Got a spare Peltier, thinking of trying it out on my 9800 ..

The Peltier is an old unit with heatsink from Swiftech, it's already got the
foam on it. Is it worth it monkeying with this pelt though? Will I need a
separate PSU for it (I've got 430 Watt Enermax PSU right now)? Will it
overclock better than with just plain air?

--
there is no .sig
4 answers Last reply

    Doug wrote:

    > The Peltier is an old unit with heatsink from Swiftech, it's already got
    > the foam on it. Is it worth it monkeying with this pelt though? Will I
    > need a separate PSU for it (I've got 430 Watt Enermax PSU right now)? Will
    > it overclock better than with just plain air?

    Does it have enough power to handle the 9800? It should draw more power
    than the video processor--whether it will run on your existing supply
    depends on how much else you have in the machine. It's also going to
    inject heat into your case, both that from the video board and an equal
    amount from the power it uses extracting heat plus losses in the Pelt
    itself, so make sure your cooling is up to the job.

    If it's got enough power to achieve significant cooling then the board
    should overclock better with it.

    Also, you may want to put a temperature alarm on it--if the Pelt dies, which
    they have been known to do, the board is going to follow it right quick.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    To get higher overclocks, you will need to crank up the voltage a little
    with a resistor mod. The increased voltage is actually the main reason you
    need better cooling.

    There are also other card components that need cooling, like voltage
    regulators, MOSFETs, etc. Crank up the voltage high enough and the solder
    will soften under heat, causing the component to shift on the PCB...

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > The Peltier is an old unit with heatsink from Swiftech, it's already got
    > the foam on it. Is it worth it monkeying with this pelt though? Will I
    > need a separate PSU for it (I've got 430 Watt Enermax PSU right now)? Will
    > it overclock better than with just plain air?

    John, considering the major hassles you've just pointed out would I be able
    to get say 500Mhz core clock out of my 9800 Pro with the Pelt? If I can't
    get >= 500Mhz out of the 9800 Pro w/the pelt it's just not worth it. The
    Pelt was designed to be used with K6-class processors so the heatload it's
    designed to work with sounds about right.

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug wrote:

    > John, considering the major hassles you've just pointed out would I be
    > able to get say 500Mhz core clock out of my 9800 Pro with the Pelt? If I
    > can't get >= 500Mhz out of the 9800 Pro w/the pelt it's just not worth it.
    > The Pelt was designed to be used with K6-class processors so the heatload
    > it's designed to work with sounds about right.

    The rule with overclocking is that you get what you get. The only way to
    tell what speed you'll get is to try it.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)