Which card to buy for kids computer?

I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
games that demand it.

I was looking at the X700 but I am thinking that it might be more card
than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.

Right now I am considering the X600 thinking that it might be enough
card for them right now and quite a bit cheaper than the X700. I
don't think they will get into any games that tax the graphic card for
at least a couple of years, of which then I will upgrade the card to a
more powerful one.

Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.

"Ray Porier" <ray@cloquetmn.net> wrote in message
>I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
> my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
> 3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
> graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
> need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
> games that demand it.
>
> I was looking at the X700 but I am thinking that it might be more card
> than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
> games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
> the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.
>
> Right now I am considering the X600 thinking that it might be enough
> card for them right now and quite a bit cheaper than the X700. I
> don't think they will get into any games that tax the graphic card for
> at least a couple of years, of which then I will upgrade the card to a
> more powerful one.
>
> Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.

Whats your timeframe? If you can wait till the 520's hit then you will
probably see card prices drop some. Even tho they don't go heavy into
graphic games right now a slightly better card will mean longer before you
need to upgrade again.

Actually I am looking to start this project in the next week or two.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:58:56 -0600, "Bratboy"
<DontBother@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote:

>"Ray Porier" <ray@cloquetmn.net> wrote in message
>>I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
>> my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
>> 3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
>> graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
>> need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
>> games that demand it.
>>
>> I was looking at the X700 but I am thinking that it might be more card
>> than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
>> games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
>> the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.
>>
>> Right now I am considering the X600 thinking that it might be enough
>> card for them right now and quite a bit cheaper than the X700. I
>> don't think they will get into any games that tax the graphic card for
>> at least a couple of years, of which then I will upgrade the card to a
>> more powerful one.
>>
>> Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Whats your timeframe? If you can wait till the 520's hit then you will
>probably see card prices drop some. Even tho they don't go heavy into
>graphic games right now a slightly better card will mean longer before you
>need to upgrade again.

Have you checked out newegg.com? They have both x600 and x700 (non-ATI)
cards and the prices really don't seem to be very different. I agree that
you shouldn't go overboard with a card for a kids computer but you also
shouldn't buy anything underpowered because you'll just be throwing your
money away. I would go with the x600 at a minimum and the x700 if I could
get a good value.

Richard