Trying to play the original game.

Hello all!

I've just got a brand-new PC and played Half-Life 2. Isn't it a totally
stonking game, by the way?! No problems with steam either ;-) FYI, I bought
the retail version, not the download.

Just thought I'd try to install and re-play the original game (from the
original CD), but I can't even get it to install!

I have Windows XP2 with SP2. Graphics, Sound and DirectX drivers are all
up-to-date.

The CD does auto-run and I see the Sierra logo on-screen and the little
%-age meter in the lower-right-hand corner but it just sticks at 100% and
then stops. Eventually, after a few minutes, both the box and graphic
disappear and that's it!

Does anyone have any initial suggestions of stuff I could try?

Thank-you for your time.

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    Carl Waring wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I've just got a brand-new PC and played Half-Life 2. Isn't it a totally
    > stonking game, by the way?! No problems with steam either ;-) FYI, I bought
    > the retail version, not the download.
    >
    > Just thought I'd try to install and re-play the original game (from the
    > original CD), but I can't even get it to install!
    >
    > I have Windows XP2 with SP2. Graphics, Sound and DirectX drivers are all
    > up-to-date.
    >
    > The CD does auto-run and I see the Sierra logo on-screen and the little
    > %-age meter in the lower-right-hand corner but it just sticks at 100% and
    > then stops. Eventually, after a few minutes, both the box and graphic
    > disappear and that's it!
    >
    > Does anyone have any initial suggestions of stuff I could try?
    >
    > Thank-you for your time.

    Had exactly the same problem once. Noticed it was a scratched-up CD, so
    I made an image of it, burnt it onto a new CD and it worked.

    The best solution would be to register your original HL CD-Key with
    Steam so you can play it from there. Bit of a download since you won't
    be able to convert your existing HL installation (because you can't
    install it), but after the 400MB-sometime download you'll never need the
    CD again.

    "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote
    > Just thought I'd try to install and re-play the original game (from the
    > original CD), but I can't even get it to install!

    Can't you do it through Steam, click on HL in your games list and register
    it using your CD key? Might be a bit of a download, though.
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

    "David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote
    >> Just thought I'd try to install and re-play the original game (from the
    >> original CD), but I can't even get it to install!
    >
    > Can't you do it through Steam, click on HL in your games list and register
    > it using your CD key? Might be a bit of a download, though.

    Tried that, but I think I'm on my second Steam account and the CD is
    registered to my first!
    Oh well :-(

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:43:48 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Tried that, but I think I'm on my second Steam account and the CD is
    >registered to my first!
    >Oh well :-(

    Log in to your original account and install it from there then.

    Have you checked the CD is clean? Also, try launching the setup.exe file
    manually, see if it makes any difference. Also, I assume you've tried
    restarting your PC, that often fixes any Windows bug.

    As a last resort, you can try copying all the files on the CD to a temp
    folder on your hard disk and running the installer from there, it should
    work.

    Once you've installed it, patch it. You can import it into steam,
    download the official v1110 patch or if you're tight on bandwidth use
    the 10mb custom "Small Patch",
    http://www.civiliantarget.com/test/files/HLsmallpatch1110.exe
    Otherwise it won't work under XP

    Civilian_Target

    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:43:48 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    > <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Tried that, but I think I'm on my second Steam account and the CD is
    >>registered to my first!
    >>Oh well :-(
    >
    > Log in to your original account and install it from there then.

    Well, that was kinda obvious. However, I have had trouble remembering login
    details. However, I've sorted it now!!

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote
    > Well, that was kinda obvious. However, I have had trouble remembering
    login
    > details. However, I've sorted it now!!

    Glad you've sorted it, Carl... Another option to bear in mind, you could
    always buy the original again, it's only a few quid now. Well worth it IMHO.
    --

    > "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote
    >> Well, that was kinda obvious. However, I have had trouble remembering
    > login
    >> details. However, I've sorted it now!!
    >
    > Glad you've sorted it, Carl... Another option to bear in mind, you could
    > always buy the original again, it's only a few quid now. Well worth it
    > IMHO.

    FYI, here's the reply I got from UK support:

    Quote:

    Sorry for the inconvenience, this issue may occur if you've installed,
    and try to start the software from a DVD RW (burner ) drive, in this case ,
    please uninstall and reinstall the software from a normal DVD Rom drive.

    It also sometimes use to be due to an old Drive firmware that doesn't
    recognize properly
    the Copy protection implemented the disc, in this case, please go to the
    website of your drive manufacturer then download and install the latest
    firmware available
    for your specific drive.

    To find out from wich manufactuer is your drive if there is no brand on the
    front, please:
    double click on my computer -> right click on your drive and choose
    properties,
    in the hardware tab you may find the needed information.

    Or please try to start the installation manually. by double clicking on my
    computer and
    on the letter of your drive. And start the installation by double clicking
    on the installer

    However, I was not using a DVD-RW drive. I have only CD-RW and standard
    DVD-ROM drives so I'm guessing maybe paragraph 2 applies. No matter. Sorted
    now.

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    Just out of interest, has anyone played HL:S yet? If so what are the
    "digitally remastered" graphics like? Any screen-shots around?

    Thanks.

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    If ya don't want to play it just for the fun of it don't bother...
    Very little difference.... Someone said the water was better but I
    never got that far....

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:32:30 GMT, "Carl Warping"
    <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Just out of interest, has anyone played HL:S yet? If so what are the
    >"digitally remastered" graphics like? Any screen-shots around?
    >
    >Thanks.

    "Never argue with an idiot, they'll
    drag you down to their level and beat
    you with experience..."

    Cannon Fodder wrote:
    > If ya don't want to play it just for the fun of it don't bother...
    > Very little difference.... Someone said the water was better but I
    > never got that far....

    I did a whole article on this very board about the gameplay differences
    between the original HL and HL:S, and no-one bothered to read it.

    I posted it again on HLFallout.net, and got praise for a well-written
    analysis. Guess it shows how useless Usenet is.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Cannon Fodder wrote:
    >> If ya don't want to play it just for the fun of it don't bother...
    >> Very little difference.... Someone said the water was better but I
    >> never got that far....
    >>

    > I did a whole article on this very board about the gameplay differences
    > between the original HL and HL:S, and no-one bothered to read it.
    >
    > I posted it again on HLFallout.net, and got praise for a well-written
    > analysis. Guess it shows how useless Usenet is.

    Dunno where I was when that happened :-) If it's still on there, I'll find
    it.

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
    > I posted it again on HLFallout.net, and got praise for a well-written
    > analysis. Guess it shows how useless Usenet is.

    Why, because you didn't get praise? Reality check, my man - Life ain't like
    that;)
    Well done for pointing this out, BTW.
    --

    David Firewater wrote:
    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
    >
    >>I posted it again on HLFallout.net, and got praise for a well-written
    >>analysis. Guess it shows how useless Usenet is.
    >

    > Why, because you didn't get praise? Reality check, my man - Life ain't like
    > that;)
    > Well done for pointing this out, BTW.

    Heh. I'm not after praise. I just don't like being ignored.

    But life's like that. I'm too arrogant sometimes. ;)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:13:19 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have Windows XP2 with SP2. Graphics, Sound and DirectX drivers are all
    >up-to-date.

    That's probably your problem. Half-Life was designed to run in Windows
    95. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to get it to run on XP/SP2.

    "David Seiver" <Nonya@bizniss.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:13:19 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    > <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>I have Windows XP2 with SP2. Graphics, Sound and DirectX drivers are all
    >>up-to-date.
    >>

    > That's probably your problem. Half-Life was designed to run in Windows
    > 95. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to get it to run on XP/SP2.

    I have installed the original HL on 4 different XP machines with no problem,
    installing or playing. If he's having problems installing, maybe he's
    trying it as a limited user (no admin privileges).

    David Seiver wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:13:19 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    > <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>I have Windows XP2 with SP2. Graphics, Sound and DirectX drivers are all
    >>up-to-date.
    >>

    > That's probably your problem. Half-Life was designed to run in Windows
    > 95. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to get it to run on XP/SP2.

    Really? My experiences show otherwise.

    Besides, he can't run the installer. That uses a different executable
    from the main Half-Life game, so Half-Life's own compatablity is
    independent from the setup program.

Games Cd Rom Video Games