max oc for 9800pro

p4 3.2
abit as7 mobo
1gig pc3200 dual channel mem
win xp pro
antec server case, 2-80mm rear mounted fans no front fan, 400w ps
ati 9800 pro stock cooling
2 dvd drives, 1 120gig hd

Right now running at 415 core and 370 mem, seems to be running fine. I would
really like to run Half-life 2 at 1280x1024 no aa no af but just cant quite
seem to run it smoothly. If anyone out there has a similar system as myself
running at higher clock rates than this and keeping system stable let me
know. Im not trying to kill this card just would like to get the most that I
can out of it. Only had this card three months and already thinking about a
upgrade.

Thanks

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Right now running at 415 core and 370 mem, seems to be running fine. I
> would really like to run Half-life 2 at 1280x1024 no aa no af but just
> cant quite seem to run it smoothly. If anyone out there has a similar
> system as myself running at higher clock rates than this and keeping
> system stable let me know. Im not trying to kill this card just would like
> to get the most that I can out of it. Only had this card three months and
> already thinking about a upgrade.

You're currently in excess of 9800XT clocks with stock cooling, and are
within a few percent the performance limit of the 9800 card. Yes, you can
push it more with better cooling and ramsinks, but don't expect any
miracles. 1280x1024 is beyond the decent performance limit for Doom3 or HL2.
FarCry it's borderline in many areas. This is where the 6600GT and X800/700
cards show their strengths.

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>> Right now running at 415 core and 370 mem, seems to be running fine. I
>> would really like to run Half-life 2 at 1280x1024 no aa no af but just
>> cant quite seem to run it smoothly. If anyone out there has a similar
>> system as myself running at higher clock rates than this and keeping
>> system stable let me know. Im not trying to kill this card just would
>> like to get the most that I can out of it. Only had this card three
>> months and already thinking about a upgrade.
>
> You're currently in excess of 9800XT clocks with stock cooling, and are
> within a few percent the performance limit of the 9800 card. Yes, you can
> push it more with better cooling and ramsinks, but don't expect any
> miracles. 1280x1024 is beyond the decent performance limit for Doom3 or
> HL2. FarCry it's borderline in many areas. This is where the 6600GT and
> X800/700 cards show their strengths.

Right now running at 1024x768 2xaa 2xaf at pretty decent framerates all
settings maxed out and reflect all world. Guess I'm just getting spoiled
game actually looks great just that I have a 22" monitor so higher
resolution would be nice. I will wait till tax return in 2006 for a video
card upgrade.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Right now running at 1024x768 2xaa 2xaf at pretty decent framerates all
> settings maxed out and reflect all world. Guess I'm just getting spoiled
> game actually looks great just that I have a 22" monitor so higher
> resolution would be nice. I will wait till tax return in 2006 for a video
> card upgrade.

I run an ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb at XT clocks. It can run anything at 1024x768
with options on. Like you've probably read many times on this n/g, that's
it's limit on most modern DX9 3D games like the ones you're playing. I run
a 19" LG F900B, so 1024x768 isn't a real issue. Used 9800 Pro's are
consistently getting $125+ on Ebay. So you could easily get one of the
really good 6600GT's for around $190-200 and then flog your 9800 Pro.

>> Right now running at 1024x768 2xaa 2xaf at pretty decent framerates all
>> settings maxed out and reflect all world. Guess I'm just getting spoiled
>> game actually looks great just that I have a 22" monitor so higher
>> resolution would be nice. I will wait till tax return in 2006 for a video
>> card upgrade.
>
> I run an ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb at XT clocks. It can run anything at 1024x768
> with options on. Like you've probably read many times on this n/g, that's
> it's limit on most modern DX9 3D games like the ones you're playing. I
> run a 19" LG F900B, so 1024x768 isn't a real issue. Used 9800 Pro's are
> consistently getting $125+ on Ebay. So you could easily get one of the
> really good 6600GT's for around $190-200 and then flog your 9800 Pro.

I think any upgrade that from the 9800pro would have to have 12-16 pipes and
256bit wide interface with 256meg to just to keep up at this point.