how to disable file sharing in xp firewall forever?

Hi!

I have tried for several days now to disable File Sharing in the XP
(Home) firewall settings. All my antispywares tell my i have no
trojans, BUT EVERYTIME i reboot windows, that check mark in the box
that allows filesharing is comes back, and the "allow exceptions" is
checked even though I uncheck that too. I don't need to have this
checked and I don't want it checked.

How do I get rid of File sharing FOREVER? Of course, I am under the
assumption that having this feature is a security risk, and the fact
that I can't seem to get rid of it (not delete it, just keep it
UNchecked), seems suspicious.

Thank you for whatever advice/help you can provide.

Take care
Rich

Malke

rvdparis@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have tried for several days now to disable File Sharing in the XP
> (Home) firewall settings. All my antispywares tell my i have no
> trojans, BUT EVERYTIME i reboot windows, that check mark in the box
> that allows filesharing is comes back, and the "allow exceptions" is
> checked even though I uncheck that too. I don't need to have this
> checked and I don't want it checked.
>
> How do I get rid of File sharing FOREVER? Of course, I am under the
> assumption that having this feature is a security risk, and the fact
> that I can't seem to get rid of it (not delete it, just keep it
> UNchecked), seems suspicious.

1. What antivirus do you have installed? Name, version, and whether the
subscription is current.

2. What "antispywares" have you used? Names and versions. Also whether
you ran them in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Latest beta) installed and Trend
Penicillin (latest)

I had used Hijack this, Spybot, spyware doctor, Trojan remover, among
some others. All recent and updated.

I used online scanners: ANTAvirus, Panda, Trend, Computer Associates,
plus some others. I assume these are updated often (like everyday)

I got rid of Norton...it was too invasive on my system. that was
months and months ago, though.

Malke

rvdparis@gmail.com wrote:

> I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Latest beta) installed and Trend
> Penicillin (latest)
>
> I had used Hijack this, Spybot, spyware doctor, Trojan remover, among
> some others. All recent and updated.
>
> I used online scanners: ANTAvirus, Panda, Trend, Computer Associates,
> plus some others. I assume these are updated often (like everyday)
>
> I got rid of Norton...it was too invasive on my system. that was
> months and months ago, though.

Well, your computer certainly should be clean. Two thoughts about this:

1. MSAS is still beta. It definitely caused problems with the Windows
Firewall, and maybe it is causing your particular problem too. Since I
don't use it, I can't address that but you can post in one of the
groups specifically set up for the program:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

2. Get a third-party firewall such as Sygate, Kerio, or ZoneAlarm. Take
the machine off any networks and disable the Windows Firewall - I'd
stop its service and disable from there since you are having problems
with it. Start>Run>services.msc [enter] and scroll down to the Windows
Firewall. Then install the third-party firewall and configure it the
way you want - with no file/printer sharing. Then you can connect to
the network/Internet again.

Let me know if any of that works.

Malke