X700 Blackout problems

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem?
I purchased a genuine ATI Radeon x700Pro 256M (PCIE) in January.

Last week the card started acting up suddenly. I was playing World of
Warcraft for a few hours when the screen suddenly went black. After a
few moments the screen would return only to go black again a few
seconds later. The more I played, the more frequent the problem became.
When I stopped playing the problem continued in windows whenever I
would move a window or something graphical.

If I power off the machine for a few minutes, the problem goes away at
least until I play a 3D game.

I took a look and the GPU doesn't seem to be getting abnormally hot.
But it seems like the card is overly heat sensitive or something.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have already downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers (yesterday) and
followed ATIs recommendations here.
http://www.ati.com/online/customercare/solutions/displayissueshtml

Additionaly, I have not made any recent changes to the system that
would have caused this problem, it just started on its own.

To no avail.

mj

That is really bizarre!
I have a wired MS optical mouse. will try the USB/PS2 converter and see
if there is a difference. I just wonder why this problem came out of
nowhere! Thanks for the idea.

Also, does this only happen with the DVI connector? my LCD supports
either VGA/DVI, will try to switch them and see.

I tried changing the K/B connector.. no go. The only thing that would
work was setting a large fan pointing into my PC case.

So the final result was that I did an RMA on the card. They gave me a
new one (suspiciously with a higher revision #). All works well now. I
think it was having some heat problems. It was overly heat sensitive.

On 19 Jul 2005 09:33:20 -0700, "Mister Jerk" <misterjerk2@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I tried changing the K/B connector.. no go. The only thing that would
>work was setting a large fan pointing into my PC case.
>
>So the final result was that I did an RMA on the card. They gave me a
>new one (suspiciously with a higher revision #). All works well now. I
>think it was having some heat problems. It was overly heat sensitive.

Can you tell me what king of #revision i should be looking for i got
the same problem here in 3d application my screen turn off by it's
self and i cant get it back on until i reboot.

And where is that #revision

Thank you