Sign in with
Your question

Should we allow the rich to get richer?

Last response: in News & Leisure
April 16, 2012 8:06:28 PM

Thats the question today isnt it, at least in one corner of thought.
Should we allow the rich to create a unfair, rediculous gap and expand it even further?

More about : rich richer

April 16, 2012 8:42:33 PM

Considering THE World's debt is along the line of 50 quadrillion+ dollars, the only option "THE RICH" have is to have a war to wipe out that debt.

Just like they have done for thousands of years.
April 16, 2012 9:15:39 PM

Scientifically define rich...
Related resources
April 16, 2012 9:24:24 PM

dogman_1234 said:
Scientifically define rich...

The people that make Bill Gates look poor. The people whom we don't even know their names. The reptilians from the Pleiades system made up to look like humans?
April 16, 2012 9:29:06 PM

You mean those who make 644,705 USD every year and pay 20.6% in taxes?
April 16, 2012 9:31:53 PM

dogman_1234 said:
You mean those who make 644,705 USD every year and pay 20.6% in taxes?

Is that adjusted earned income tax, or adjusted capital gains?
April 16, 2012 9:34:13 PM

I report it to be income.
April 25, 2012 12:03:01 AM

Should the rich be allowed to get richer?
If it is done legally and properly then yes. Who are we to say that the uber rich shouldn't be allowed to get richer? Its a free country.
April 25, 2012 12:21:53 AM

I rather support the ability for people to become rich than "the rich" themselves. And that ability is rapidly being destroyed in America today.
April 25, 2012 2:09:05 AM

You give me a million dollars to start. I'll earn an average 14% return, or $140,000. Or give me $100,000 and I'll earn 14%, or $14,000 a year. Either way, it is an exponential growth in income. The rich will always get richer because they invest more.

Ben Franklin was a fan of Compound Interest for that simple reason. Every 50 years his single month of income pays out to Philadephia and Boston (Boston, I think) X amount. Last time it paid out was like $25 million dollars within the last 10 years.. all because he had invested $2000 sterling pounds 200 years ago or something.

Yeah, those who bet more will gain more. They also will lose more, except the market is on the winning side historically.
April 25, 2012 2:13:12 AM

Thanx for that link
April 25, 2012 2:52:02 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Thats the question today isnt it, at least in one corner of thought.
Should we allow the rich to create a unfair, rediculous gap and expand it even further?
The rich only care about themselves and no one else. They are making money through these bad financial times we are living in.Warren B could care less about the middle class or poor today. he cares if his company is making money and nothing else.
April 25, 2012 6:02:35 AM

Ask a labor worker what he think about said rich. Now, ask a lager executive about what he thinks of the guys who are said rich. Both will tell you the same: They want to be with the rich. Money is like a drug, you constantly want more of it, and you are willing to do anything to get it.

Why do you think people play the lotto? The idea of collecting a 1,000,000% return is amazing!

Being rich is a subjective term describing those who are above a certain percent, weather it be the 99, 50, 20, 10, or 1 percent.

We see others who have great capital, but the capital shows merit to the amount of work they have *hopefully* placed upon themselves.
April 25, 2012 3:18:08 PM

Unless that Labor Worker's boss is making $300k a year.. Oh wait, did I just call out the UAW Union Boss's salary? Oops.. he's not rich.. yet he claims his workers base pay is about $32k a year. Riiiight.
April 25, 2012 3:24:19 PM

I'm like totally conflicted ...

/turns on electic heated back massaging ergochair while pondering this discussion ... texts the maid to bring me another capo and a croissant ... with strawberry jam.
April 25, 2012 3:25:18 PM

riser said:
Unless that Labor Worker's boss is making $300k a year.. Oh wait, did I just call out the UAW Union Boss's salary? Oops.. he's not rich.. yet he claims his workers base pay is about $32k a year. Riiiight.

Jeez I struggle to make half that ...
April 25, 2012 6:47:28 PM

Reynod said:
Jeez I struggle to make half that ...

$150k? You POS over paid lazy noob. :)  You're rich and don't deserve that money... where does his money come from? Union dues. How many employees does it require for him to make that salary alone?

If union dues at $150 a month, it requires 154 people working for him to make his salary. That's just one guy.
April 25, 2012 7:04:04 PM

riser said:

I was referring to manual labor workers.
April 25, 2012 7:39:44 PM

musical marv said:
The rich only care about themselves and no one else. They are making money through these bad financial times we are living in.Warren B could care less about the middle class or poor today. he cares if his company is making money and nothing else.

Why should they care about anybody else?...don't act like the poor care about anything either. They only care when something involves money also. The rich are the ones who were smart enough to use the system to their advantage which is what the free market economy and capitalism is designed to do and has historically worked perfectly.

Also, don't condemn them for making money in bad financial times. You are the ones who make the rich, rich. You buy the product, you watch the show, you watch the commercial, you talk about them...etc.

In addition, Warren Buffet does care, because if he didn't he wouldn't be one of the nations biggest advocates for tax increases on the rich.
April 25, 2012 7:47:10 PM

musical marv said:

Marv, I'm rich. I'm saving money, making money in the market and all. My money is working for me. I worked hard to save my money and now my money is working hard for me. I care about the poor. That's why I don't give them handouts. I try to help them, I volunteer time to assist and educate. Though, of the homeless I haven't met one who actually wanted to do something to improve their situation.

Me? I took control and I took care of myself. Now that I'm able to fend for myself, I can really help people close to me. I'm rich and I care. I'm worthless if I can't fend for myself first before I try helping someone else. One I'm secure, then I can start helping other people. This is referred to as Maslow's Hierchary. Self Actualization is the top, once you achieve that level you are your own limit.

I know plenty of wealthy people who offer HELP to the less fortunate. I said HELP.. not hand outs. Struggling to pay your bills? Let's create a budget and review your spending habits and go from there. Maybe you don't need financial help but better spending habits. The vast majority of people are poor because they spend more than they make. The other are rich because they spend less than they earn.
April 26, 2012 3:21:27 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Ask a labor worker what he think about said rich. Now, ask a lager executive about what he thinks of the guys who are said rich. Both will tell you the same: They want to be with the rich. Money is like a drug, you constantly want more of it, and you are willing to do anything to get it.

Why do you think people play the lotto? The idea of collecting a 1,000,000% return is amazing!

Being rich is a subjective term describing those who are above a certain percent, weather it be the 99, 50, 20, 10, or 1 percent.

We see others who have great capital, but the capital shows merit to the amount of work they have *hopefully* placed upon themselves.
Money is the root of all evil which is true from the Bible to today. Greed commands all.
April 26, 2012 3:24:58 AM

riser said:
Marv, I'm rich. I'm saving money, making money in the market and all. My money is working for me. I worked hard to save my money and now my money is working hard for me. I care about the poor. That's why I don't give them handouts. I try to help them, I volunteer time to assist and educate. Though, of the homeless I haven't met one who actually wanted to do something to improve their situation.

Me? I took control and I took care of myself. Now that I'm able to fend for myself, I can really help people close to me. I'm rich and I care. I'm worthless if I can't fend for myself first before I try helping someone else. One I'm secure, then I can start helping other people. This is referred to as Maslow's Hierchary. Self Actualization is the top, once you achieve that level you are your own limit.

I know plenty of wealthy people who offer HELP to the less fortunate. I said HELP.. not hand outs. Struggling to pay your bills? Let's create a budget and review your spending habits and go from there. Maybe you don't need financial help but better spending habits. The vast majority of people are poor because they spend more than they make. The other are rich because they spend less than they earn.
Also some rich inherit their money like Romney, JFK and his brothers, and many more. You are a very unique person who cares about the less unfortunate than do most rich people.I praise you for this.
April 26, 2012 3:50:33 AM

"Less unfortunate"

Your double-negative of the day folks.
April 26, 2012 5:51:44 AM

Didnt Romney give his money away?
April 26, 2012 12:36:34 PM

Just to correct marv, Romney inherited some stocks from his father's company. It was a good sum but by no means a fortune, and helped put him through school and start his own business. He did not inherit a fortune from his father, he worked for it.
April 26, 2012 12:51:34 PM

musical marv said:
Also some rich inherit their money like Romney, JFK and his brothers, and many more. You are a very unique person who cares about the less unfortunate than do most rich people.I praise you for this.

I'm not Mormon but I'm somewhat familiar with their faith. Go to a service or two of theirs and stick around. They'll offer you financial help or any help you need. They won't give you hand outs, but they will help you if you're willing to be helped. Romney, to me, has shown that plenty of times and I really believe he will put things into play to give the American people a chance to help themselves. Though, he will fail at it because the majority will only want hand outs, not help.
April 26, 2012 3:02:28 PM

Your well off because nobody loves you hence you don't need to spend any money past your internet account and the trailer you live in with your mom.

Lets get real riser ... you sold your granny to the knacker yard for glue.

I checked your IP and its registered to St Vinny De Pail so you probably hacked them for free wifi.

I daw you last week getting burgers out of the McDonalds skip bin out the back.

I saw your prison hooch recipe on the tube.

That was you spamming the forums with that fake Nigerian Princess ransom scam.

I agreed to be your parole officer after the last pyramid scheme you cooked up with those mums at the daycare centre you infiltrated with a fake baby in your pram ... but your letting me down.

Did you take those photos of Mitt Romney and the donkey?

April 26, 2012 7:05:25 PM

musical marv said:
Money is the root of all evil which is true from the Bible to today. Greed commands all.

Maybe it is true, and in that case I ought to call America's entire society of welfare earners as greedy and evil. Maybe they ought to be tossed in jail?

In modern day society, you need money to live a healthy and happy life. As much as you may disagree with me valiantly due to some religious or implanted idea from childhood, its true. To make money, you need an education and effort.

Have you ever heard people saying, "Don't feed the animals at the zoo, because then they will depend to be fed by humans instead of hunting for themselves and die"? Same analogy works for humans. If you keep giving money to the poor, they'll be more dependent as generations pass by. Liberals have a very difficult time grasping this concept and have been systematically destroying the United States for decades now. Perhaps because most liberals are the ones receiving handouts, and the ones in congress need to serve the poor to keep getting re-elected. Either way, if it doesn't stop soon, REAL soon, then there will be even worse issues.
April 26, 2012 10:29:27 PM

Reynod said:
Your well off because nobody loves you hence you don't need to spend any money past your internet account and the trailer you live in with your mom.

Lets get real riser ... you sold your granny to the knacker yard for glue.

I checked your IP and its registered to St Vinny De Pail so you probably hacked them for free wifi.

I daw you last week getting burgers out of the McDonalds skip bin out the back.

I saw your prison hooch recipe on the tube.

That was you spamming the forums with that fake Nigerian Princess ransom scam.

I agreed to be your parole officer after the last pyramid scheme you cooked up with those mums at the daycare centre you infiltrated with a fake baby in your pram ... but your letting me down.

Did you take those photos of Mitt Romney and the donkey?

I'm concerned with the things you do and the places you go. :) 
April 26, 2012 11:18:59 PM

I hope other people here realise we are close friends and you donated the sperm ... wait ... wrong person.

:) 
April 27, 2012 3:18:27 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Didnt Romney give his money away?
To who his rich friends. Romney is selfish and cares about his own kind the rich! he is a pathetic man to be a leader of this great country.
April 27, 2012 3:22:52 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Maybe it is true, and in that case I ought to call America's entire society of welfare earners as greedy and evil. Maybe they ought to be tossed in jail?

In modern day society, you need money to live a healthy and happy life. As much as you may disagree with me valiantly due to some religious or implanted idea from childhood, its true. To make money, you need an education and effort.

Have you ever heard people saying, "Don't feed the animals at the zoo, because then they will depend to be fed by humans instead of hunting for themselves and die"? Same analogy works for humans. If you keep giving money to the poor, they'll be more dependent as generations pass by. Liberals have a very difficult time grasping this concept and have been systematically destroying the United States for decades now. Perhaps because most liberals are the ones receiving handouts, and the ones in congress need to serve the poor to keep getting re-elected. Either way, if it doesn't stop soon, REAL soon, then there will be even worse issues.
Why do Republicans always put down the Liberals which is complete crap that we are receiving handouts where as you people are more corrupt and money hungry than we are you state.The republicans care about getting us into wars, screwing our students with these higher interest rates, and getting the rich more richer that is their goal all these years.They are in bed with banks and oil companies all the way!
April 27, 2012 3:35:24 AM

OOOPs marv
You just messed up there
Besides the needed responses, WW1, WW2, 911, lets look at Vietnam, or Korea

As for corruption, explain the housing bubble?
That helped put the entire world into a spin.
Or Spain, or Italy, or Greedce?
April 27, 2012 9:26:39 AM

I have failed to make anyone laugh.

/wanders off
April 27, 2012 12:39:19 PM

Actually marv, the last war a Repbulican actually started, as in instigated, was the American Civil War.
April 27, 2012 12:58:26 PM

I read an interesting article that I cant seem to find.

It basically said we need the rich to fund business. And this makes sense, the rich have so much money they can only save it and reinvest it. Capitalism would not work without a small population of "Rich" individuals putting up the capital. The issues come back down to when the wealthy establish a business how should the money that a business makes be re-proportioned to the people that work there?

April 27, 2012 1:17:44 PM

wanamingo said:

It basically said we need the rich to fund business. And this makes sense, the rich have so much money they can only save it and reinvest it. Capitalism would not work without a small population of "Rich" individuals putting up the capital. The issues come back down to when the wealthy establish a business how should the money that a business makes be re-proportioned to the people that work there?

Yeah, when was the last time you got a job from a poor person.
April 27, 2012 1:46:42 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Yeah, when was the last time you got a job from a poor person.

Probably like twice lol. Once from a self employed friend (started a diner) and from community service. Neither payed very well...... meh(one not at all).

From my point of view the reward system is messed up. Why should you give money to someone who makes 3.5 million a year and then give them a bonus when they run a company into the ground? Because they deserve it? What about the people who worked hard for that company 60 hour weeks did they work 1/500th as hard as the CEO?

I get an awesome bonus where I work and that make me feel like I have a stake in the company (Seriously it was like 20% of my yearly pay). Ive also worked at places like best buy and staples where no matter how hard you work you get an hourly wage and a 1.2% increase in pay. That type of practice deters people from actually trying. And rewards those who just have money and no effort involved, except from the people who actually work on the floor and actually make the money. They are rewarded the least.

April 27, 2012 2:08:59 PM

It's all about the business model. My company used to be an ESOP. My pay increases were 5.5-6% annually. Then the aging higher ups decided to sell the company to a multi-billion $ international conglomerate. Not only did the ESOP go away, (I and many others were not happy), but maximum performance increases now are 3%.

I think it's what these people are taught at these big universities. Almost as if greed is taught.

My father does the opposite in his business. He pays his people first and best. Hence, he attracts the best people in the industry and is able to hold onto them. This just makes so much sense to me. Then again, my father only has a 2 year degree from a community college so he was never indoctrinated by the "big business" schools, yet has been doing business in the IT industry for 30 years. And quite successfully too.
April 27, 2012 8:12:41 PM

wanamingo said:

A salary...

musical marv said:
Why do Republicans always put down the Liberals which is complete crap that we are receiving handouts where as you people are more corrupt and money hungry than we are you state.The republicans care about getting us into wars, screwing our students with these higher interest rates, and getting the rich more richer that is their goal all these years.They are in bed with banks and oil companies all the way!

I'm not Republican, there are a lot of view that I disagree with them with. I agree on Republicans with Economic issues mainly. Its absolutely true that liberals are the ones that are receiving handouts...the majority of working class are conservative. Republicans are not anymore corrupt or money hungry than any Democrat.

Also, its everybody's goal to get richer, and this mainly shows the biggest difference between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans are smart enough to figure out how to get richer, while the Democrats envy them in jealousy and then demand handouts.
April 27, 2012 8:19:08 PM

Whats more greedy?
Those that can work, but choose not to(and thus have nothing to share)
or those that do, work extremely hard, are successful, and dont share?
April 27, 2012 11:55:49 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Whats more greedy?
Those that can work, but choose not to(and thus have nothing to share)
or those that do, work extremely hard, are successful, and dont share?

Agreed 100%! You said it exactly.

Now wait and for the responses saying:
"Its not the poor's fault that they are poor" and
"Its all the Rich's fault" and
"Bush killed the economy"

I personally think that those who work hard and are successful already pay enough in taxation and contribute enough into the system. The Rich pay taxes AND they create jobs which thereby stimulates the economy which thereby increases tax revenue due to more tax paying people. However, somehow that's not enough, because the hand-out earners who do ZERO to contribute to the system, merely suck the blood and life out of the people who actually do.
April 28, 2012 4:16:31 AM

Heres the problem
Currently, things suck
The amounts of people in need are high, some good, some not, and alot thats always ridden the system.
If we make dramatic changes right now, for this period, to help everyone, then what happens when things get good?
I just watched someone showing off billions of dollars of empty federal buildings, millions of square feet, all being heating and maintained and...empty
Many of these properties sit in some of the highest taxes areas in the country, all over the country, and instead of selling or leasing, they sit.
Now some rich guy, some big corp, here there and everywhere were allowed to rent these buildings on the cheap, it would eliminate maintenace costs, and heating costs etc, and also would create a taxable scenario, turning this billions of dollar losses to a profit for us, and the government.
The republicans would, and are willing to do such things, wheres the dems on this?
If its some socialized ideal holding them back, they need to learn a few things, like number 1, it takes money to make money.
Instead of hating and demanding more of the rich, why not bolster them in avenues such as this, and everyone wins?
April 28, 2012 11:45:23 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
OOOPs marv
You just messed up there
Besides the needed responses, WW1, WW2, 911, lets look at Vietnam, or Korea

As for corruption, explain the housing bubble?
That helped put the entire world into a spin.
Or Spain, or Italy, or Greedce?
Do you blame Obama for this also?
April 28, 2012 2:09:47 PM

Reynod said:
I hope other people here realise we are close friends and you donated the sperm ... wait ... wrong person.

:) 

I gave you the necklace. winkwink
April 28, 2012 2:13:02 PM

musical marv said:
Do you blame Obama for this also?

Actually it was Clinton's policy in late '99 that started the issue with the housing bubble. Hear me out. In 99 he made the ARM loan available to the vast majority with intent to increase minority owned homes. The policy took official effect in 9/2000 if I recall correctly. The average ARM loan is 5 years.

When did the housing market collapse? 2005/2006? When everyone's new ARM loan expired.. the first 4-5 years under Bush were good after coming out of the dotcom bust and 9/11. I'm sure the excessive amounts being tossed around in the housing market assisted with that and Clinton did a great job in setting up the next Republican president to fail. Had Gore won, I wonder how it would have been handled and what the fallout would have looked like?
April 28, 2012 3:43:42 PM

If Gore won, they would find a away to put the blame somehow on Republicans. Clinton's Administration perhaps had great intentions, but they forced Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to single-handledly destroy the entire United States Economy, by forcing private banks to give out loans and then buying them off to themselves soon after. This process continued for years.

Only somebody who mis-understands the economy and current events in that era would blame President Bush for "causing" the crisis, or blame private banks/investors for "causing" the housing market crisis.
!