Third Party Lithium batteries

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 1, 2004 8:58:26 AM

Hello,

New digital camera owner here.

I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.

One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
"blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.

Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?

Thanks
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 12:21:52 PM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 04:58:26 GMT, Beerguy <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>New digital camera owner here.
>
>I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
>batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
>
>One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
>"blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
>batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
>claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
>and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
>
>Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
>there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
>blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
>
>Thanks

I use a non OEM BP-511 for my G-5 and can't tell the difference.
In fact, the only way I know which I'm using is to read on the
battery to see. The non OEM BP-511 is labeled 1250 mAh
whereas the Canon BP-511 is labeled mAh but I see no
noticeable difference.

Jack Mac
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:17:21 PM

"Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> New digital camera owner here.
>
> I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
> batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
>
> One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
> "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
> batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
> claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
> and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
>
> Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
> there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
> blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
>
> Thanks

Did they have batteries blow up in the camera? Or in a charger? Using the
wrong charger may sometimes do things you don't want to happen.
Related resources
June 2, 2004 12:12:43 AM

"Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> New digital camera owner here.
>
> I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
> batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
>
> One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
> "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
> batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
> claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
> and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
>
> Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
> there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
> blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
>
> Thanks

I recently purchased a dRebel which uses the BP-511. I've tried two
different no name non OEM BP-511 replacements from different sources. Both
appear to charge correctly in the Canon charger but refuse to work in my
camera. I don't know if it's a problem with my camera, defective batteries
or there's something in the camera that senses a non OEM battery.

A friend of mine has a Canon Camcorder (not sure of the model#) which uses
the BP-511. I've tried his OEM battery and it works OK. I don't know anyone
that has a non OEM battery to try.

I would like to have an inexpensive spare battery but with my current
experience I am reluctant to purchase another no-name replacement to try.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:35:58 AM

"BOHICA" <wwwebmail_RemoveThis_@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > New digital camera owner here.
> >
> > I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
> > batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
> >
> > One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
> > "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
> > batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
> > claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
> > and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
> >
> > Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
> > there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
> > blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I recently purchased a dRebel which uses the BP-511. I've tried two
> different no name non OEM BP-511 replacements from different sources.
Both
> appear to charge correctly in the Canon charger but refuse to work in my
> camera. I don't know if it's a problem with my camera, defective
batteries
> or there's something in the camera that senses a non OEM battery.
>
> A friend of mine has a Canon Camcorder (not sure of the model#) which
uses
> the BP-511. I've tried his OEM battery and it works OK. I don't know
anyone
> that has a non OEM battery to try.
>
> I would like to have an inexpensive spare battery but with my current
> experience I am reluctant to purchase another no-name replacement to try.

I've been using non OEM BP-511's in my D60 for quite a while without any
problems at all. Can't remember the make, but I got them from 7DayShop at
about a quarter of the price of the Canon ones.
June 2, 2004 9:46:21 AM

> >there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
> >blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> I use a non OEM BP-511 for my G-5 and can't tell the difference.
> In fact, the only way I know which I'm using is to read on the
> battery to see. The non OEM BP-511 is labeled 1250 mAh
> whereas the Canon BP-511 is labeled mAh but I see no
> noticeable difference.
>
> Jack Mac

Good to hear, Jack. I'll look around for one for me...

Eddie
June 4, 2004 12:38:02 AM

I use some from sabahoceanic.com with no probs in my canon 300d and my sony
camcorder
"Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> New digital camera owner here.
>
> I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
> batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
>
> One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
> "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
> batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
> claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
> and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
>
> Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
> there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
> blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 1:29:26 AM

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:38:02 +0000 (UTC), "terry"
<terry.parker@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I use some from sabahoceanic.com with no probs in my canon 300d and my sony
>camcorder
>"Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> New digital camera owner here.
>>
>> I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
>> batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
>>
>> One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
>> "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
>> batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
>> claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
>> and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
>>
>> Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
>> there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
>> blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
>>
>> Thanks

Sorry I haven't been able to stay on top of this thread. Thanks for
all the replies. It seems there is a fair amount of positive
experience with non-oem batteries. I think I will give it a shot.
February 9, 2009 7:17:09 AM

I think the replacement doesn't impact the use of the battery and camera, the important thing is the using and the maintenance of the camera battery
like the some battery blog said

And in my memory, many people use a replacement bp-511 battery very well, different just be saving the money
!