Window 7

thunder_69

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I have Windows XP installed on one hard drive. I disconnected it and installed a second hard drive. Installed windows 7 Home Premium upgrade on it ,clean install ,activated etc... Now how can I set up the 2 hard drives so I can select either one to boot up. thanks

Solution
Here is a step by step way to get a dual bot with 2 hard drives having Win XP one the first and Win 7 on the second. You may need to reinstall Win 7 if you unhooked the first hard drive when installing Win 7. By installing it the way you did, the computer will see 2 C drives instead of a separate C and D drive.

1. Make sure both hard drives are hooked up.

2. Boot from the Win 7 installer disc.

3. Click on "Install Now"

4. Select the Hard Drive you want Win 7 on. If that disc is already has Win 7 on it, go to disc options and reformat it.

5. Finish the Win 7 installation.

6. Reboot and select your OS.

TheViper

Distinguished
Here is a step by step way to get a dual bot with 2 hard drives having Win XP one the first and Win 7 on the second. You may need to reinstall Win 7 if you unhooked the first hard drive when installing Win 7. By installing it the way you did, the computer will see 2 C drives instead of a separate C and D drive.

1. Make sure both hard drives are hooked up.

2. Boot from the Win 7 installer disc.

3. Click on "Install Now"

4. Select the Hard Drive you want Win 7 on. If that disc is already has Win 7 on it, go to disc options and reformat it.

5. Finish the Win 7 installation.

6. Reboot and select your OS.

Solution