Third Party Lithium batteries

Hello,

New digital camera owner here.

I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.

One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
"blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.

Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about third party lithium batteries

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 04:58:26 GMT, Beerguy <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >New digital camera owner here.
    >
    >I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    >batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    >
    >One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    >"blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    >batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    >claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    >and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    >
    >Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    >there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    >blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    >
    >Thanks

    I use a non OEM BP-511 for my G-5 and can't tell the difference.
    In fact, the only way I know which I'm using is to read on the
    battery to see. The non OEM BP-511 is labeled 1250 mAh
    whereas the Canon BP-511 is labeled mAh but I see no
    noticeable difference.

    Jack Mac

    "Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > New digital camera owner here.
    >
    > I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    > batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    >
    > One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    > "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    > batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    > claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    > and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    >
    > Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    > there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    > blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    >
    > Thanks

    Did they have batteries blow up in the camera? Or in a charger? Using the
    wrong charger may sometimes do things you don't want to happen.

    "Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > New digital camera owner here.
    >
    > I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    > batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    >
    > One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    > "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    > batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    > claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    > and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    >
    > Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    > there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    > blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    >
    > Thanks

    I recently purchased a dRebel which uses the BP-511. I've tried two
    different no name non OEM BP-511 replacements from different sources. Both
    appear to charge correctly in the Canon charger but refuse to work in my
    camera. I don't know if it's a problem with my camera, defective batteries
    or there's something in the camera that senses a non OEM battery.

    A friend of mine has a Canon Camcorder (not sure of the model#) which uses
    the BP-511. I've tried his OEM battery and it works OK. I don't know anyone
    that has a non OEM battery to try.

    I would like to have an inexpensive spare battery but with my current
    experience I am reluctant to purchase another no-name replacement to try.

    "BOHICA" <wwwebmail_RemoveThis_@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > New digital camera owner here.
    > >
    > > I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    > > batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    > >
    > > One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    > > "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    > > batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    > > claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    > > and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    > >
    > > Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    > > there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    > > blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I recently purchased a dRebel which uses the BP-511. I've tried two
    > different no name non OEM BP-511 replacements from different sources.
    Both
    > appear to charge correctly in the Canon charger but refuse to work in my
    > camera. I don't know if it's a problem with my camera, defective
    batteries
    > or there's something in the camera that senses a non OEM battery.
    >
    > A friend of mine has a Canon Camcorder (not sure of the model#) which
    uses
    > the BP-511. I've tried his OEM battery and it works OK. I don't know
    anyone
    > that has a non OEM battery to try.
    >
    > I would like to have an inexpensive spare battery but with my current
    > experience I am reluctant to purchase another no-name replacement to try.

    I've been using non OEM BP-511's in my D60 for quite a while without any
    problems at all. Can't remember the make, but I got them from 7DayShop at
    about a quarter of the price of the Canon ones.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    > >there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    > >blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > I use a non OEM BP-511 for my G-5 and can't tell the difference.
    > In fact, the only way I know which I'm using is to read on the
    > battery to see. The non OEM BP-511 is labeled 1250 mAh
    > whereas the Canon BP-511 is labeled mAh but I see no
    > noticeable difference.
    >
    > Jack Mac

    Good to hear, Jack. I'll look around for one for me...

    Eddie
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I use some from sabahoceanic.com with no probs in my canon 300d and my sony
    camcorder
    "Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > New digital camera owner here.
    >
    > I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    > batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    >
    > One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    > "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    > batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    > claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    > and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    >
    > Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    > there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    > blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    >
    > Thanks
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:38:02 +0000 (UTC), "terry"
    <terry.parker@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I use some from sabahoceanic.com with no probs in my canon 300d and my sony
    >camcorder
    >"Beerguy" <Stein@morebeer.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> New digital camera owner here.
    >>
    >> I have heard two different sides to purchasing non OEM lithium
    >> batteries--specifically, Canon BP-511.
    >>
    >> One camp says to always buy genuine canon batteries as they do not
    >> "blow up"; while the camp has never had a problem with third party
    >> batteries and recommends them without reservation. In fact, they
    >> claim third party batteries last longer, can withstand more charges,
    >> and cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than Canon OEM BP-511.
    >>
    >> Obviously, I do not want to risk a battery "blowing up" my G2. Are
    >> there any insights here? Are there real problems with batteries
    >> blowing up? If so, under what circumstances?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Sorry I haven't been able to stay on top of this thread. Thanks for
    all the replies. It seems there is a fair amount of positive
    experience with non-oem batteries. I think I will give it a shot.
  8. I think the replacement doesn't impact the use of the battery and camera, the important thing is the using and the maintenance of the camera battery
    like the some battery blog said

    And in my memory, many people use a replacement bp-511 battery very well, different just be saving the money

Cameras Canon OEM Peripherals