character can perform
    are a level above HL2, like flying the hangglider off the cliff.
    AI seems better too, as the supporting 'cast' also act out little
    plays on their own, not only the main characters.
    Of course, both have their merits, but I prefer Far Cry over HL.

    David Seiver wrote:
    > Same theme: Some Big Bossman decides to take over the planet using
    > mutants.

    Oh really? You think HL2's premise is that simple? Far Cry perhaps.

    A more accurate theme: An alien empire decides to take over the planet
    by hybride the dominant species (namely, us).

    David Seiver wrote:
    > Same theme: Some Big Bossman decides to take over the planet using
    > mutants.

    Oh really? You think HL2's premise is that simple? Far Cry perhaps.

    A more accurate theme: An alien empire decides to take over the planet
    by hybridising the dominant species (namely, us). Hence the reason why
    when you fight the Combine, you are always fighting human enemies
    (except the Xen aliens who are just there for the party).

    "David Seiver" <Nonya@bizniss.net> wrote in message

    > AI seems better too, as the supporting 'cast' also act out little
    > plays on their own, not only the main characters.

    Developers bragging about it doesn't make the AI good. Nor
    does the fact that it can "hear" you crawling from a mile away.
    Far Cry's AI wasn't bad, but it had some pretty glaring
    shortcomings. No reaction to grenades. Always move to
    player position in 2D space (instead of establishing line of fire,
    something HL2's AI did very well). And quit repeating the
    same damn taunts over and over. I thought HL2's AI was
    better in many ways, and certainly more fun to play against.
    As far as allies go, they were a bit of a nuisance in HL2, but
    Val was equally inept.

    > Of course, both have their merits, but I prefer Far Cry over HL.

    Agreed, though the other way around. One thing Far Cry did
    much better was outdoor environments. Look at the horizon
    at the end of Water Hazard. WTF?

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

    > If you want freedom in a game check out San Andreas

    Or World of Warcraft :)

    --
    Paul

    "David Seiver" <Nonya@bizniss.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:29:50 +0100, "Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> you must be kidding. farcry beats hl2 hands down! in EVERY way.
    >> hl1 was far more interesting than hl2. as is farcry. it not only
    >> beat hl2 to market but also exceeds hl2 in every other aspect.
    >> graphics is a no brainer (2003 generation gfx vs. 2004 generation
    >> gfx) sound the same.
    >> in farcry you have freedom!!! that`s a big plus! you can actually
    >> solve it a lot of different ways, not like hl2 which is more like a
    >> ride. absolutely NO freedom, 100% linear as if on rails!
    >
    > Actually, they're about the same in story and gameplay. You will like
    > the enhanced graphics and objects dynamics, though.
    > Same theme: Some Big Bossman decides to take over the planet using
    > mutants. I will say that the 'stunts' that your character can perform
    > are a level above HL2, like flying the hangglider off the cliff.
    > AI seems better too, as the supporting 'cast' also act out little
    > plays on their own, not only the main characters.
    > Of course, both have their merits, but I prefer Far Cry over HL.

    The scenery is great in Far Cry. Gameplay is SiN all over. The CryTek
    engine is pretty good tho. I enjoyed sniping the humans outdoors a lot.
    The TriGens just made it an arcade shooter. Some of the scenes were
    just absolutely ridiculous. Now, back to HL2 and Doom3 :)
    McG.

    "Paul Catley" wrote

    > Or World of Warcraft :)

    Or Real-Life (tm)

    The kids is scuffling around in FFXI
    I'll expect they eventually will upgrade to WoW

    Sounds like something they'd have to go through
    You know killing their FFXI character and start from sratch in WoW

    I am not going to pay a monthly fee for both games, no way :)

    - Peter

    "McGrandpa" wrote

    > I enjoyed sniping the humans outdoors a lot.

    By which you don't raise any alerts in the base - strange and mysteriously
    behaviour by the AI

    NPC down (or found) -> trigger alert -> man radio -> call for backup
    How hard would that be?
    Look at the AI for eg Vietcong, CoD or the MoH series for how it can be done

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" wrote
    >
    > > I enjoyed sniping the humans outdoors a lot.
    >
    > By which you don't raise any alerts in the base - strange and mysteriously
    > behaviour by the AI

    Strange, it always did for me. Maybe a function of difficulty level. The
    mystery for me was how I could take out a sniper from half a mile away,
    and a couple of minutes later be surrounded by a bunch of grunts who
    could not possibly have seen me.

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:45:03 GMT, "nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Strange, it always did for me. Maybe a function of difficulty level. The
    >mystery for me was how I could take out a sniper from half a mile away,
    >and a couple of minutes later be surrounded by a bunch of grunts who
    >could not possibly have seen me.

    That was one of my main gripes with the game. They went to a lot of
    trouble to produce a good sniper rifle and the ability to hold your
    breath to take a shot, only to totally negate its use with enemies
    that can home in on you and shoot you with unrealistic accuracy from a
    large distance away.

    nutt wrote:

    > Strange, it always did for me. Maybe a function of difficulty level.
    > The mystery for me was how I could take out a sniper from half a mile
    > away, and a couple of minutes later be surrounded by a bunch of
    > grunts who could not possibly have seen me.

    The miracle of radio?

    --
    Paul

    "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > nutt wrote:
    > >
    > > Strange, it always did for me. Maybe a function of difficulty level.
    > > The mystery for me was how I could take out a sniper from half a mile
    > > away, and a couple of minutes later be surrounded by a bunch of
    > > grunts who could not possibly have seen me.
    >
    > The miracle of radio?

    The guy I killed radioed his mates? That would be a miracle.

    nutt wrote:
    > "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>nutt wrote:
    >>
    >>>Strange, it always did for me. Maybe a function of difficulty level.
    >>>The mystery for me was how I could take out a sniper from half a mile
    >>>away, and a couple of minutes later be surrounded by a bunch of
    >>>grunts who could not possibly have seen me.
    >>
    >>The miracle of radio?
    >

    > The guy I killed radioed his mates? That would be a miracle.

    One merc see's another merc drop dead, while at the same time hears the
    crack from yours rifle, at which point he works out the general
    direction of the shot and uses his RADIO to contact the other mercs to
    hunt you down.

    GFree wrote:
    > One merc see's another merc drop dead, while at the same time hears
    the
    > crack from yours rifle, at which point he works out the general
    > direction of the shot and uses his RADIO to contact the other mercs
    > hunt you down.

    Plus, if you have the auto-balance switched on, the mercs do learn a
    bit about how you work. It's the equivalent of them knowing the terrain
    far better than you and knowing where the weak spots in their defence
    are.

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    > Freedom?
    > No, you have just the same linear gameplay as in HL2 - it is more
    hidden
    > though
    > A) Take some baddies down B) Go to next spot C) Start from A

    You're missing the point about "freedom". It's not freedom to do
    anything you like, but freedom to achieve the next goal in more than
    one way.

    In HL there is only one way forward. Occasionally there are big set
    pieces where you can adopt different tactics (eg. the prison cell
    battle). But you can't avoid the battle by taking a different route.
    Equally the puzzles must be solved to proceed. There is no other route.

    In Far Cry you choose how you want to go forward. Granted there have to
    be some limits to this, if only for technical reasons, but by and large
    you can wander wherever you like and approach your goal in any way you
    want. You can play it HL style by following the obvious road, and
    identifying and dealing with each hazard as you encounter them. Or you
    can play it Thief style and try not be noticed at all. For most people
    I guess it's somewhere in between and the balance between gung-ho and
    stealth is a personal choice made to suit the circumstances of each
    level.

    There are also different options presented more obviously in each
    level. For example, you could work your way around the beach, down the
    road, through the undergrowth or over the hillside. If you can find a
    boat, you can go by water and cut out a lot of land-based hassle and
    arrive armed with a big gun to clear your landing point. I quote two
    examples very early in the game:

    1) You're told to steal a vehicle from a training camp. For starters,
    the camp can be approached from all sides. You can run in firing madly,
    or maybe pick them off one-by one from a distance and then retreat
    until they calm down. Or take out the lookouts and pick the rest off
    from the lookout tower. Or sneak in, distract the guards with a
    carefully thrown stone and steal the jeep. Or blow up the fuel dump on
    the hillside and nick the jeep while they're investigating. Or run in,
    get the jeep and deal with them using the jeep's mounted gun. Or blow
    up some fuel barrels and hope they caught in the explosion. Or any of
    the above, changing tactics as required. I suspect it's possible to
    ignore the jeep and just run off down the road.

    2) From the training camp you must make your way to a wrecked ship
    further down the coast. How to get there? You're pretty much limited to
    the beach in this instance, but your options are still wide open. If
    you've got the jeep, you can drive there. Or you can go on foot. There
    are other jeeps en route, so you can get a new vehicle if yours is
    trashed (assuming you haven't blown the others up as you dealt with the
    soldiers). Or you can take out the guys in the patrol boats and drive
    their armed boat instead. Or mix and match as required.

    HL2 isn't that kind of game. It's much more about set pieces, and the
    price you pay for this is the freedom to reach the next "checkpoint" or
    goal in your fashion. Doesn't make it better or worse, just different.

    Andrew wrote:

    > Nice tech demo though.

    That is exactly what Far Cry is, a nice tech demo but not much more.

    Chadwick wrote:
    > GFree wrote:
    >
    >>One merc see's another merc drop dead, while at the same time hears the
    >>crack from yours rifle, at which point he works out the general
    >>direction of the shot and uses his RADIO to contact the other mercs to
    >>hunt you down.
    >

    > Plus, if you have the auto-balance switched on, the mercs do learn a
    > bit about how you work. It's the equivalent of them knowing the terrain
    > far better than you and knowing where the weak spots in their defence
    > are.

    I never used auto-balance for a full game. I tried it with the demo but
    couldn't determine any specific changes. Besides, I prefer static skill
    levels. If the enemy is difficult to kill, I want them to remain at that
    level of difficulty and instead improve MY skills until I can defeat them.

    > Or you can take out the guys in the patrol boats and drive
    > their armed boat instead.

    When I tried reaching the carrier on foot, I found the best way to steal the
    patrol boats when you don't have an ideal sniping weapon was to let them
    spot me, then run back into the trees out of the boat's rocket range. The
    smeagols and deagols they hire to drive those boats usually park the silly
    thing and chase me on foot. So instead of a rocket-launching boat, I'm just
    facing two regular mercs and a boat free for the taking.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:36:40 GMT, "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

    >> Or you can take out the guys in the patrol boats and drive
    >> their armed boat instead.
    >
    >When I tried reaching the carrier on foot, I found the best way to steal the
    >patrol boats when you don't have an ideal sniping weapon was to let them
    >spot me, then run back into the trees out of the boat's rocket range. The
    >smeagols and deagols they hire to drive those boats usually park the silly
    >thing and chase me on foot. So instead of a rocket-launching boat, I'm just
    >facing two regular mercs and a boat free for the taking.

    Yeah, there's a lot of options to completing a waypoint. For instance,
    I discovered the Hanglider is handy for boarding the Tanker if no boat
    is available.

Engine Games Video Games