  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2005 2:16:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
staring at a wall was choppy!

I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
(all updates), etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )

More about : battlefield choppy map areas

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:53:24 PM

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
>I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far,
>one map seems to
> lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center
> city (open area). Even
> staring at a wall was choppy!
>
> I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high
> and at 1152x864 (75
> hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver
> v5.2 (not upgrading
> the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP
> Professional SP2
> (all updates), etc.
>
> Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

Nice system but 128MB vid may require you to run medium or low textures.
June 23, 2005 11:44:24 PM

DaveL <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote:
> Supposedly if you update the Punkbuster it fixes the lag.

> http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php

Yeah, I got the latest update after midnight (PDT) today.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
June 24, 2005 3:03:10 AM

Probably the worst optimised game ever.

Dan
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:03:11 AM

I have to agree. Nice graphics. Terrible performance

"Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
> Probably the worst optimised game ever.
>
> Dan

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:06:01 AM

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
> lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
> staring at a wall was choppy!

> I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
> hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
> the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
> (all updates), etc.

> Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

Someone suggested to set CMOS' AGP aperture suze to 256 MB if you have
1+ GB of RAM. The bad sides is longer loading, exiting, etc. It works
for me and I can almost play smoothly now. :)

I wonder if this works for other games like DOOM 3. Hmm.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
( )
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:09:42 PM

Daniel Czajko wrote:
>> "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
>>Probably the worst optimised game ever.
> I have to agree. Nice graphics. Terrible performance

I have no experience of full version, but it certainly amazes me how the
demo eats up my 1gig of ram :-o Well it doesn't swap during the game,
but after quitting it takes about 20 seconds to swap before system is
usable again. I think there must be a memory leaking bug somewhere,
because setting textures to LOW didn't seem to have any kind of effect.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:31:58 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
>>I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
>>lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
>>staring at a wall was choppy!
>

>>I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
>>hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
>>the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
>>(all updates), etc.
>

>>Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)
>

> Someone suggested to set CMOS' AGP aperture suze to 256 MB if you have
> 1+ GB of RAM. The bad sides is longer loading, exiting, etc. It works
> for me and I can almost play smoothly now. :)
>
> I wonder if this works for other games like DOOM 3. Hmm.

It's specific for 128 Mb cards. If you later upgrade to a 256 Mb card,
you can lower to AGP aperture size again.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:13:23 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:09:42 +0300, de Moni
<demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote:

>Daniel Czajko wrote:
>>> "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
>>>Probably the worst optimised game ever.
> > I have to agree. Nice graphics. Terrible performance
>
>I have no experience of full version, but it certainly amazes me how the
>demo eats up my 1gig of ram :-o Well it doesn't swap during the game,
>but after quitting it takes about 20 seconds to swap before system is
>usable again. I think there must be a memory leaking bug somewhere,
>because setting textures to LOW didn't seem to have any kind of effect.

No leak. Just lots of data........... No slowdown after
playing for hours.
--

John Lewis

"Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"
June 24, 2005 11:24:01 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
>lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
>staring at a wall was choppy!
>
>I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
>hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
>the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
>(all updates), etc.
>
>Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

Turn your Texture settings down to Medium. 1 GB RAM is not enough for High -
on my system at least, High tries to use 1.2 GB, so I end up in chop city. And
that is with all other windows and programs closed. Turning it down to Medium
cleared up the chop completely (ingame at least. the server browser still locks
up two-thirds of the time).
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:14:42 PM

mvs <mshane@alice.org> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> >I bought BF2 and played both single player and multiplayer briefly. So far, one map seems to
> >lag for me. Strike at Karkand map seems to be very choppy in the center city (open area). Even
> >staring at a wall was choppy!
> >
> >I had to put terrain to low and lighting to medium. Every thing was high and at 1152x864 (75
> >hz). This is with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst driver v5.2 (not upgrading
> >the driver due to MMC issues with audio), Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of RAM, XP Professional SP2
> >(all updates), etc.
> >
> >Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance. :)

> Turn your Texture settings down to Medium. 1 GB RAM is not enough for High -
> on my system at least, High tries to use 1.2 GB, so I end up in chop city. And
> that is with all other windows and programs closed. Turning it down to Medium
> cleared up the chop completely (ingame at least. the server browser still locks
> up two-thirds of the time).

Dang, 1.2 GB? Medium isn't so pretty. :)  I think I need to save up for a
new video card!
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
/\___/\
!