PLEASE can someone help me. I had Norton System Works put on my computer
last year and everything was going fine. Then the subscription ran out a few
weeks ago and I could no longer update my virus definitions. Earlier today I
noticed that Norton were offering a free 90 day trial for Norton Security
2005 (I have Norton 2002). I thought I would give it a go and see how things
went. I went ahead and downloaded and installed it, then halfway through it
hit a problem. So it seems like now my old Norton Anti-Virus has disappeared
and when I try to open the new one from my desktop it is giving me an error
message and loads of instructions to do things which I have not got a clue
about. I still have my Norton icon with the Utilities, Systemworks and one
button thingy but they do not seem to be able to operate. Please can someone
just tell me how to get back to how things were with my old Norton Security
and do away with this new one that I have tried and failed miserably to
install. Cheers. Thanks and here's hoping.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

And the tech support folks at Norton have said what?

> And the tech support folks at Norton have said what?

"support at Norton" --- isn't that like Jumbo Shrimp or something ???
Last time I tried to deal with them they insisted you couldn't do what
their web page said to do (that was after I finally managed to get
a response (and yes, I included all the details,serial numbers etc ))

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Obviously I was being facetious when I asked the question.

Usually I tell folks to remove Norton.

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> And the tech support folks at Norton have said what?
>>

> "support at Norton" --- isn't that like Jumbo Shrimp or something ???
> Last time I tried to deal with them they insisted you couldn't do what
> their web page said to do (that was after I finally managed to get
> a response (and yes, I included all the details,serial numbers etc ))

map

Mike Fields wrote:
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> And the tech support folks at Norton have said what?
>>

> "support at Norton" --- isn't that like Jumbo Shrimp or something ???
> Last time I tried to deal with them they insisted you couldn't do what
> their web page said to do (that was after I finally managed to get
> a response (and yes, I included all the details,serial numbers etc ))

I sent Symantec Support an e/mail 18 months ago,I have given up waiting for
a reply.
On the other hand eset support for my NOD32 anti-virus responded within 10
minutes of when I sent them a SOS for help, it included the fix I needed.

--
Mike Pawlak

map

cathy4 wrote:
> PLEASE can someone help me. I had Norton System Works put on my
> computer last year and everything was going fine. Then the
> subscription ran out a few weeks ago and I could no longer update my
> virus definitions. Earlier today I noticed that Norton were offering
> a free 90 day trial for Norton Security 2005 (I have Norton 2002). I
> thought I would give it a go and see how things went. I went ahead
> and downloaded and installed it, then halfway through it hit a
> problem. So it seems like now my old Norton Anti-Virus has
> disappeared and when I try to open the new one from my desktop it is
> giving me an error message and loads of instructions to do things
> which I have not got a clue about. I still have my Norton icon with
> the Utilities, Systemworks and one button thingy but they do not seem
> to be able to operate. Please can someone just tell me how to get
> back to how things were with my old Norton Security and do away with
> this new one that I have tried and failed miserably to install.
> Cheers. Thanks and here's hoping.

Norton 2002 is now outdated and no longer supported by Symantec, the
scanning engine for the anti-virus is getting old and somewhat useless
(current difinitions does not matter,it's the way that it scans that is
outdated).
If it was my computer I would uninstall system works and use another
program,ie Anti-Virus and Firewall the rest of system works is unnesesary
you don't need it,it's just bells and whistles.

http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php
http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm

--
Mike Pawlak

Cathy

Go to the Symantec website and look for the tool to remove all that is
Norton.. after having found and successfully used the tool, repeat 100 times
"I will never install another Norton Product EVER"..

Look online for a free alternative, until such time as you decide what other
product you want to replace Norton..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cathy4" <cathy4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PLEASE can someone help me. I had Norton System Works put on my computer
> few
> weeks ago and I could no longer update my virus definitions. Earlier
> today I
> noticed that Norton were offering a free 90 day trial for Norton Security
> 2005 (I have Norton 2002). I thought I would give it a go and see how
> things
> went. I went ahead and downloaded and installed it, then halfway through
> it
> hit a problem. So it seems like now my old Norton Anti-Virus has
> disappeared
> and when I try to open the new one from my desktop it is giving me an
> error
> message and loads of instructions to do things which I have not got a clue
> about. I still have my Norton icon with the Utilities, Systemworks and
> one
> button thingy but they do not seem to be able to operate. Please can
> someone
> just tell me how to get back to how things were with my old Norton
> Security
> and do away with this new one that I have tried and failed miserably to
> install. Cheers. Thanks and here's hoping.

Mike;

In general terms I agree with most of your responses, but I must take
exception with this response. On a properly configured and maintained
computer, Norton products have little impact on system performance or
resources. I have been working with computers for many years, and
experience has shown that Norton products are far superior to any
competitive products on the market. For my own personal computers, I only
trust NAV and NPF. I will grant that on a system that is already resource
challenged, then Norton can cause a noticeable slowdown....but again this is
attributable to other than the Norton product. I respect that your
experience may have been less than satisfactory, but there are literally
hundreds of thousands of computers throughout the world that are running
Norton products; much more so than any of the competitive products. Blanket
comments such as yours provide no useful information, and since you have the
MVP shingle, some will assume that you are correct.
I am not asking you to change your mind...I am just asking that you do not
make such broad ranging and baseless claims. There is only one product that
should never be installed on any machine...any version of AOL.

Bobby

> Cathy
>
> Go to the Symantec website and look for the tool to remove all that is
> Norton.. after having found and successfully used the tool, repeat 100
> times "I will never install another Norton Product EVER"..
>
> Look online for a free alternative, until such time as you decide what
> other product you want to replace Norton..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "cathy4" <cathy4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> PLEASE can someone help me. I had Norton System Works put on my computer
>> few
>> weeks ago and I could no longer update my virus definitions. Earlier
>> today I
>> noticed that Norton were offering a free 90 day trial for Norton Security
>> 2005 (I have Norton 2002). I thought I would give it a go and see how
>> things
>> went. I went ahead and downloaded and installed it, then halfway through
>> it
>> hit a problem. So it seems like now my old Norton Anti-Virus has
>> disappeared
>> and when I try to open the new one from my desktop it is giving me an
>> error
>> message and loads of instructions to do things which I have not got a
>> clue
>> about. I still have my Norton icon with the Utilities, Systemworks and
>> one
>> button thingy but they do not seem to be able to operate. Please can
>> someone
>> just tell me how to get back to how things were with my old Norton
>> Security
>> and do away with this new one that I have tried and failed miserably to
>> install. Cheers. Thanks and here's hoping.

Regardless of signatures, I will not endorse a product or product line that
I consider to be flawed or less useful than it claims.. my experience with
Norton products has not been a happy one.. at each new version, I have taken
the time to try them out, and I still detest them..

I was also part of a 'test' for Norton Personal Firewall way back, which
IMHO was rigged to all hell such that we would provide positive feedback
about it.. I do not, will not, and never have condoned this kind of thing..

The funny thing is this.. people that tell me about a virus that they have
had nearly always were running Norton AV, and yet they steadfastly maintain
that Norton is the best.. I just can't see it.. also, look at how many come
into these newsgroups with Norton problems of one sort or another..

Sorry, but I remain steadfast on this.. I am well aware that some have no
problems with Norton products, and that others have problems with what I
use, but that is life..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> > Norton products; much more so than any of the competitive products.
> > Blanket comments such as yours provide no useful information, and since
> > you have the MVP shingle, some will assume that you are correct.
> > I am not asking you to change your mind...I am just asking that you do not
> > make such broad ranging and baseless claims. There is only one product
> > that should never be installed on any machine...any version of AOL.
> >

> > Bobby
> >
> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> Cathy
> >>
> >> Go to the Symantec website and look for the tool to remove all that is
> >> Norton.. after having found and successfully used the tool, repeat 100
> >> times "I will never install another Norton Product EVER"..
> >>
> >> Look online for a free alternative, until such time as you decide what
> >> other product you want to replace Norton..

Hi Mike, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read over my
problem and give me your honest opinion. To be perfectly honest, when my
friend installed Norton over a year ago he swore by it, and being totally new
to computers I took him at his word. Anyway, like you said, further down the
line and major problems are cropping up all over the place. Anyway, I had
already bought a McAfee Suite with Anti-Virus, Firewall and all the usual
rubbish that goes with these things. I did like you said and uninstalled all
Norton material on the computer and have now got McAfee running. It is only
a home computer mainly for my two young daughters and is probably on it's
last legs anyway, so I don't want to spend any further ridiculous amounts of
money for something that I don't really have to. So cheers for all your help
and I admire your honesty and for sticking to your guns. You sound to me like
you know what your talking about. Thanks again. Cathy.

Cathy

That is what I use.. way to go.. :)

--
Mike Hall