ATI driver v5.5 or Omega 5.4?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 23, 2005 11:13:42 PM

I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best driver
for it.

Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?

Cheers.

Bobby

More about : ati driver omega

June 23, 2005 11:44:29 PM

"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best driver
>for it.
>
> Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

the latest driver is the 5.6 from ATI - its a good driver and boasts some
decent performance boosts in certain games - Im having no trouble with
it and my card ( a 9700). Omega hasnt released his version of the 5.6s yet
but they'll probably be worth a look when theyre out.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:50:56 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:44:29 GMT, "Sleepy"
<bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best driver
>>for it.
>>
>> Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>the latest driver is the 5.6 from ATI - its a good driver and boasts some
>decent performance boosts in certain games - Im having no trouble with
>it and my card ( a 9700). Omega hasnt released his version of the 5.6s yet
>but they'll probably be worth a look when theyre out.

5.6 Omegas are expected in a few days. If you can't wait, use the
older Omegas for now and avoid any "undocumented features" in
switching over later.

--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"
Related resources
June 24, 2005 1:02:35 AM

Bobby wrote:
> I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best driver
> for it.
>
> Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

FWIW My ATI 9800 Pro was real choppy with the Omega drivers. Went back
to the 5.6 Cats and have had no problems.

--
Servo
"Heh, heh! Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy! Heh!" Glen Quagmire, Quohog, R.I.

When I try to install the 5.6 Cats, everything installs OK except that I get
a blank screen (white) when "ATI WDM setup" tries to install.

Do you know what causes this? What is "WDM"?

"Servo" <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts.anddie> wrote in message
> Bobby wrote:
>> I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best
>> driver for it.
>>
>> Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby
>
> FWIW My ATI 9800 Pro was real choppy with the Omega drivers. Went back to
> the 5.6 Cats and have had no problems.
>

> --
> Servo
> "Heh, heh! Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy! Heh!" Glen Quagmire, Quohog, R.I.
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:15:10 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:48:03 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com>
wrote:

>When I try to install the 5.6 Cats, everything installs OK except that I get
>a blank screen (white) when "ATI WDM setup" tries to install.
>
>Do you know what causes this? What is "WDM"?
>
>"Servo" <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts.anddie> wrote in message
>> Bobby wrote:
>>> I have a new ATI gfx card (9800 Pro) and I want to install the best
>>> driver for it.
>>>
>>> Should I install the latest ATI driver (v5.5) or the latest Omega (v5.4)?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>
>> FWIW My ATI 9800 Pro was real choppy with the Omega drivers. Went back to
>> the 5.6 Cats and have had no problems.
>>

>> --
>> Servo
>> "Heh, heh! Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy! Heh!" Glen Quagmire, Quohog, R.I.
>> tservo100 at
>> ameritech dot net
>> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

If your card is a straight 9800 Pro, Bobby, not a VIVO or AIW model,
you don't need to install the WDM drivers. If you have problems
installing the all-in-one driver, try downloading the separate display
driver and Control Panel packages and installing them instead.

In this case, the WDM driver is the driver that handles TV and video
input and capture - not needed if your card is not a capture card.

HTH Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:11:52 AM

My install hung at that point too. I cleaned out the old drivers and tried
again. This time I used msconfig and disabled all the startup programs,
rebooted, and installed normally. This time no hang on the WDM portion of
the install.

Dirk

!