ati2dvag + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
June 30, 2005 3:25:08 PM

ati2dvag.dll + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700

This is just impossible. My customers Vaio VGN-S1XP has XP Pro, SP2, and
just absolutely will not start with video drivers.

I have tried drivers from omegadrivers.net, acer (ferrari 3400), IBM, sony
(nothing newer than those supplied on CD there).. et cetera.

One possible solution I have read is to replace the chipset specific AGP
driver with a generic PCI-PCI bridge driver. This doesn't work either.

I have tried the following:

Clean install (SP2 slipstreamed.. I don't have anything older than SP2 to
run from), same problem.

Removed drivers with Catalyst-cleaner thing from ATI, removed ati*.* from
\windows , \windows\system32, and \windows\system32\drivers. Moved oem*.*
from \windows\inf.. still the same.

Since the PCI-AGP bridge has been suspected, I installed the latest Intel
Inf update, still no joy.

Have changed the system driver/HAL from ACPI to "Standard PC" .. all
hardware re-detected. still no joy.

The BIOS on this machine has basically NO options other than LCD-expansion
and boot order, so there's nothing to be done in there.

Can anybody help? Since it's SP2, Direct-X 9.0c is pre-installed.

I'm at my wits end.

any help wold be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Carl
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 30, 2005 3:40:23 PM

"carl0s" <carl@noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid> wrote in message
news:D a0ha4$g2n$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> ati2dvag.dll + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700
>
> This is just impossible. My customers Vaio VGN-S1XP has XP Pro, SP2, and
> just absolutely will not start with video drivers.
>
> I have tried drivers from omegadrivers.net, acer (ferrari 3400), IBM, sony
> (nothing newer than those supplied on CD there).. et cetera.
>
> One possible solution I have read is to replace the chipset specific AGP
> driver with a generic PCI-PCI bridge driver. This doesn't work either.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> Clean install (SP2 slipstreamed.. I don't have anything older than SP2 to
> run from), same problem.
>
> Removed drivers with Catalyst-cleaner thing from ATI, removed ati*.* from
> \windows , \windows\system32, and \windows\system32\drivers. Moved oem*.*
> from \windows\inf.. still the same.
>
> Since the PCI-AGP bridge has been suspected, I installed the latest Intel
> Inf update, still no joy.
>
> Have changed the system driver/HAL from ACPI to "Standard PC" .. all
> hardware re-detected. still no joy.
>
> The BIOS on this machine has basically NO options other than LCD-expansion
> and boot order, so there's nothing to be done in there.
>
> Can anybody help? Since it's SP2, Direct-X 9.0c is pre-installed.
>
> I'm at my wits end.
>
> any help wold be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Carl

Forgot to mention that I have the latest BIOS on this machine, although I'm
getting the impression that Sony don't do much in terms of continuing
updates for machines once they're released.
I am most certain this is not a hardware fault since a lot of people have
reported the problem since SP2, and there are no display abnormalities when
running with vga/vgasave driver.
July 2, 2005 2:17:25 AM

carl0s wrote:
> "carl0s" <carl@noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D a0ha4$g2n$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
>
>>ati2dvag.dll + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700
>>
>>This is just impossible. My customers Vaio VGN-S1XP has XP Pro, SP2, and
>>just absolutely will not start with video drivers.
>>
>>I have tried drivers from omegadrivers.net, acer (ferrari 3400), IBM, sony
>>(nothing newer than those supplied on CD there).. et cetera.
>>
>>One possible solution I have read is to replace the chipset specific AGP
>>driver with a generic PCI-PCI bridge driver. This doesn't work either.
>>
>>I have tried the following:
>>
>>Clean install (SP2 slipstreamed.. I don't have anything older than SP2 to
>>run from), same problem.
>>
>>Removed drivers with Catalyst-cleaner thing from ATI, removed ati*.* from
>>\windows , \windows\system32, and \windows\system32\drivers. Moved oem*.*
>>from \windows\inf.. still the same.
>>
>>Since the PCI-AGP bridge has been suspected, I installed the latest Intel
>>Inf update, still no joy.
>>
>>Have changed the system driver/HAL from ACPI to "Standard PC" .. all
>>hardware re-detected. still no joy.
>>
>>The BIOS on this machine has basically NO options other than LCD-expansion
>>and boot order, so there's nothing to be done in there.
>>
>>Can anybody help? Since it's SP2, Direct-X 9.0c is pre-installed.
>>
>>I'm at my wits end.
>>
>>any help wold be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>thanks,
>>Carl
>

> Forgot to mention that I have the latest BIOS on this machine, although I'm
> getting the impression that Sony don't do much in terms of continuing
> updates for machines once they're released.
> I am most certain this is not a hardware fault since a lot of people have
> reported the problem since SP2, and there are no display abnormalities when
> running with vga/vgasave driver.

Which Catalyst versions have you tried? Have you tried manually
updating the device from VGA to a Catalyst, using Upgrade Driver?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 01/07/2005
Tested on: 01/07/2005 22:17:25
a b \ Driver
July 3, 2005 3:06:39 PM

"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
> carl0s wrote:
>> "carl0s" <carl@noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:D a0ha4$g2n$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
>>
>>>ati2dvag.dll + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700
>>>
>>>This is just impossible. My customers Vaio VGN-S1XP has XP Pro, SP2, and
>>>just absolutely will not start with video drivers.
>>>
>>>I have tried drivers from omegadrivers.net, acer (ferrari 3400), IBM,
>>>sony (nothing newer than those supplied on CD there).. et cetera.
>>>
>>>One possible solution I have read is to replace the chipset specific AGP
>>>driver with a generic PCI-PCI bridge driver. This doesn't work either.
>>>
>>>I have tried the following:
>>>
>>>Clean install (SP2 slipstreamed.. I don't have anything older than SP2 to
>>>run from), same problem.
>>>
>>>Removed drivers with Catalyst-cleaner thing from ATI, removed ati*.* from
>>>\windows , \windows\system32, and \windows\system32\drivers. Moved oem*.*
>>>from \windows\inf.. still the same.
>>>
>>>Since the PCI-AGP bridge has been suspected, I installed the latest Intel
>>>Inf update, still no joy.
>>>
>>>Have changed the system driver/HAL from ACPI to "Standard PC" .. all
>>>hardware re-detected. still no joy.
>>>
>>>The BIOS on this machine has basically NO options other than
>>>LCD-expansion and boot order, so there's nothing to be done in there.
>>>
>>>Can anybody help? Since it's SP2, Direct-X 9.0c is pre-installed.
>>>
>>>I'm at my wits end.
>>>
>>>any help wold be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>Carl
>>

>> Forgot to mention that I have the latest BIOS on this machine, although
>> I'm getting the impression that Sony don't do much in terms of continuing
>> updates for machines once they're released.
>> I am most certain this is not a hardware fault since a lot of people have
>> reported the problem since SP2, and there are no display abnormalities
>> when running with vga/vgasave driver.
> Which Catalyst versions have you tried? Have you tried manually updating
> the device from VGA to a Catalyst, using Upgrade Driver?

Thanks for the reply Ian.
For anybody googling this in future, I have decided this was a (strange)
hardware problem.
The customers partner had an identical machine which had SP2 on it, so I
went over there and tried his hard drive in this machine and it showed the
same problem. I then replaced the customers HD and it worked ?!?
Then it crashed.
I found it was more likely to run for a short while if the machine was
running on battery instead of AC, so I tried some headsink compound on the
CPU to no avail.
anyway it looks like the machine is faulty. Just strange how it only has
this very specific problem.

I had tried all variances of Mobility-Catalyst drivers I could find to no
avail.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 3, 2005 3:38:20 PM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 11:06:39 +0100, "carl0s"
<carl@noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid> wrote:

>"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> carl0s wrote:
>>> "carl0s" <carl@noitsnotcss-networks.commy.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:D a0ha4$g2n$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...

>>> Forgot to mention that I have the latest BIOS on this machine, although
>>> I'm getting the impression that Sony don't do much in terms of continuing
>>> updates for machines once they're released.
>>> I am most certain this is not a hardware fault since a lot of people have
>>> reported the problem since SP2, and there are no display abnormalities
>>> when running with vga/vgasave driver.
>> Which Catalyst versions have you tried? Have you tried manually updating
>> the device from VGA to a Catalyst, using Upgrade Driver?
>
>Thanks for the reply Ian.
>For anybody googling this in future, I have decided this was a (strange)
>hardware problem.
>The customers partner had an identical machine which had SP2 on it, so I
>went over there and tried his hard drive in this machine and it showed the
>same problem. I then replaced the customers HD and it worked ?!?
>Then it crashed.
>I found it was more likely to run for a short while if the machine was
>running on battery instead of AC, so I tried some headsink compound on the
>CPU to no avail.
>anyway it looks like the machine is faulty. Just strange how it only has
>this very specific problem.
>
>I had tried all variances of Mobility-Catalyst drivers I could find to no
>avail.

AIR some time back the 'Infinite Loop' problem was linked to
inadequate PSUs. This was before the current crop of cards; probably
even before any 9xxx cards came out. I don't recall for sure, as it's
not a problem I ever had.

If changing your power supply from AC to battery makes a difference,
though, it seems to me this is something you should check out.

Just my tuppence worth, Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
!